Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 11:06 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Oh, I see. If the Bible "drives countless people to madness and suicide " then it should be removed, but if it saves only 1 life, then it should stay.... So saving one person because of the Bible is more important than 1 life taken because of it. Gotcha...

Hypocrisy:

the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.
Setting up a trap hypocrisy question that is not based in reality = intellectual dishonesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 11:07 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
That doesn't give you the right to deface a donated Bible with a message of hate for the Bible.
Clearly not everyone agrees with you that it is defacement. As Vizio indicated, the Bible remains usable.

Quote:
This shows me that the interest is not in protecting legal boundaries, but a pure personal resentment towards the Word of God.
That's nonsense. Such self-ratifying silliness indicates that you're not willing to discuss the matter rationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If you REALLY want to do that, knock yourself out. Honestly, I can think of better things to spend my time and money on...but whatever floats your boat.
I'm just talking about what is and isn't legitimate. I'm talking about right and wrong, not what I myself am interested in doing personally. Unlike some other folks, I can have a moral perspective without acting out in behaviors that are antisocial.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:10 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,523 times
Quote:
Setting up a trap hypocrisy question that is not based in reality = intellectual dishonesty.
How is it not based in reality? That is what YOU said. You specifically said that they should stay if they would save even 1 life. You then said that the only reason that they should be taken out is if they "drive countless people to madness and suicide". Do you not see the hypocrisy there?

Old 11-24-2015, 11:12 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Clearly not everyone agrees with you that it is defacement. As Vizio indicated, the Bible remains usable.

That's nonsense. Such self-ratifying silliness indicates that you're not willing to discuss the matter rationally.

I'm just talking about what is and isn't legitimate. I'm talking about right and wrong, not what I myself am interested in doing personally.
I think Jeff is absolutely correct. Going to the extreme of attaching one's own message does demonstrate a hatred for the Bible.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:14 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Atheism drives people to suicide because there is no hope in your version of reality. NONE.
I no longer need "hope" since I am no longer a miserable Christian fundamentalist who was taught to hate himself.

Last edited by Freak80; 11-24-2015 at 12:08 PM..

Old 11-24-2015, 11:15 AM
bUU

Quote:
Going to the extreme of attaching one's own message does demonstrate a hatred for the Bible.
Have you see the stickers? I don't remember, but I think they are explicit about condemning "LITERAL" interpretation of the Bible, rather than condemning the Bible itself, as it should be used, as parable.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:28 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Have you see the stickers? I don't remember, but I think they are explicit about condemning "LITERAL" interpretation of the Bible, rather than condemning the Bible itself, as it should be used, as parable.
Wait...weren't you the one that was talking about a bound packet of info to attach to the front cover? Not just a little sticker.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:34 AM
bUU

Quote:
Wait...weren't you the one that was talking about a bound packet of info to attach to the front cover? Not just a little sticker.
Yes that was me. I didn't describe what the pamphlet would include. Imagine it were just a summary of the Book of Mormon, or of the Qur'an. Or a pamphlet that outlines how the Bible is parable and shouldn't be taken literally, along with some additional references to materials that readers should consider just as valid sources of spiritual wisdom, such as Eastern texts, Native American folklore, etc.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I no longer need hope since I am no longer a miserable Christian fundamentalist who was taught to hate himself.
Now you need to learn to love yourself.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:09 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I no longer need "hope" since I am no longer a miserable Christian fundamentalist who was taught to hate himself.
If you were miserable and hated yourself as a Christian then you were doing it wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality