Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 06:19 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't really think they are ignorant or stupid in the sense you probably mean it. They are invested, and to maintain that investment they are deliberately blinkered.

I don't know. What I see here goes way beyond merely blinkered and a little denial.

Quote:

I never expect to open or change a mind like that; rather I have in mind the lurkers who are attempting to think these things through in the privacy of their own minds. Come to that, I suspect our fundamentalist interlocutors here have that in mind also, and so in a sense it IS the battle for souls (I would say, minds) that they envision.

I never expected to change a creationists mind. I did honestly hope for one to have the ability to find at least one quote from one of the scientists they brought up and initiate a discussion on the validity of their hero's rebuttal of evolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 06:23 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Wow, only being able to check occasionally , I am stunned. The level of ignorance and outright stupidity exhibited by creationists in the thread is beyond anything I have ever witnessed in any other forum I have ever participated in.

I'll let the others have fun continuing on with this if they want. I was really interested in a somewhat sensible exchange of information when I started this, hoping that some creationist would attempt to post some semi sane idea from his hero , but I see from the responses that the creationist ignorance is too thick and mind numbing to ever penetrate with common sense and facts.
I don't know any way to avoid that, unfortunately. Anyone who is willfully ignorant enough to believe the utter stupidity that they believe simply doesn't have the intellectual capacity to have an intelligent conversation about science. It's like trying to explain spherical trigonometry to my cat - I can lecture him for 20 minutes, and when I'm done, all he's going to do is stare at me and say "meow." Because no matter how carefully and patiently I explain it to him, anything beyond "meow" is just completely over his head.

Quote:
Its a pity that this embarrassing image of Christianity is put out there for others to see and used to judge Christianity on. There is no telling how many people have been driven away from Christianity by the very stuff we see here from creationists today.
I really don't think it's a pity at all - I actually think it's a wonderful thing. Christianity is a plague, a cancer on human society, and the more these people demonstrate the appalling ignorance that is the foundation of their primitive, barbaric religion, the more harm they do to it in the eyes of the curious. So I'm all for it - the more the want to prattle on, the more they benefit humanity by educating people about what a dreadful pit of ignorance Christianity is.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:26 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
I don't really think they are ignorant or stupid in the sense you probably mean it. They are invested, and to maintain that investment they are deliberately blinkered.
Sorry, but no - they are the absolute literal, living definition of "ignorant."

Quote:
noun

the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc.
Ignorant. The very definition of the word. There's no other way to put it.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Sorry, but no - they are the absolute literal, living definition of "ignorant."

Ignorant. The very definition of the word. There's no other way to put it.
Worse, they remain ignorant deliberately. To me, that makes them despicably dishonest and near-criminals. They ruin the lives of children with their lies and misinformation.

It's easy to give a pass to those unfortunates who truly do lack the intellectual capacity to discern truth from lies, fact from fiction. And we see them represented here on CD. But you don't see me badger them. They don't know any better.

But we see daily on these boards those who turn a consciously-blind eye to reason and truth in favour of fairy tales and lies.

They are my enemy. They should be the enemy of all who value truth, honesty and morality.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:43 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
I don't know. What I see here goes way beyond merely blinkered and a little denial.
I would not characterize it as "a little" denial or "merely" blinkered. It is massive and extensive denial and to my mind being blinkered is a pretty serious issue. I did not mean to trivialize it. I just believe that somewhere underneath all that denial is some actual neurons in communication with each other ;-)

Old 11-05-2015, 06:52 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
Quote:
I would not characterize it as "a little" denial or "merely" blinkered. It is massive and extensive denial and to my mind being blinkered is a pretty serious issue. I did not mean to trivialize it. I just believe that somewhere underneath all that denial is some actual neurons in communication with each other ;-)

I get your point. But the level of ignorance goes beyond merely not wanting to know the truth. No one can say something as stupid as suggesting that Nobel laureates are the stupid ones who will find out they are actually at the first grade level of understanding without some serious thinking deficiencies. And this from people who very likely believe in the reality of talking snakes and donkeys.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:53 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Actually, I am enjoying it immensely. It's hysterical.

I gave it a shot, and just as expected, he only got to the 3-minute mark before he trotted out the complete falsehood about evolution violating the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, followed immediately by the outright lie that there is no record of any new species ever evolving. That was the first 3 minutes;' now he's already on to the tired old canard about the tornado going through the junk yard and creating a 747.

Yes, Eusebius, it's very entertaining. Thank you. I haven't seen a clown show of this caliber since the last time the circus was in town.
I source checked this Trey Smith ....Interesting guy.

Trey Smith, originally Brian "Trey" Smith, is an ex-safe robber, author, documentary producer, and founder of the God in a Nutshell Project. Trey Smith is best known for his role in the 1999 safe robbery of prominent television evangelist Mike Murdock, a lead fundraiser for TBN, PTL, Daystar, Benny Hinn and others. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trey_Smith

Old 11-05-2015, 06:53 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
I really don't think it's a pity at all - I actually think it's a wonderful thing. Christianity is a plague, a cancer on human society, and the more these people demonstrate the appalling ignorance that is the foundation of their primitive, barbaric religion, the more harm they do to it in the eyes of the curious. So I'm all for it - the more the want to prattle on, the more they benefit humanity by educating people about what a dreadful pit of ignorance Christianity is.
I absolutely agree. Well said.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I source checked this Trey Smith ....Interesting guy.

Trey Smith, originally Brian "Trey" Smith, is an ex-safe robber, author, documentary producer, and founder of the God in a Nutshell Project. Trey Smith is best known for his role in the 1999 safe robbery of prominent television evangelist Mike Murdock, a lead fundraiser for TBN, PTL, Daystar, Benny Hinn and others. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trey_Smith
All of which makes him an expert on the subject of evolution. PLUS.... he can put God in a nutshell! I think we should call MIT and have them study his brain.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:43 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
All of which makes him an expert on the subject of evolution. PLUS.... he can put God in a nutshell! I think we should call MIT and have them study his brain.
More foolish lore to add to Eusie's Legacy Of Shame.

Gonna have to build an addition soon....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality