Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2015, 08:44 AM

50,082 posts, read 20,567,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Exactly what atheists have done. They have used separation of church and state laws to gradually create a culture where it is offensive to speak of God outside of the church walls. Can't have that. You might offend someone! Thank goodness at least some people like Carrie Fisher are pushing back:

Star Wars The Foce Awakens' Carrie Fisher slams Lord's Prayer advert ban | Daily Mail Online
Don't blame us. If you hadn't been so pushy in trying to shoehorn religion into politics, the workplace, hospitals, the home, Law, education and even science for cripe's sake, we wouldn't have to do this.

And we shall just have to manage without Carrie Fisher's support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 12:38 PM

63,538 posts, read 39,828,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Thank you for the bold PROVING my assertion. it is NOT RELIGION you are against, it is any acknowledgment of GOD, period. Your sham concerns about the establishment of religion are exposed!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That is and has been my point, there is NO Constitutional provision barring the mention or acknowledgment of God in the public square. The ONLY prohibition is against RELIGION. You seem unable to understand the distinction because you obviously equate acknowledging God with establishing a religion. It is NOT!!!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Let's turn it around: My understanding of God is better than yours. Even most atheists think so. So my understanding of God is more appropriate for the public square than yours. Is that okay with you? Since your conception of God is so offensive, would it be okay with you if we ripped it from the public square as long as it was replaced by mine?
No?
Then your sham concerns about acknowledgement of God are exposed. You couldn't care less about the acknowledgement of God unless it was consistent with your religion.
Not true. Clearly you are not very familiar with me or my views. But thank you for highlighting the fact that God is a generic term that can apply to any religion or none. I simply want to stop this assault on God that is born of a rejection of religion. The many religious conceptions are frequently so heinous and irrational that they represent a threat to society. But the acknowledgment of God does NOT!

Old 11-29-2015, 12:42 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,585,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Don't blame us. If you hadn't been so pushy in trying to shoehorn religion into politics, the workplace, hospitals, the home, Law, education and even science for cripe's sake, we wouldn't have to do this.

And we shall just have to manage without Carrie Fisher's support.
So "The New Atheist" zealot missionaries want to ban the sacred texts … (I'm not surprised …)

What's next … ??? Rounding up people of faith and forcing us into "re-education camps" … ??? (It would be for our own good, of course, I suppose …)

Old 11-29-2015, 01:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,077,686 times
Quote:

Funny, in the south, you would go to jail just for public nudity.

But not for child molestation if your last name is Duggar. Josh wasn't even arrested. His daddy took him down to talk to a cop he knew and Josh got a good talking to.

So.... public nudity: jail

Child molestation: a lecture from your dad's friend

Interesting set of values in the south. Then there's Texas, the proud buckle of the Bible Belt, where it's legal to have sex with a horse....... You might want to re-think that whole perversions claim. Sex with a horse is illegal in CA, BTW. A state where you'll find a Bible in most hotel rooms. And a lot of people who don't want anyone having sex with the livestock.

p.s. Your link was from 2008. Old news. Really old.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-29-2015 at 01:53 PM..

Old 11-29-2015, 01:43 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,997,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
So "The New Atheist" zealot missionaries want to ban the sacred texts … (I'm not surprised …)

What's next … ??? Rounding up people of faith and forcing us into "re-education camps" … ??? (It would be for our own good, of course, I suppose …)
Let's keep this in perspective.

No atheist has advocated the ban of religion in private spaces. Pray all you want in your home or church. Wish every person you meet "Merry Christmas". Believe in an afterlife, miracles, watever floats your boat. Say anything you want on your Facebook page, write a book and get it published. It's all good.

Then we come to public property, such as schools, courthouses, public universities, government office buildings and public parks. This is where atheists draw the line. To be fair to all, no government resources should be used to promote religion. Dont put up government sponsored signs promoting one version of religion or non-religion. Don't put one type of holy book out without putting all types out. Don't assemble everybody for a public meeting and pray.

See the difference? Do anything you want in private, but don't insert religion into government.

No re-education camps are contemplated by anybody other than the Christian Right.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:51 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,890,227 times
Quote:

Have you actually read why the Freedom From Religion Foundation objected to the Bible's being in that hotel?

If you don't understand the specific circumstances of why the issue was raised, then you shouldn't make any comments until you indicate yourself on that issue.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:57 PM

50,082 posts, read 20,567,586 times
Quote:

Please...someone else want to take this grotesque "If we ban drunk drivers..what's next? Crucifying anyone with a lawnmower?" strawman? .I can hardly bear it.

Oh, thanks. You did. Now I can keep my dinner down.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:19 PM

10,077 posts, read 5,704,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
But not for child molestation if your last name is Duggar. Josh wasn't even arrested. His daddy took him down to talk to a cop he knew and Josh got a good talking to.

So.... public nudity: jail

Child molestation: a lecture from your dad's friend
This again? How about blaming the cop for not doing anything, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Interesting set of values in the south. Then there's Texas, the proud buckle of the Bible Belt, where it's legal to have sex with a horse....... You might want to re-think that whole perversions claim. Sex with a horse is illegal in CA, BTW. A state where you'll find a Bible in most hotel rooms. And a lot of people who don't want anyone having sex with the livestock.

p.s. Your link was from 2008. Old news. Really old.

I have never once here of a case of bestiality in Texas. If there is, it is extremely rare. There is probably no law in Texas because there has never been a need for law. People know better than to do such perverted things. Texans don't celebrate having sex out in the public square either. Doesn't matter if the link is old. The festival still goes on.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,077,686 times
Quote:
The festival still goes on.
Does it? You do a VERY good job of keeping up to date on all-things-gay. Impressive.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:56 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,359,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Let's turn it around: My understanding of God is better than yours. Even most atheists think so. So my understanding of God is more appropriate for the public square than yours. Is that okay with you? Since your conception of God is so offensive, would it be okay with you if we ripped it from the public square as long as it was replaced by mine?

No?

Then your sham concerns about acknowledgement of God are exposed. You couldn't care less about the acknowledgement of God unless it was consistent with your religion.
Oh? Because I've listened to your arguments. They are usually specious, lacking any logic or reason, and reeking of demogoguery.

For instance, here, rather than explain why Mystic is wrong, you talk about how your religious understanding is more popular with atheists.

So what? Popular doesn't automatically equal right.

There is a clear law for allowing people (including atheists) to do whatever in their own space. Last I checked, we didn't have Big Brother telling us what we couldn't do while in a hotel.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 11-29-2015 at 07:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality