Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 09:58 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I'll make sure I let some of my Inuit friends know that their fathers could not have survived in the Arctic without technology. Or their grandfather before that. Or their great great grandfather. For generations going back thousands of years.

Kayaks, sewing needles, dogs and sled, clothes, fire, spears, knifes: all examples of the technology that was used by arctic people. Even using stones is a form of technology. Modern or high technology may not have been necessary but at least stone age technology was needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 11:18 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

The way it works is to favor information (genes in this case) that favors reproductive survival (not strength, enjoyment, security, hegemony, or other human concerns other than perhaps in a very general and incidental way). No claim has ever been made by evolutionists that all naturally selected features are stronger / superior, only that they result in the reproduction of more entities with the selected traits. These traits are favorable or neutral only in that limited way. Some naturally selected traits are actually problematic in certain scenarios. For example the selected trait of sickle cell anemia protects against malaria even while causing other problems; however, in malarial climates, people with that trait live long enough to reproduce which is all natural selection "cares" about.
Ok, so now natural selection has nothing to do retaining superior traits. That's the problem with broad based statements like yours. You can morph it to cover up the gaping holes here. Nothing you said explains specifically to me why humans evolved with features that are less suitable for survival.

Quote:

We are in agreement here. Where we disagree is how we respond to what is not fully understood at present. I await the day when we know more; you fill gaps in knowledge with unsubstantiated assertions.
No, you are making a claim without having all the required knowledge. Who knows, from a designer perspective, placing the testicles in another location may cause more issues. It's like the argument that God really screwed up by playing the eating tube right next to the breathing tube. Of course, the skeptics are pretty quiet when you ask them specifically where they would place the tube at instead.

Quote:

If we are weaker and more susceptible to disease and are pathetic AND we are designed, then it is on the designer. If we are weaker and more susceptible to disease and pathetic and are NOT designed then it is just the way things are.
That's like saying a car has a bad design because it got a flat tire. Any problems that arise even if they are a result of our own bad behavior is a design flaw, huh?

We live in a fallen world where sin introduced death and disease. God designed the body to give us a fighting chance but not to be physically immortal which is apparently the standard that you are demanding here. That's not design flaw. That's a design with a purpose.

Last edited by jeffbase40; 12-01-2015 at 11:49 AM..

Old 12-01-2015, 11:34 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant
If we are weaker and more susceptible to disease and are pathetic AND we are designed, then it is on the designer. If we are weaker and more susceptible to disease and pathetic and are NOT designed then it is just the way things are.
It as only after Adam sinned and God brought about the curse He said would come should they eat of the forbidden fruit, that death entered into the human race. Consequent to that event, humanity became susceptible to disease and pathetic. God was only making good on His promise that should Adam break this only commandment then "to die shall you be dying" will be invoked. Adam agreed to it.

God is going to replace your dying body with an immortal, incorruptible one in the future. Right now humanity needs to learn the knowledge of good and evil.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
We live in a fallen world where sin introduced death and disease. God designed the body to give us a fighting chance but not to be physically immortal which is apparently the standard that you are demanding here. That's not design flaw. That's a design with a purpose.
Bingo!

Old 12-01-2015, 11:37 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Bingo!
Eusie agreeing with Jeff.

Proof positive that all the rest of us are wrong.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Eusie agreeing with Jeff.

Proof positive that all the rest of us are wrong.
You are finally catching on. I'm like Dos Equis in that even the mosquitos refuse to bite me out of respect.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
You are finally catching on. I'm like Dos Equis in that even the mosquitos refuse to bite me out of respect.
I don't think it's respect....

Old 12-01-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't think it's respect....
Believe me, I know for a fact it is out of respect. I am so interesting that people hang on to my every word, even the prepositions.

jeffbase40 made some brilliant observations which need to come to the forefront of this discussion.

Are you up to answering to his observations or are you just into drive by cheap shots that even little children can do?

Old 12-01-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Believe me, I know for a fact it is out of respect. I am so interesting that people hang on to my every word, even the prepositions.

jeffbase40 made some brilliant observations which need to come to the forefront of this discussion.

Are you up to answering to his observations or are you just into drive by cheap shots that even little children can do?
Gosh, Eusie. My keyboard just gets all tongue-tied when confronted with your, um...brilliant ripostes.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:27 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Testicles were intelligently designed by Ahura Mazda (the Zoroastrian God) to be ritualistically shaved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality