Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 07:24 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
This time in Britain. 15 and 16 year olds in Britain can take an optional religion class, where numerous religions are highlighted on a comparative basis. The Humanist Association in Britain objected to that as the curriculum did not include the teaching that there's an option of not any religion being believed in.

The courts agreed.

CatholicHerald.co.uk » High Court rules in favour of humanists on Religious Studies

Cool all the victories that non believers are now winning around the world isn't it?
I feel sorry for the generation of whiners and victims we are raising. Don't believe? Don't take the class. It's not complicated. But someone has to whine about something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 07:26 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I feel sorry for the generation of whiners and victims we are raising. Don't believe? Don't take the class. It's not complicated. But someone has to whine about something.
Kids these days...

Old 11-27-2015, 07:27 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Kids these days...
When I was a youngun'......

Old 11-27-2015, 08:07 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
The traditions of the Native Americans and other indigenous people was covered in my religions class....and.....Can't have atheism in a religions class, it's not a religion. Besides, that would have no material which to lecture upon other than giving a definition. That's as far as it went in my religions class.

I actually find this ruling a little silly. It's a comparative religions class, it coveres world religions. Are we humans of this generation lacking so much sense that such a class needs to explain that one does have the option to follow, or not, any religion or belief?

One learns quadratic equations in math class- that does not mean one spends the rest of their life solving such equations.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:51 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
You may not realize that religious studies are part of the standard public school curriculum in the UK. And IIRC it is pretty well integrated into all subjects. I perceive this case as simply a desire to provide balance and inclusiveness for a major point of view that has gotten short shrift to this point. I don't think you can opt out of any of it. Cruithne or Arq can probably speak to that issue far better than I.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:38 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Yes, I heard something like that before, said to people who are trying to put the skewed system right: "If you don't like it - leave."

When the scales tip - as they must eventually - Fundamentalist Christians won't leave - they will stay and whine - just as they do about gay marriage; which in makes as little difference to their religious beliefs as a secular state, society and schools does.

It is painfully clear that what they are whining about is the decreasing license to force everyone else to "Respect" their beliefs.

Dinosaurs..

Old 11-27-2015, 10:31 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
ALL should be compared...and fully explained.
Families can find their own time to do that largely useless and most likely unending task. But I would support that major religious labels should be studied such as by levels of world population adhering to such label or its direct translation. It would be very hard to "fully explain" even any one religion and all it's denominations in less than ~18 life-times though.

Quote:
The Religion of Atheism is Atheism...obviously.
Nobody "leads" it...though they have had some prominent "frontmen".
They have a few Deities they have either invented or adopted...among them The Flying Spaghetti Monster and Invisible Pink Unicorns, also some association with Orbital Teapots ...though their main Deity can be summed up as "NOGODAH".
I would be glad to donate my time as a guest lecturer for the class on the days Secular Humanism and/or Atheism are reviewed.
By that same logic, the "religion" of not collecting stamps is "not collecting stamps"... How many religions do you have GldnRule?

You are of course joking, since the Holy FSM and it's nemesis the venerable IPU are, among other things, mostly showing the absurdity of Plutonic Theism (God hides but wants to be known) and pure Creationism (anything could be inserted into their "necessarily academic" conclusion of specially-pled necessity). The Orbital Teapot idea is largly used to show the absurdity/hypocrisy/(fallacious special exemption to theism) of many pure Agnostics.

There is no Religion of Atheism then, just like there is no Religion of non-stamp collecting and no religion of Sunday-night football, thank you (unless you are to propose otherwise about the later two).

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 11-27-2015 at 10:40 PM..

Old 11-27-2015, 10:34 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,635 times
Quote:
Me too.

They even make it OPTIONAL, and still there is something to complain about.

Quote:
This time in Britain. 15 and 16 year olds in Britain can take an optional religion class, where numerous religions are highlighted on a comparative basis. The Humanist Association in Britain objected to that as the curriculum did not include the teaching that there's an option of not any religion being believed in.
Either atheism is a religion, and we include it in religion classes. Or it isn't a religion and it's science fact.

You can't have it both ways.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:38 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I was wondering what you were up to.

I do think the work "atheist" should be dropped. I like "enlightened".
What?

Old 11-27-2015, 10:42 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

The courts agreed.

CatholicHerald.co.uk » High Court rules in favour of humanists on Religious Studies

Cool all the victories that non believers are now winning around the world isn't it?
No …

The "non-believers" dictating the content of teaching about religion is like the Fundamentalist Creationists dictating the content of teaching about evolution …
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality