Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 01:02 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The Christian God can do whatever he wants because he's a Powerful Badass that could miraculously kill any of us in an instant and then torture us for eternity.

Better not p**s him off.

That's fundamentalist Christian morality in essence: might makes right.

Even if he tells us to kill lots of people, we'd better do it, or else we'll suffer the consequences.

Of course, the all-powerful Christian God rarely gives commands to humans directly. He usually works through "middle men" for some strange reason. It couldn't possibly be that said middle men are power-hungry bullies with an insatiable lust for power and authority over others. No, that would just be a silly idea.
Actually, for 2000 years God has been at peace with mankind and entreats through His ambassadors to be at peace with Him (see 2 Corinthians 5:19-21).

Now then, there may be some Christians who do believe God is ready to strike you down at any minute but that is not in line with the current administration that has been ongoing for 2000 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 01:14 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm not aware of any Christian that holds to that position.

My mom believes that because there more Christians then any other one religion that it Christianity the ONE right religion.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:40 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
The Christian God can do whatever he wants because he's a Powerful Badass that could miraculously kill any of us in an instant and then torture us for eternity.

Better not p**s him off.

Even if he tells us to kill lots of people, we'd better do it, or else we'll suffer the consequences.

Of course, the all-powerful Christian God rarely gives commands to humans directly. He usually works through "middle men" for some strange reason. It couldn't possibly be that said middle men are power-hungry bullies with an insatiable lust for power and authority over others. No, that would just be a silly idea.
Try reading the New Testament for a change. Your perspective on God is so far from the truth, and kinda silly that you are arguing about His nature when you claim that He is just a work of fiction.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:

Better not p**s him off.

Well....that's depressing. You need to hang with some hippie Christians and see another side of Christianity.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:37 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Try reading the New Testament for a change. Your perspective on God is so far from the truth, and kinda silly that you are arguing about His nature when you claim that He is just a work of fiction.
You forget, I was raised in a fundamentalist Lutheran church, so I am all too familiar with the NT. There's plenty of fire and brimstone from the mouth of Jesus himself.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well....that's depressing. You need to hang with some hippie Christians and see another side of Christianity.
I don't know too many hippie Christians.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I don't know too many hippie Christians.
So go find some.

I suggest the religion section of a used book store. You're too young to go through life with beliefs about God that were instilled in you by the fundamentalists.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
So go find some.

I suggest the religion section of a used book store. You're too young to go through life with beliefs about God that were instilled in you by the fundamentalists.
Maybe there are some hippie Christians in Ithaca?

I prefer to read peer-reviewed scientific literature about the Christian God. So far, I have not found much.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:

I prefer to read peer-reviewed scientific literature about the Christian God.
And yet you make post after post about the avenging God of the Old Testament. For an atheist.....you have an odd obsession with the God you claim doesn't exist.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
And yet you make post after post about the avenging God of the Old Testament. For an atheist.....you have an odd obsession with the God you claim doesn't exist.
The avenging Bible-God is a monstrous idea that should be attacked, don't you think? The idea has been used to bully people for two millennia, and the practice continues to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality