Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 11:39 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If it prevents even just one person from committing sucide, how can you call it a waste? Yes, it's the 21st century and there are a lot of lost people out there who wouldn't have any motivation to actively go out and seek the Bible. If they stumble on it in a hotel room then there is a chance they will pick up the book and read it.

...snip...
And if even one suicide occurred because the bible was in the room, would you be in favour of removing all of them from every hotel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 11:40 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I already knew that about Jefferson's Bible. However he deeply believed in Christianizing the American Indian and worked toward that end.
As he got older, he attended churches of my religion, not yours. I suspect any attempt to leverage Jefferson will not bode well for Christianity.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:12 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
For all their blustering, atheists will never be able to get rid of God, or His Holy Spirit in believers hearts. In the long run, they are totally powerless, and will accomplish nothing of lasting value.
That's true but we do owe it to humanity to at least try to enlighten theists. Well, OK, we don't really care but we do care when fundamentalists try to impose on society.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:20 PM

1,248 posts, read 823,975 times
Who the hell reads books in a hotel room anyway? If you check into a hotel, you are travelling, and if you are travelling, can't you find better things to do at your destination than hole up in a hotel room and read the Bible?

Old 11-17-2015, 12:42 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And if even one suicide occurred because the bible was in the room, would you be in favour of removing all of them from every hotel?
Oh don't go making his brain explode, Trout!

I am sure he will just make up some excuse to say that the Bible wasn't the cause. We all know that he is far to biased to care about somebody who killed themselves BECAUSE of his holy book. We also all know that he probably doesn't care about those who he CLAIMS has been "saved" by Gideon Bibles. He is just using that to say they should stay. We all know too, that he would not want other holy books in the same hotel room.

Point is, he is a hypocrite.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:45 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Who the hell reads books in a hotel room anyway? If you check into a hotel, you are travelling, and if you are travelling, can't you find better things to do at your destination than hole up in a hotel room and read the Bible?
Exactly. When I rent a hotel, it is usually for the sole purpose of sleeping and showering. Personally, as an agnostic, I could not care less if there is a Gideon Bible in the room. I won't be looking at it anyways. There is a difference in it being in a private hotel room, and it being in a "state run lodging", however, and this seems to be where Jeff and his cohorts can't seem to understand very simple reasoning.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:56 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I already knew that about Jefferson's Bible. However he deeply believed in Christianizing the American Indian and worked toward that end.

And of course where would we be without Chuck Norris' writing on Thomas Jefferson wanting the Bible taught in public schools:
Should the Bible be part of public education?

Jefferson wanted Bible in school?
Because at best he thought it was a good moral law guide. Not because he believed in Christianity. Ignorance or dishonesty Eusebius? Which is it with you? Tell me? I'm curious.
Chuck Norriss seems to skip over Jefferson's desire that Greek, Roman and European law be given to the pupils in school and acts like he was interested only in teaching them the Bible.

This isn't much to do, anyway with the issue of Bibles on state owned property, the separation of church and state and what the founding fathers intended. A leap to Bible in school (and it isn't necessary now as a moral code - in fact I think today it is realized that it is more of an immoral code) is simply a change of subject.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:05 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
When I last was in Germany, I saw a big cross on a dining room wall of the Bavarian hotel I was staying in. Evidently nobody there demanded that it be taken down. In other countries a cross on the wall or a bible in a hotel room is a non-issue. Only in the US both Christians and atheists get their panties in a knot over things like that.

It may be that Americans push their rights in either direction more than people in other countries. At least from my point of view from the outside .

Old 11-17-2015, 01:05 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Oh don't go making his brain explode, Trout!

I am sure he will just make up some excuse to say that the Bible wasn't the cause. We all know that he is far to biased to care about somebody who killed themselves BECAUSE of his holy book. We also all know that he probably doesn't care about those who he CLAIMS has been "saved" by Gideon Bibles. He is just using that to say they should stay. We all know too, that he would not want other holy books in the same hotel room.

Point is, he is a hypocrite.
You mean the belief that the Holy Bible is a work of fiction, there is no God, no life after death, no hope, you are just a pinball bouncing around and hoping to the fake spagehtti gods that the random deck of cards doesn't give you a lousy hand like Charlie Sheen when he found out he had HIV. Your loved ones could suddenly just not exist anymore and become worm food.

Yes, please tell me that believing in that kind of reality would prevent someone from committing suicide.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:08 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Exactly. When I rent a hotel, it is usually for the sole purpose of sleeping and showering. Personally, as an agnostic, I could not care less if there is a Gideon Bible in the room. I won't be looking at it anyways. There is a difference in it being in a private hotel room, and it being in a "state run lodging", however, and this seems to be where Jeff and his cohorts can't seem to understand very simple reasoning.
If you ignore the Bible, where's the difference? You are just as capable of ignoring it in a state run lodge vs a private one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality