Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 11:38 PM

888 posts, read 454,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
This holiday season, which should we be doing more of?

Inviting people into our country who may or may not wish us harm? Who we don't know? Who we may never meet?

Or helping out in our local community?

Which people do you think, are more likely to have a personal experience with us? To treat us well? To actually thank us?

Ideally, we should be welcoming all people into our homes and into our hearts. However, all it takes is one person you invite taking your furniture to sour you on the idea of inviting random strangers. As much as possible, rather than expecting people to do what is essentially an unreasonable request (coupled with some kind of guilt trip), let's start with a reasonable one.

If someone you know in economic or other hardship, give them a welcome this Thanksgiving. You know them, so you likely know they are in trouble, and you know you can trust them. Just as you don't take creepy apples from strangers on halloween, stick to people you trust.
But just the same, be the best neighbor you can to struggling people. Muslims, Christians, whatever. Treat the people in your town well, regardless of who or what they are. Charity begins at home, not overseas to faceless people. It's easy to congratulate yourself on donating to some $.05 a day charity. But when a person is asking for a job and you turn them away, when someone is going to be evicted and you do nothing, it's these things that matter.
I hesitate to respond to this post because it is crossing over into the political, so I will keep it short.

One thing I do believe in is the idea behind the saying: Think globally, act locally. Or is it Act locally, think globally? I don't remember...

Because the Syrian Refugee crisis is related to international events, of which the US has played a role, I think it appropriate to reach out to these refugees and offer assistance.

There is something to the saying "Charity begins at home." The irksome part of charity is that you are giving. When one gives a gift, there is no guarantee of what will ultimately become of the it. People who continue to give to the less fortunate they don't personally need to accept that part of what they give may not get put to good use. We also can't protect ourselves against everyone, we can only do our best. If we are to give, we have to accept some risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Eric Kempson, his wife Philippa and their daughter Elleni and handful of volunteers, in the absence of aid agencies or medical care, or any outside help whatsoever, spend every day helping thousands of vulnerable refugees and migrants who have landed near their home.

Here's their story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UWa9u-W6eU

Lesbos crisis: British family helping refugees from the sea - Channel 4 News
I watched this, thanks for the link. It made me think of the idea (not mine) that the people of Lesbos should be given the Nobel Peace Prize.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:31 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,162,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
I watched this, thanks for the link. It made me think of the idea (not mine) that the people of Lesbos should be given the Nobel Peace Prize.
I thought the same TransplantedPeach. I don't know if families are awarded Nobel Peace Prizes, but if they aren't they should be. I hope this family get some recognition when (if) this is all over. So selfless and heartwarming and so heartbreaking all at the same time.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:37 AM

Default Thanksgiving for refugees.

Somewhere between 9 and 12 million Syrians have fled their homes, half of them are children.
Syria crisis fast facts and overview of the refugee situation | World Vision

A few goodwill stories: These restaurants and organisations providing a meal to refugees this year:

Louisville Restaurant To Welcome Refugees For Thanksgiving Meal

Refugees welcomed to Denver Thanksgiving dinner - The Denver Post

Thanksgiving is special to refugee families

I came across this great website too:

Thanksgiving for Syria

It allows users to calculate the cost of their Thanksgiving meal, and then pick a charity to donate either half or the full cost, depending on their their preference to nonprofits working in Syria and neighboring counties.

You can read about it here:
Here's one easy way to share your Thanksgiving meal with Syrian refugees | Public Radio International

Quote:
Syria crisis:
  • 12 million Syrians have fled their homes because of conflict; half are children.
  • 4 million Syrians are refugees; most are in Turkey, Lebanon, and Jordan.
  • Children affected by the Syrian conflict are at risk of becoming ill, malnourished, abused, or exploited. Millions have been forced to quit school.
  • More than 700,000 Syrian refugees and other migrants risked their lives this year to travel to Europe.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:24 AM

Default Everyday HEROES nominated for Nobel Prize.

GREAT NEWS>

Some of you may remember this heartwrenching and heartwarming story I posted a while back.

Quote:
Eric Kempson, his wife Philippa and their daughter Elleni and handful of volunteers, in the absence of aid agencies or medical care, or any outside help whatsoever, spend every day helping thousands of vulnerable refugees and migrants who have landed near their home.

Here's their story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UWa9u-W6eU

Lesbos crisis: British family helping refugees from the sea - Channel 4 News
TransplantedPeach and I commented that they deserved recognition for what they are doing.

The good news is, they and other Greek Islanders have been nominated for Nobel Prizes for their selfless efforts. This news has made my day.

(I just also want to take a minute to mention here that I continue to follow the stories on facebook of girlfriends of mine who are making regular trips to the Calais Jungle every couple of weeks to help out with the refugee crisis there. They are regular moms with little kids like myself.
There have been many changes to the Calais Jungle in recent weeks (ie the camp now resembles a concentration camp) - refugees are being kept under control by use of teargas by the local authorities. Undeterred my two girlfriends are taking a supply swimming googles with them next time. )

Last edited by Cruithne; 02-01-2016 at 11:47 AM..

Old 02-01-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
GREAT NEWS>

Some of you may remember this heartwrenching and heartwarming story I posted a while back.

TransplantedPeach and I commented that they deserved recognition for what they are doing.

The good news is, they and other Greek Islanders have been nominated for Nobel Prizes for their selfless efforts. This news has made my day.

(I just also want to take a minute to mention here that I continue to follow the stories on facebook of girlfriends of mine who are making regular trips to the Calais Jungle every couple of weeks to help out with the refugee crisis there. They are regular moms with little kids like myself.
There have been many changes to the Calais Jungle in recent weeks (ie the camp now resembles a concentration camp) - refugees are being kept under control by use of teargas by the local authorities. Undeterred my two girlfriends are taking a supply swimming googles with them next time. )
Thanks for posting, Cruithne! I didn't hear they'd been nominated until I read your post, although I had heard about a petition created to push for a nomination. While usually given to individuals, the prize is sometimes given to groups.

Your friends are amazing to continue their work. How disturbing that tear gas is being used for control in the camp.

(Remember the viral photo of body of the little boy washed up, face down, on the shore? An artist used him in a Nativity scene in the manger. If I remember correctly, I think it was in Spain and I saw it in the Huffington Post

NOTE: I'm not trying to generate a conversation about the appropriateness of taking artistic license with a Nativity scene, as that should be in a different thread if anyone wants to discuss it. I'm mentioning it here as an FYI to the topic of refugees during the holiday season, especially since one theme, of many, in the Christ story is of refugees.)

Old 02-03-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post

Your friends are amazing to continue their work. How disturbing that tear gas is being used for control in the camp.

I'll post some stories at some point. To be honest with you I just didn't have the heart to post what was going on over there in December and January.. These poor refugees in Calais are living through dreadful times. It's very depressing what is going on in Europe right now.

Last edited by Cruithne; 02-03-2016 at 09:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality