Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 06:02 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Honestly? Would it matter? I'd explain it, you'd ignore the basic arguments of it and come back with some silly arguments, as you've done before. It would go on for about 70 pages and then someone would whine about me hijacking the thread when I responded to YOUR post, and then you'd declare victory when I just grew tired of the hard-headed responses and quit posting.

This is it, in a nutshell. Let me know if you have an actual, real, cogent response to it. I really don't want to get into that other stuff.

https://carm.org/the-cosmological-argument
THAT was your argument?

Really, Vizio, how often do you have to be told that the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics ONLY applies in a closed system.

And there must be a (Capitalized) Cause? Why Capitalized? Is that suppose do detonate your god? Goddunnit is not a fallback position.

#fail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 06:13 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Too bad there is no "Fairy Tale" forum for creationism.
Oh but there is!

Old 11-20-2015, 06:20 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
THAT was your argument?

Really, Vizio, how often do you have to be told that the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics ONLY applies in a closed system.

And there must be a (Capitalized) Cause? Why Capitalized? Is that suppose do detonate your god? Goddunnit is not a fallback position.

#fail
I'm missing something here. Everything needs a cause to begin. The big bang needs a cause. God needs a cause. God created the universe and something else created God. So what am I missing?

Old 11-20-2015, 07:06 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I'm missing something here. Everything needs a cause to begin. The big bang needs a cause. God needs a cause. God created the universe and something else created God. So what am I missing?
No, the god of the gaps doesn't cut it. Do scientists know what caused the Big Bang? Nope. Will they some day? Maybe. But not knowing it now doesn't mean there is a goddunnit.

Who knows, maybe there is a never ending cycle of multi-universes expanding and collapsing, ones who were always here. It's a viable hypothesis, but there is little science behind it, although the concept of multi-universes has some legitimate scientists thinking about it.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I have a small Twix candy bar for Halloween and a large Twix candy bar. This proves evolution.

Being an amateur astronomer, I have known about the so-called "birthplace of stars" for many years in the Orion Nebula. This does not prove stars are evolving. Rather it proves stars are coalescing from matter around them. I'm sure our sun and planets did the same thing. But it is God Who created the heavens and the earth. He made it habitable. He is still creating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Obviously.
The point is that evolution works the same way, it is natural, and doesn't just pop into existence through supernatural and omni-mysterious magic.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:59 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
It is the idea that you cannot have infinite regression. Somewhere, it has to stop and something with the ability to decide to start everything off has to be postulated. That they call God.

I know exactly where they are coming from and why it is such a compelling argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The point is that evolution works the same way, it is natural, and doesn't just pop into existence through supernatural and omni-mysterious magic.
Correct. Eusebius argues that it is impossible for life to start unless Someone started it. If we accepted that on principle, would Eusebius accept evolution of species from then on, just as stars evolved from matter, whatever or whoever started that off?

No. He rejects the evolution of species, too.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:27 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Fortunatly for evolution it has been used to predict and what it predicted has been found. I forget the if upon finding a very long necked flower there was the prediction of finding a long billed nectar consumer which was found. It is the same predictability that is used in physical geography or geology. You predict what you will find not what will be in the future. Otherwise most of glacialogy would not be a science based on your defintions because none of us will be around for the next ice age.

I think it is funny how so many people want to twist the defintions of science in order to exclude evolution when by doing so they are excluding so many other disciplines of science. Chemistry and other lab experiments is not all there is to science.
Here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthopan_morgani

Old 11-20-2015, 09:08 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
It's turtles all the way back.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turt...l_the_way_down

Old 11-21-2015, 08:23 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Too bad there is no "Fairy Tale" forum for creationism.
That's because creationism belongs in the science section and evolution in a newly formed Fairy Tale board.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:27 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Correct. Eusebius argues that it is impossible for life to start unless Someone started it. If we accepted that on principle, would Eusebius accept evolution of species from then on, just as stars evolved from matter, whatever or whoever started that off?

No. He rejects the evolution of species, too.
It is one thing for stars to coelesce from matter in it's surroundings and quite another for humans to have evolved from a single cell. The former is scientific fact; the latter is a fable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality