Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 07:52 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times

Advertisements

Some comments from creationists on a couple of threads is the inspiration for this thread. More than one creationist has insisted that I first "prove" evolution to them before they continue when discussing related evolution topics. Which brings up a couple of questions for me.

First , why do creationists need me to try and explain or prove evolution to them in a few posts? Are you guys not capable of googling evolution and choosing from among the number of scholarly sites that teach evolution , IF you are truly interested in learning about it? Why ask people here to explain in a few posts what schools take entire semesters if not years to teach? What kind of sense does that make if you are truly interested in knowing the truth about evolution?

Second, how many creationists have truly learned what evolution teaches before they rejected it? I have not yet met a creationist who argued against evolution with a solid understanding of what it says. The easiest way to tell that a creationist doesn't really understand evolution is when they ask something like "if we come from chimps, how come chimps are still here"? Evolution doesn't teach this , and to ask questions like this or the myriad other silly questions or claims about evolution that creationists bring up just shows that they haven't even bothered to learn the facts about a theory they claim is wrong. How can you know its wrong if you don't really know what it teaches? And if you don't know what it teaches ( and none of the creationists here do ) , how can you know it is wrong , and why do you fear getting a full and true understanding of what it teaches before rejecting it? Do you fear it may sound too sensible if you were to let yourself actually consider it?

Third , and really the reason for this thread , how many of you who ask for proof of evolution would really bother to try and understand the answers given to you in response if someone were to try? Lets be honest here; how many of you guys out there can honestly say that you would seriously try to learn what evolution taught and make your judgement on it based on actual truthful knowledge of it should an evolutionist here bother to try and guide you through learning it? How many of you would have the courage to set your religious prejudices aside and learn what the Theory of Evolution claims , as taught by someone telling you the facts about what it says rather than the false and misleading things that religious sites tell you evolution claims, like that we come from chimps? Be honest with yourselves and the rest of us here at CD; if someone bothered to teach you, would you truly and honestly attempt to learn what they were teaching?

Finally, why are creationists afraid of knowledge? I have no fear of learning anything anyone wanted to teach me about any religion . If someone had a good point , I would be capable of accepting it. I have studied conservative Christianity, Eastern Orthodoxy, Quakers, NDE's, the mystics from Meister Eckhart to Brother Lawrence , Buddhism, Taoism, etc etc. I have 3 4' wide shelves on my bookcase devoted strictly to religious books, including a NT in the original Greek I was well on my way to learning how to read before I began to become disillusioned by most all religion. And I can tell you what each religion believes in truth rather than in some caricature created by those that disbelieve , and give a good response to why I don't believe what I don't accept, based on solid knowledge of what each religion says rather than ignorance of what each says because it scares me to know the truth about them.

And I don't believe any creationist can say the same about why they reject evolution. And I wonder why that is.

Last edited by wallflash; 11-05-2015 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 08:01 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
The whole thread title is an oxymoron.

Creationist don't believe in evolution. Why would they "learn" when the answers are already laid out for them?

Questions scare creationists.

How can you prove anything to anybody when they believe they already have all the answers?

Creationists are amongst the religious extreme when it comes to Christians. All the proof for a logical mind can be spelled out from A to Z, they simply won't allow it, hence why there is such a disconnect between creationists and other sects of Christianity.

Why think for yourself when someone has already done it? Simple minds, imo.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:09 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Creationists are too close-minded to consider logic.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:27 PM

11,028 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Well think about it logically. Why would I (for example), want to bother with learning all that stuff when I already know the truth? That means the 'truth' I have been indoctrinated into believing.

Quote:
How can you prove anything to anybody when they believe they already have all the answers?
Hey, I'm just trying to understand them myself, just as you are.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:29 PM

11,028 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Creationists are too close-minded to consider logic.
What is the meaning of this word, 'logic'?

Old 11-05-2015, 10:32 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
What is the meaning of this word, 'logic'?
Well, it has no relationship with religion.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:03 AM

248 posts, read 175,370 times
The story of "Creation Story" does not contradict evolution.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:34 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soular View Post
The story of "Creation Story" does not contradict evolution.
It does when you take the bible literally.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:17 AM

689 posts, read 495,092 times
Creationists seem to compartmentalise their brain so that logic doesn't impinge!

Old 11-06-2015, 07:41 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Some comments from creationists on a couple of threads is the inspiration for this thread. More than one creationist has insisted that I first "prove" evolution to them before they continue when discussing related evolution topics. Which brings up a couple of questions for me.

First , why do creationists need me to try and explain or prove evolution to them in a few posts? Are you guys not capable of googling evolution and choosing from among the number of scholarly sites that teach evolution , IF you are truly interested in learning about it? Why ask people here to explain in a few posts what schools take entire semesters if not years to teach? What kind of sense does that make if you are truly interested in knowing the truth about evolution?

Second, how many creationists have truly learned what evolution teaches before they rejected it? I have not yet met a creationist who argued against evolution with a solid understanding of what it says. The easiest way to tell that a creationist doesn't really understand evolution is when they ask something like "if we come from chimps, how come chimps are still here"? Evolution doesn't teach this , and to ask questions like this or the myriad other silly questions or claims about evolution that creationists bring up just shows that they haven't even bothered to learn the facts about a theory they claim is wrong. How can you know its wrong if you don't really know what it teaches? And if you don't know what it teaches ( and none of the creationists here do ) , how can you know it is wrong , and why do you fear getting a full and true understanding of what it teaches before rejecting it? Do you fear it may sound too sensible if you were to let yourself actually consider it?

Third , and really the reason for this thread , how many of you who ask for proof of evolution would really bother to try and understand the answers given to you in response if someone were to try? Lets be honest here; how many of you guys out there can honestly say that you would seriously try to learn what evolution taught and make your judgement on it based on actual truthful knowledge of it should an evolutionist here bother to try and guide you through learning it? How many of you would have the courage to set your religious prejudices aside and learn what the Theory of Evolution claims , as taught by someone telling you the facts about what it says rather than the false and misleading things that religious sites tell you evolution claims, like that we come from chimps? Be honest with yourselves and the rest of us here at CD; if someone bothered to teach you, would you truly and honestly attempt to learn what they were teaching?

Finally, why are creationists afraid of knowledge? I have no fear of learning anything anyone wanted to teach me about any religion . If someone had a good point , I would be capable of accepting it. I have studied conservative Christianity, Eastern Orthodoxy, Quakers, NDE's, the mystics from Meister Eckhart to Brother Lawrence , Buddhism, Taoism, etc etc. I have 3 4' wide shelves on my bookcase devoted strictly to religious books, including a NT in the original Greek I was well on my way to learning how to read before I began to become disillusioned by most all religion. And I can tell you what each religion believes in truth rather than in some caricature created by those that disbelieve , and give a good response to why I don't believe what I don't accept, based on solid knowledge of what each religion says rather than ignorance of what each says because it scares me to know the truth about them.

And I don't believe any creationist can say the same about why they reject evolution. And I wonder why that is.
You have several problems with your post.
  1. I am a Creationist and I'm not afraid of knowledge as you state. I love science.
  2. We need you to prove evolution to show you that your belief in such an untenable position is merely faith-based.
  3. How many Creationists learned what evolution teaches before they rejected it? Probably 99% of them. We were all brainwashed with that philosophy in school. And the more we dug into the scientific facts against it the more we discarded it as a farce.
  4. We don't, as you wrongly state: "fear getting a full and true understanding of what it teaches before rejecting it?" We just want to make sure that what we were taught about evolution was true or not. That's what science is all about; testing theories to see if they are correct or not.
  5. You queried: "how many of you who ask for proof of evolution would really bother to try and understand the answers given to you in response if someone were to try?" I've already gone through the pros and cons of evolution. And usually what people post as links in favor of evolution is found to merely be filled with "It seems to me" or "Maybe" or "it could be" or "we suppose" or "based on our mathematical statistics" all of which means they don't really have a concrete answer.
  6. I have studied world religions in college as well as a plethora of other disciplines. I'm not afraid of knowledge. Knowledge should lead one to better understanding of the world around them. Education is all about testing whether what is propounded by the current ideology is correct or not. If it is found to be wanting it should be cast aside. Evolution has been found to be lacking in proving itself by science. It should be put under the category of Philosophy. But the Philosophers wouldn't want in under their umbrella because it can't be proven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality