Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:51 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,597 times

Advertisements

I don't consider them one in the same. I am Christian and I am conservative. Yet I wouldn't say (and most wouldn't) that I am a follower of the "Chrisitan Right". I think that Christian conservatism is a great belief, however the majority of the Christian Right that I know of, and I know a lot of them, tend to blindly follow whatever the Hanity's and Limbaugh's tell them. That's not to say that I disagree with them or hate them like the left does, but I just try to see things from a less biased viewpoint and I try to see things from as many prespectives as I can before I take a position on something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 12:41 PM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Conservative Christian Vs. The political Christian Right
I'm not sure if "vs" would be a representative of my view.
For me (as an evangelical)... a "conservative Christian" would be Bible believing traditionalist. I know... now define traditionalist. However the part that would not change would be "Bible believing". Kinda like Republicans and Democratic both believing in Democracy.
"Political Christian right"... could represent a political agenda from Christian morality, within scripture that manifests in the voting booth

Quote:
Are there differences?
Yes.... the polls represent many differing views. For me the biggest difference is a "Conservative Christian" can be many different denominations within Christianity... and the Christian Right is generally a label assigned to the Evangelical Community at large.

Quote:
What are the perceptions of the Christian Right?
I suppose if your looking from the outside in... or the inside out. I consider myself a Christian Right-winger... and find most who share similar views are, Bible believing, hard working, independent, people who feel pain like everyone else. Those who aren't in the Christian Right see us as a bunch of hypocrites, and accuse us of going around "passing judgement" on others... or so I've been told on more than one occasion.

Quote:
Is a Conservative Christian presumed to be part of the Christian Right?
I don't think so.... but again... this is from the inside out.

Quote:
Has the Christian Right helped this country?
Yes.... certainly.... and conversely have hurt our country, but can anyone claim a pure record? Our founding fathers were ''mostly" Christian Conservative (by today's standards) and I'm sure would vote Christian Right in the voting both.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:55 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Are there differences?

What are the perceptions of the Christian Right?

Is a Conservative Christian presumed to be part of the Christian Right?

Has the Christian Right helped this country?
I consider conservative christian denominations to be the Lutherans, Catholics, Episcipalians, etc. But the members of those churches tend to be more politically liberal. Where as a liberal Christian church, AG, Four Square, Calvary chaples, tend to have members that are in the religious right.

Meaning:if you got to an Lutheran church the worship will be very low-key, suits and tie on every one, pretty traditional. But you'll find that the members are more likely to sympathise with gay rights, peace movements, abortion rights etc.

If you attend an AG church you will find pretty upbeat music consisting of electric guitars, etc. and be very hardpressed to find an organ or a hymnal. The congregation will consist of older men in business casual to a younger group wearing tight pants and mohawks. But these churches are the embodiment of the "religious right" The congragation still supports Bush, and would puss for a human life amendment as well as a marriage amendmant.

This is just what I gather as I was raised a little bit Lutheran and a little bit AG. Your experience may be different. Not all Lutheran churches are probably as politically liberal and active as the I one I go to. The AG church I go to is probably one of the less political as we like to keep it seperate, but the ideas of the right are there. (I don't necassarily agree with a lot of it)

If anyone disagrees, I'm interested to hear other opinions.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:48 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
The "Christian" Right picks a few Bible passages that support their agenda, while ignoring (or more specifically saying they are no longer relevant) passages which don't.

Example: The New Testament meantions Homosexuality 5 times, and this is enough to make constitutional amendments against it.

There are 20+ passages talking about the evils of being rich, and how the rich should sell what they have and give it to the poor
-- so if you want to ban gay marriage based on 5 passages, why not pass laws against poverty based on 20+ passages?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:50 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Very true. The media contributes to this a lot but they aren't the only ones. Unfortunately a lot of people want issues simplified to make a nice quick hasty decision instead of thinking about the intricacies of the problem and the actions you have and their impact on others.

For example, you give Wal Mart your business, you help them keep a sweatshop in China going.

You move to AZ to retire and use a lot of water, thats water thats not growing crops in winter for the rest of the nation.

Very complex issues that require a lot of thought and intricate solutions if our society/nation is to stand the test of time. However a lot of people want to simplify things to one idea.
I absolutely couldn't agree more! People want politics to be a matter of convenience further leading to polarization.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:48 PM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The "Christian" Right picks a few Bible passages that support their agenda, while ignoring (or more specifically saying they are no longer relevant) passages which don't.

Example: The New Testament meantions Homosexuality 5 times, and this is enough to make constitutional amendments against it.

There are 20+ passages talking about the evils of being rich, and how the rich should sell what they have and give it to the poor
-- so if you want to ban gay marriage based on 5 passages, why not pass laws against poverty based on 20+ passages?
I'm am not aware of a constitutional admendment against homosexuals. I'm aware of the proposed Marriage Admendment to protect the santity of marriage.

In addition.... There is a difference between practicing sin and failing to utilize your blessings in a Godly manner. I understand your premise but you reach the wrong conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality