Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 09:23 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
That's it. Science is irrelevant. You ought to just stick with that instead of trying to bring science into it. As I wrote in my previous post, which you confirmed, the science is simply denied for this reason. It's an imperative.

It is important to bring science to the forebear on this topic since it is recent scientific findings which are undoing evolution.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:27 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
It is important to bring science to the forebear on this topic since it is recent scientific findings which are undoing evolution.
Actually no.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Actually no.
Actually, yes.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
There is no Satan. Genesis didn't happen. The great flood didn't happen. All life on earth began with numerous simple RNA strands. Modern humans existed in Africa nearly 100,000 years ago. You are closely related to chimpanzees and gorillas. You are a mammal. You are an animal. God did not create man (or anything else). Man created God! There was no original sin and there was no need for human sacrifice on the cross. You are not saved from your sins. You will go where everyone else goes when you die.

If you want to deny science then you should stop using your computer and the internet - that's all science.
The above is based solely on your say so just as evolution is.

I don't want to deny science. Science is what is used to overthrow evolution.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:43 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Please get this thread back on topic. The topic is: Why is the theory of Evolution denied but other scientific theories are not. The validity of the Theory of Evolution can be discussed in other threads.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:03 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
If we are humans are natural and not supernatural, than maybe there is no hope for that Pie In The Sky When You Die.

A significant portion of the US population has been taught since childhood that "The earth is a desert drear, Heaven is my home (1)." No hope of heaven will result in a lot of people being nearly suicidal.

(1) actual conservative Lutheran hymn

Old 11-19-2015, 10:07 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Many people have sung songs with the following theme since childhood:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=arEgXc8VnR0

Deny those people their Pie in the Sky (after they have been taught that life is meaningless without it) and they'll go nuts. So the idea that humans are just another animal that lives and dies like any other isn't going to go over well.

That's why I say that religion can produce "psychological dependence", much like some drugs (legal and illegal) can. I see religious leaders as the original drug dealers. But that's a whole different topic.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Actually, yes.
References please.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:18 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Gocardinals had linked to a Muslim lecturer who explained why he accepted evolution for all other species but humans and why due to his faith that he did not accept it for us. I think it illustrates why the theory of evolution is difficulf for some to accept. I do not see the level of acceptance or denial of this theory as a relationship between how much a person believes but one of determined by how literal his or her belief is. Mainstream Christians and Jews for the most part accept the theory and tie it into God's way of doing it. Those who are a bit more literal in their reading of their Holy Book thinks that humans are special creation by God so that although a bird may evolve from a certain type of dinosaur man was created from scratch by their god and of course the hard core literalist denouce evolution because it contradicts their literal reading. If the Bible says it happened this way then no evidence or logic can point to anything else.

Obviously on these forums some of the literalists lump all those beleivers who are part of the first two groups as atheists. But they seem to do that with all topics that it is either their literal readings of the Bible or you are against the Bible. I wonder if a person is either tall or short but nothing inbetween for them as well. Most other theories do not come in what they preceive as a conflict between the science or their literal beliefs. Other parts of science do get tossed out such as much of geology but some of the literalists seem to associate geology as being a result of evolution and trying to make the earth old just to support the evolutists as they call them. Without Lyells Principles of Geology on board the Beagle, Darwin may not have come upon his theory of evolution and the literalists would now be calling all of us who are on the side of evolution as Wallanceists, not as catchy of a label.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Gocardinals had linked to a Muslim lecturer who explained why he accepted evolution for all other species but humans and why due to his faith that he did not accept it for us. I think it illustrates why the theory of evolution is difficulf for some to accept. I do not see the level of acceptance or denial of this theory as a relationship between how much a person believes but one of determined by how literal his or her belief is. Mainstream Christians and Jews for the most part accept the theory and tie it into God's way of doing it. Those who are a bit more literal in their reading of their Holy Book thinks that humans are special creation by God so that although a bird may evolve from a certain type of dinosaur man was created from scratch by their god and of course the hard core literalist denouce evolution because it contradicts their literal reading. If the Bible says it happened this way then no evidence or logic can point to anything else.
That has always been the reason. Science must remain irrelevant. However, a few honest creationists do emerge. Kurt Wise, a geologists, comes to mind. He is very conflicted in the Geology and what he believes scripture demands. He admits that no matter the evidence, the science, he would still be a YEC because that is what he believes the bible seems to indicate. He knows the evidence points to an ancient Earth, so he remains conflicted.

Last edited by PanTerra; 11-19-2015 at 10:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality