Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 11:46 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times

Advertisements

I may be a sucker for punishment. I am not sure who is tempting who ... am I being tempted by the faithful or am I tempting the faithful. Regardless I think I miss read the initial source of information that inspired my questions... his online profile links were websites devoted to calling out curput religious people and false profits that actually suggest coming in to contact with someone like me may have had a positive influence of him as he now appears to be open minded and critical of his previous beliefs. Maybe he finally made it out of the cult. Good for him. Maybe that is part of my contribution to society as a whole ... pushing the idea of critical thinking rather then just excepting things with blind faith. I totally fell like I had an impact on #1 and and know I have an impact of #3 as since first meeting #3 he still practices his faith, but is much more open minded and tolerant of the beliefs of other people and is more objective and critical of the actions of other people that follow his faith. Hmmmm maybe if more people had inter faith marriages there would be more verbal disputes in private house hold settings and less blood being shed over this stuff all over the world. Make love not war right !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 01:09 PM

18,494 posts, read 9,161,666 times
I'm an atheist. What's your number?

(joking...mostly...)

Old 11-04-2015, 02:19 PM

Wink Agnostic ... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I'm an atheist. What's your number?

(joking...mostly...)

Hey I said I was agnostic ... why go from one extreme to the other lol ! When it comes to idea to going to heaven or hell ... I think I join which ever line has the best concert line up. If I can't get in for whatever reason I can always try to pull the, but what do you mean? I'm on the list! Check again! I'm with Mike ? Not interested in being extremely passionate in either direction, just here to try to have a good time.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:21 PM

18,494 posts, read 9,161,666 times
The difference between agnostic and atheist seems pretty academic to me. I don't get too concerned about terminology and definitions.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:20 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
It seems to me that most people in the world are religious. If you meet any random person the odds are great that they are some form of theist.

What is much less likely is that they are some kind of conservative theist, which is what you seem to keep running into, even if maybe they are (like the JW) a little lapsed. But even that may not mean anything. After all, your finite sample of paramours is a vanishingly tiny percentage of the human race so it's hard to draw definitive conclusions from it.

I would just make an effort to put yourself in a position to meet freethinkers and liberal theists if that's what you'd prefer. Attend a UU church, look for agnostic groups on meetup.com, volunteer for some liberal cause. Things like that.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It seems to me that most people in the world are religious. If you meet any random person the odds are great that they are some form of theist.

What is much less likely is that they are some kind of conservative theist, which is what you seem to keep running into, even if maybe they are (like the JW) a little lapsed. But even that may not mean anything. After all, your finite sample of paramours is a vanishingly tiny percentage of the human race so it's hard to draw definitive conclusions from it.

I would just make an effort to put yourself in a position to meet freethinkers and liberal theists if that's what you'd prefer. Attend a UU church, look for agnostic groups on meetup.com, volunteer for some liberal cause. Things like that.
Very true statistically speaking. Not looking to meet anyone. I think I am likely where I need to be right now. I totally think things do happen for a reason, but the tricky part is understanding the reason.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:48 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Am I reading too much in to this or it is this just a coisidence? Anyone who knows me knows that I am completly agnostic. Really religious people generally make me super uncomfortable. When I am around really religious people in the back of my head I am always worried they are trying to con me in to converting. Similar to the character esqueleto in nacho libre I believe in science with a touch of a possibility of God, but I am not willing to put my money down on anyone one faith and blindly follow anything. I am REALLY not religious at all. Attending Catholic school until 19 did not change that either. My thinking is also not related to a lack of knowledge I have actually learned about many world religions, but think of this stuff like a subject and not a specific guide to life. I have been in 3 serious relationships with men in my life (still with the last one) and for some messed up reason all 3 of these men were like really religious. This did not actually change me much ... it may have sort of pushed them a little away from being as devout as they may have been without me in their lives. All 3 of these men persued me and not the other way around (so it is not exactly like I was trying to pull men away from their faith).

#1 Was a conservative Israeli Jew (we dated for a couple years), but it fizziled when I realized he would not actually marry to when we were older beacuse our kids would not be considered fully Jewish and he was totally in to his culture and fairth.

#2 His family were Jehova Witnesses and he was certainly not observant we met at a pool hall and he was drinking, always was at bars or night clubs and never went to the Kingdom Hall like his brother. His parents rarely did too. This one was much more serious and he periodically vocalized that he was considering getting back in to his faith. He went back and forth on this idea and eventually broke up with me after 3 years of dating me ( never sure if it was for someone else, to get back in to his religion or just because he needed get his head and life together and it was too difficulty doing that while being attached to me/someone else)

#3 Devout Muslim that fasts for Ramadan, prays 5 times a day and does all that other observant religious stuff that goes along with that. For some crazy reason he thought I might actually convert some day. No idea where he got that messed up idea, but that is never going to happen.

I though #2 and I were going to actually get married and stuff ( got dumped instead ). I accidently (... sort of came across one of his online profiles and he appears to be really in to religion and stuff ... which makes me think did I get dumped for GOD !!!!)

I swear I am not seeking these men out. They are totally approaching me and I have no desire to follow any religious stuff... my own or anyone else's. I do not dress or act conservatively either. I have never been in a serious relationship with anyone Catholic, Christian or not religious, which would actually make my life a whole lot easier. I could actally celebrate Christmas without any negativity ... what a miracle that would be.

Am I some sort of she devil trying to curpt religious men or is God just trying to stick it to me and be like ha ha ... their all mine .. submit to me or be sorry?
are you the weapon of god? I wold have some doubt because you are worried in the back of your mind. When i am with them the only thing I think about is enjoying the people I am with. They can't convert me because I know what they know and they get fustrated. Well, unless its my family, they crazy.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:04 AM

773 posts, read 786,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Am I some sort of she devil trying to curpt religious men or is God just trying to stick it to me and be like ha ha ... their all mine .. submit to me or be sorry?
Maybe God sent you to teach these guys that there is no one right religion. Or that judging others for their religion does not define anyone else but them.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:51 AM

689 posts, read 494,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Reading too much into it.

God has bigger things to worry about.
Yep screwing up its efforts at creation!

Old 11-08-2015, 09:17 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
Yep screwing up its efforts at creation!
one small problem with this take: It is running as planned and people are misrepresenting some traits of god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality