Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 12:31 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Your side has done quite a good job of raising a generation who can effectively be completely shut out of any exposure to the gospel of Jesus Christ. They are leary and uncomfortable about the notion of attending a church because your side paints us as raving lunatics who just want to enforce a set of rules on everyone.

So the Gideon Bible could very well be the only way a lost person can stumble upon the World of God.

The testimonies are there. It's not my fault that you refuse to accept them. People have been saved by the Gideon Bible. That is a fact. The gospel of secularism doesn't give people hope. Quite the opposite.
Correct me if I am wrong here Jeff, but we have not shut out exposure to Jesus, as it is the PARENTS job to teach their kids about it if they so choose. It is not societies responsibility. You seem to think it is societies responsibility to teach kids about God. I have news for ya, IT ISN'T.

They are leary and uncomfortable because you guys present yourselves as raving lunatics who want to enforce their rules on everyone. They are also leary and uncomfortable because you present yourselves as hateful bigots. Don't blame my side for your sides inability to get people to the pews. That is all on you, as well as the internet and education. Those help a lot too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 12:31 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

Putting a copy of The God Delusion in a government owned/ran would also be counter to what the posters are saying is a violation of your constitution. If one thinks it violated the constitition why would they want to do it as well?

Putting a book like Dawkin's The Greatest Show on Earth would not be wrong as it is a book about science and not religion and people of many religions as well as athesists accept evolution. Putting the God Delusion would be inappropiate even in privately owned hotels and motels, inapproipiate but not illegal.

As far as preventing suicides would not a suicide prevention brochure with local help line and contacts be more useful? How far would a person have to read in the Bible to feel good about themselves and decide not to commite suicide? I would guess the Princess Bride would be a more cheery uplifting book for someone in that frame of mind.

I also fail to see how not allowing religious texts in a government ran hotel would be a slippery slope to banning religion outside of churches and homes. There appears to be many religious programs on TV and radio, billboards that have more chance of staying not being vandalized than athesists billboards, loads of commercial products at Christmas and Easter plus people coming to your own home to save you from whatever they think you need saving from. Does not appear that religion is being banned other than in government institutions.
I'm not worried about a "slippery slope" …

But indeed, one of the "New Atheist" zealot missionaries (above) did indeed claim that people of fair should just stay home or in church ...

Old 12-03-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Putting a copy of The God Delusion in a government owned/ran would also be counter to what the posters are saying is a violation of your constitution. If one thinks it violated the constitition why would they want to do it as well?

Putting a book like Dawkin's The Greatest Show on Earth would not be wrong as it is a book about science and not religion and people of many religions as well as athesists accept evolution. Putting the God Delusion would be inappropiate even in privately owned hotels and motels, inapproipiate but not illegal.

As far as preventing suicides would not a suicide prevention brochure with local help line and contacts be more useful? How far would a person have to read in the Bible to feel good about themselves and decide not to commite suicide? I would guess the Princess Bride would be a more cheery uplifting book for someone in that frame of mind.

I also fail to see how not allowing religious texts in a government ran hotel would be a slippery slope to banning religion outside of churches and homes. There appears to be many religious programs on TV and radio, billboards that have more chance of staying not being vandalized than athesists billboards, loads of commercial products at Christmas and Easter plus people coming to your own home to save you from whatever they think you need saving from. Does not appear that religion is being banned other than in government institutuions.
The bolded is so very true. Why not put suicide prevention pamphlets in each room. I mean, Jeff seems to think there are tons of suicidal people checking into hotels trying to find a reason not to go through with it, so wouldn't something like that be quite useful? Also, it would not violate anything. I don't think anyone would object to something like that being in the hotel.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post

Try replying to what posts actually say, instead of just saying something unrelated to the quoted post. I was not talking about that in the post you quoted. Go back and re-read what was written, and the post I replied to if you want to comment.
I am in my posts trying to provide a suggestion of balanced accommodation that would satisfy the perceived needs of all parties rather than just shutting one party OUT of the arrangement …

But I recognize that the "New Atheist" general total hostility to religion will never be satisfied until everyone is devoted to their views ...

Old 12-03-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
I am in my posts trying to provide a suggestion of balanced accommodation that would satisfy the perceived needs of all parties rather than just shutting one party OUT of the arrangement …

But I recognize that the "New Atheist" general total hostility to religion will never be satisfied until everyone is devoted to their views ...
You are obviously too brainwashed to understand what people tell you they believe. By all means, keep believing we are something that we are not, as it only proves what we already know.

We do not WANT everyone to have OUR views. We want government buildings and tax payer money to stay away from YOUR religion. We are not trying to stop anything religion related outside of government places and tax payer funded places. The government is not in the religion business. The only time you will see it mentioned outside of those places is in cases where someone is breaking the law by discriminating. That is a whole different thing though.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:57 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
You are obviously too brainwashed to understand what people tell you they believe. By all means, keep believing we are something that we are not, as it only proves what we already know.

We do not WANT everyone to have OUR views. We want government buildings and tax payer money to stay away from YOUR religion. We are not trying to stop anything religion related outside of government places and tax payer funded places. The government is not in the religion business. The only time you will see it mentioned outside of those places is in cases where someone is breaking the law by discriminating. That is a whole different thing though.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to southernbored again."

Old 12-03-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to southernbored again."
Thank ya!

I just don't see what is so hard for them to understand. They have people telling them "This is what I believe", or "This is what we believe", yet they keep on with their tired old "You want us to stay in our homes and hide our religion". This is after being told by multiple people that this is not true.

This is not rocket science here people!

Old 12-03-2015, 01:11 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Thank ya!

I just don't see what is so hard for them to understand. They have people telling them "This is what I believe", or "This is what we believe", yet they keep on with their tired old "You want us to stay in our homes and hide our religion". This is after being told by multiple people that this is not true.

This is not rocket science here people!
When my son was a toddler, he would attribute ulterior motives to why I would not let him have junk food before dinner, never accepting my explanation that I wanted him to have healthy food before junk. Mostly he did not like my answer, did not really care about my reason, and decided that he might be able to guilt me into it if he pretended to believe that the real reason was that I was just a big fat meanie. This thread feels a little like that experience.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post

When my son was a toddler, he would attribute ulterior motives to why I would not let him have junk food before dinner, never accepting my explanation that I wanted him to have healthy food before junk. Mostly he did not like my answer, did not really care about my reason, and decided that he might be able to guilt me into it if he pretended to believe that the real reason was that I was just a big fat meanie. This thread feels a little like that experience.
I agree ...

Old 12-03-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post

Yes - we get this regular ploy to get religious privilege maintained. A possible suicide being saved through reading a Gideon Bible does not make up for the real and serious reasons to push religion back where it belongs - in the church and the home. And the other one 'Who is it harming?' is in the same package as not worth making a fuss about.

This is one of the stated goals (above) of the "New A-Theists" ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality