Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 12:23 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorytampa View Post
I don't think so, and it wasn't meant as derroguetory either. Fundementilists are by their very definition socially conservative. Conservative by it's definition is to keep things the way they are. That is the opposite of being "open minded" is it not? "Open Minded" is being open to change; being conservative is being closed to change.

My post was more in the spirit that I thought asking a conservative to have an open mind was kind of funny.
That's right, you tell him...we know ALL those Christians are conservatives! Get em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 01:23 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorytampa View Post
I don't think so, and it wasn't meant as derroguetory either. Fundementilists are by their very definition socially conservative. Conservative by it's definition is to keep things the way they are. That is the opposite of being "open minded" is it not? "Open Minded" is being open to change; being conservative is being closed to change.

My post was more in the spirit that I thought asking a conservative to have an open mind was kind of funny.
I'm a fundamentalists, at least by the true definition.

I also consider myself a conservative.

But I am constantly looking at change and seeking a fresh approach to things.

My mind certainly isn't closed.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:49 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,070,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I'm a fundamentalists, at least by the true definition.

I also consider myself a conservative.

But I am constantly looking at change and seeking a fresh approach to things.

My mind certainly isn't closed.
The perception is that, on the whole, the Christian Right is not progressive and thus is not open minded. I don't believe everyone who is Christian and a conservative is this way; however, I'm just telling you what the general perception is.

It does make sense however that if you use your religion as a guide for what is good for the whole society then you probably won't be open minded.

Thats where the Christian right gets labled as "being up in peoples business" because ultimately they want what is best for their beliefs and not what is best for everybody involved..

Again.. just my opinion..

Old 02-01-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
The perception is that, on the whole, the Christian Right is not progressive and thus is not open minded. I don't believe everyone who is Christian and a conservative is this way; however, I'm just telling you what the general perception is.

It does make sense however that if you use your religion as a guide for what is good for the whole society then you probably won't be open minded.

Thats where the Christian right gets labled as "being up in peoples business" because ultimately they want what is best for their beliefs and not what is best for everybody involved..

Again.. just my opinion..
I took victorytampa's comments to be very general and not directed solely at the political aspects of any of those labels.

Perhaps he did only mean in the political arena.

( I just realized I hardly ever 'talk' like I type...I don't think I hardly ever mutter the word 'perhaps'. Oh well, just an observation)

Old 02-01-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I took victorytampa's comments to be very general and not directed solely at the political aspects of any of those labels.

Perhaps he did only mean in the political arena.

( I just realized I hardly ever 'talk' like I type...I don't think I hardly ever mutter the word 'perhaps'. Oh well, just an observation)
But the two (religions and political arena) are one in the same for the Christian right. At least very closely tied together. Again.. just my perception.

If I say perhaps.. it makes me feel sinister..

Old 02-01-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Again.. just my perception.
Perhaps that's where we differ....in perception.

(In a totally non-sinister way)

Old 02-01-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Perhaps that's where we differ....in perception.

(In a totally non-sinister way)
Perhaps.. sounds like a great thread title though..

"Differences between a Christian Conservative and the political Christian Right"

Old 02-01-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Perhaps.. sounds like a great thread title though..

"Differences between a Christian Conservative and the political Christian Right"
Sounds good to me!

Old 02-01-2008, 02:26 PM

245 posts, read 625,360 times
I'm glad someone else has noticed this, it realy bugs me too. for awhile they got realy bad at trying to pull in those interested in "newage" kinds of things, falsly tittleing there programs. what irks me is the dishonesty of it, I'm sure if you called them on it they would say "oh we didn't lie" pointing to the words and ignoring there dishonest intent to decieve

Old 02-01-2008, 07:35 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
I agree completely. I was just thinking the other day that I have never been more anti-religion than since I moved to the US. I grew up, like many Germans, with an indifferent tolerance to religion. I had no problems with people who were religious, but was not religious myself. Live and let live, to each his own.

However, when I moved to the US, and religion was constantly put in my face, it became very annoying. Sometimes I think it makes one into an ugly person, because before, my image of e.g. Christians had been that they do some good charity work, that they are nice people etc. However, once you have encountered American fundamentalism, that all changes. I really have to keep reminding myself these days that there are plenty of wonderful Christians out there as well.

I don't think that many fundamentalists realize that they accomplish exactly the opposite of what they try to achieve. I have never been further from religion than here in America.
I agree. I grew up in an area where there were some religious people but most really didn't care or were, as you said, indifferently tolerant to religion. Then I moved to Fundamentalistville, and boy, it sure makes you wonder if there is a god! The ultra-religious really do get tiresome and annoying, sometimes its hard not to laugh when they start babbling at you. I want to say "But didn't they tell you the Easter Bunny isn't real????"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality