Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 12:19 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

Sometimes it almost seems like the words Christianity and stupidity could be used interchangeably. Like this Christian couple:

Quote:
Faith healing couple sent to prison for up to seven years in the tragic death of their SECOND child from treatable pneumonia
  • Herbert, 45, and Catherine Schaible, 44, defied an order to get medical care for their children after their two-year-old son died in 2009
  • They prayed over eight-month-old Brandon in 2013 as he also died of treatable pneumonia
  • Philadelphia couple sentenced to three and a half to seven years in prison
Read more: Philadelphia faith healing couple jailed after SECOND child dies from treatable pneumonia | Daily Mail Online
In a nutshell, the couple belong to a church that preaches faith healing
Their first child died of treatable pneumonia
They're put on probation
While they're on probation their second child contracts pneumonia, again they pray instead of taking child to hospital
Child dies
This time they're sent to prison.

They should have been sent the first.

If anyone wants absolute proof prayer does NOT cure physical illnesses look no further than this. But Christians blithely go on believing God will cure their sick children if they just pray.

What astonishes me is how prevalent the belief is in face of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Do Christians not read their own Bible?????

As many pointed out to me in my other thread on James 5:14-15 God does NOT promise physical healing ANYEWHERE in the Bible. So why do the vast majority of Christians believe God does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 12:40 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,159,286 times
That's nuts.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:54 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,322,813 times
People die refusing medical treatment in the group I was raised in. I actually can understand how it happens. Sometimes I feel like I was part of a really unethical social experiment. I would hate to be in anyone's shoes that woke up after allowing their children to suffer or die.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:13 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Sometimes it almost seems like the words Christianity and stupidity could be used interchangeably. Like this Christian couple:

In a nutshell, the couple belong to a church that preaches faith healing
Their first child died of treatable pneumonia
They're put on probation
While they're on probation their second child contracts pneumonia, again they pray instead of taking child to hospital
Child dies
This time they're sent to prison.

They should have been sent the first.

If anyone wants absolute proof prayer does NOT cure physical illnesses look no further than this. But Christians blithely go on believing God will cure their sick children if they just pray.

What astonishes me is how prevalent the belief is in face of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Do Christians not read their own Bible?????

As many pointed out to me in my other thread on James 5:14-15 God does NOT promise physical healing ANYEWHERE in the Bible. So why do the vast majority of Christians believe God does?
There is nothing about Christianity that tells people to refuse medical treatment. Unless you can quote me chapter and verse that says it, don't blame the religion for the idiots that claim it any more than you want me to blame atheism for Stalin.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
The parents got off lucky. I would have thrown away the key.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:27 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
People die refusing medical treatment in the group I was raised in. I actually can understand how it happens. Sometimes I feel like I was part of a really unethical social experiment. I would hate to be in anyone's shoes that woke up after allowing their children to suffer or die.
The lack of simple comprehension in this couple is what baffles me. You could shoot their first kid with a gun right in front of them and if you aimed the gun at their second child it still wouldn't register in their minds that if you pulled the trigger their second child would die as well. I just cannot comprehend the mentality that drives people like this. This is a perfect example of the power of religious indoctrination. I don't think there is any greater power in the world than religious indoctrination, not even love, because people who have been religiously indoctrinated cannot be reasoned with. No amount of proof contrary to their religious beliefs will persuade them. All a judge can do is lock them up. Sterilization wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:41 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
There is nothing about Christianity that tells people to refuse medical treatment. Unless you can quote me chapter and verse that says it, don't blame the religion for the idiots that claim it any more than you want me to blame atheism for Stalin.
It is brainwashing.

A Fundamentalist Ideologue Christian extremist sect. Those poor babies. The died with labored breath.

They are a black eye on Christianity as are other cult movements such as Quiverfull, and polygamous cults that have attached themselves to Christianity.

Those poor babies.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:43 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
It is brainwashing.

A Fundamentalist Ideologue Christian extremist sect. Those poor babies. The died with labored breath.

They are a black eye on Christianity as are other cult movements such as Quiverfull, and polygamous cults that have attached themselves to Christianity.

Those poor babies.
This has nothing to do with Biblical Christianity. You can't blame Christianity for that any more than you can tell Mormons they are the reason for Warren Jeffs. But, of course, I get called a "hater" if I dare to suggest someone isn't a Christian.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:48 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
The pastor or preacher or whatever his title is should be thrown in prison. Anyone who preaches that is a monster. The parents, while stupid, were still very much victims in this horrible situation.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:49 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
This has nothing to do with Biblical Christianity. You can't blame Christianity for that any more than you can tell Mormons they are the reason for Warren Jeffs. But, of course, I get called a "hater" if I dare to suggest someone isn't a Christian.
Do you blame Islam for Muslim extremism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality