Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2015, 06:07 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,483,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Still your praying to mortals. Mortals who are filled with sin.
Then I trust you don't ever ask a friend to pray for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 06:14 PM

17,720 posts, read 13,430,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Then I trust you don't ever ask a friend to pray for you?

I pray alright but it's to the Gods I believe in, but your praying to those who the bible claims are sinful.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I pray alright but it's to the Gods I believe in, but your praying to those who the bible claims are sinful.
Nice dodge of my question. Look, I provided a very concise and truthful explanation of what it means when Catholics "pray" to the saints. That you wish to distort that truth and make it into something its not says more about you than it does Catholics.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Nice dodge of my question. Look, I provided a very concise and truthful explanation of what it means when Catholics "pray" to the saints. That you wish to distort that truth and make it into something its not says more about you than it does Catholics.
No, the bible states that man is sinful. Not to mention the part about the ONLY way to God is though his son. Let's be honest here. The saints were created to help Pagans feel more at ease about becoming Christians

Old 11-25-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
No, the bible states that man is sinful. Not to mention the part about the ONLY way to God is though his son.
This does not contradict Catholic theology. You make no sense.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
This does not contradict Catholic theology. You make no sense.
It's not biblical. How's that? Unless of course Catholics are making it up as they go along.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
It's not biblical. How's that? Unless of course Catholics are making it up as they go along.
I've explained it to you in simple terms. That you refuse to believe it and lie about it only shows that you'll believe anything that serves your anti-Catholic, bigoted agenda. The only one making something up is you.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
I've explained it to you in simple terms. That you refuse to believe it and lie about it only shows that you'll believe anything that serves your anti-Catholic, bigoted agenda. The only one making something up is you.

Anti-Catholic agenda? If it's not in the bible then it's a no, no.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:15 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,342,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick for Christ View Post
What do you find to be a "strange": or "unusual" practice of the Catholic Church?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Transubstantiation is weird.
Well aside from the fact that they believe there is a god when there is no arguments, evidence, data or reasoning on offer anywhere to think there is a god.... I suppose their practice of facilitating and covering up child abuse, protecting the abuser, and silencing and intimidating the abused is pretty strange given the forms of morality they purport to espouse.

That said however I think the strangest thing about them, at least in terms of my experience in Ireland, is their lack of motivation to teach Catholics what Catholic beliefs actually are.

I went through the Catholic Irish Education System which is what is known as an "integrated education system" which does not just have a religion module.... but religion is designed to permeate every single subject it can in every way it can. Even something as simple as spelling class.

Yet in 15 years of this education system, run and designed by Catholics with a catholic agenda, I was not once educated in any way about what Catholic beliefs are, and what the doctrines say, or what the Church claims.

Freak mentions Transubstantiation for example. Possible one of the most, if not the most, important ceremony in the Catholic Mass and faith. Was I told ONE thing about it in school ever? Not on your life. We were merely told the first day we would be receiving it, and how we were to act, behave, and prostrate ourselves during the ceremony.

So knowledge of what the ceremony meant and entails was self found. I am not even Catholic therefore and I understand what it IS better than any professing Catholic I have met. And in fact over time I came to realize that beliefs around this ceremony fell into three main groups. Those that believe that the ceremony is 100% entirely symbolic only. Those that believe the crackers used in the ceremony undergo a spiritual but non physical change. And those that believe that some literal actual change occurs.

To address the third group I, over a period of time, obtained quite a number of the crackers in question. I showed through quite a number of varied experiments that no actual transformation took place. But my objective was not really to prove them wrong or, as many people want to believe, to horrifically offend them. Though the number of death threats I received (and sometimes still do) at the time would surprise you.

No my objective was to highlight that the church appears to have little or no interest (at least in Ireland, I can not speak for other places) in actually educating their own "flock" as to what it is they are doing, claiming, or espousing. Either in the school curriculum, over which they have had some power, or even in their own churches, many sermons and masses of which I have myself attended. Not even a simple leaflet inside the door laying out the basics of things like Transubstantiation.

I slowly began to realize why that is however. The Church is a business. It wants revenue streams. And when you realize that you need to stop modeling it as a religion, and more as a business the reason is clear. If you take TOO firm a stand on one of the groups above, you risk alienating the other groups. And this is not a good idea. Especially not when, as is happening in Ireland, the general Business Model is already failing and revenue streams are drifting and dying.

But yeah, in Ireland at least I can certainly say that the move to keep the flock ignorant of their own religion is as strange and unusual as it gets. It certainly contrasts with other versions of Christianity and Islam I have closely observed where very VERY close study, education and dissemination of the texts and doctrines is practiced.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:31 AM

88,060 posts, read 83,912,900 times
Quote:
Anti-Catholic agenda? If it's not in the bible then it's a no, no.
But that's not Catholicism to begin with. It has always been a Bible+Tradition religion. Your argument is from the POV of fundamentalist Christians, who do believe the bible is the Infallible be-all and end-all of guidance for Christians. Not even many Protestant churches buy into that idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality