Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:17 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times

Advertisements

Hi all, so I wasn't sure where to post this. I have had constant dreams with elephants in them, and after "momma" and "dadada" Elephant was my first word(yeah no one believes me on this but my mom, dad, sister, and next door neighbor were all there and have all told me). I have had this odd draw toward elephants and have always been fascinated by them for some unexplained reason. Any who this is just out of shear curiosity, do elephants mean anything spiritually to a culture that you are a part of or come from?

Last edited by i'm not a cookie; 12-02-2015 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 11:40 AM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times
from article online / link below

In China, India and Africa, the elephant is a symbol for power, dignity, intelligence and peace.The elephant is generally considered a symbol of good luck and the animal is a symbol of good fortune. Elephants in Asia are symbolizing a kind of divinity and benevolence and that is why in the recent Asia there are still religious ceremonies where offering is made to the elephants, they wash them and anoint them with special oils and pigments so that the community be blessed with good will. They also symbolize wisdom, loyalty, strength, fidelity and longevity.

As a symbol of wisdom, the elephant is said to attain old age and with all its wisdom. The animal is highly revered for its strength and power. With different species, the white elephant having been chosen by Buddha was because he wanted to use it for his many incarnations. The white elephant is a rare animal and their appearance today will still be considered a phenomenon of the gods. It is the most positive animal symbol known with no negative consequence. There are several lessons we can learn from the elephant and these too are used as its symbol: strength, wisdom, solitude, strong sense of loyalty to the family and intelligence.

Elephant Symbol

Old 12-02-2015, 11:41 AM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,559 times
The Hindu god, "Ganesha" ...

Old 12-02-2015, 12:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
The elephant may be your totem, or one of them.

Although this site talks mostly about totems in the Native American tradition, similar beliefs are held by many people worldwide. The Great Blue Heron is my primary totem.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:31 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Although this site talks mostly about totems in the Native American tradition, similar beliefs are held by many people worldwide. The Great Blue Heron is my primary totem.

They weren't big in the Haida tradition, perhaps harder to carve than ravens or bears

Old 12-02-2015, 02:15 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

cool link, thanks.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:55 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Hi all, so I wasn't sure where to post this. I have had constant dreams with elephants in them, and after "momma" and "dadada" Elephant was my first word(yeah no one believes me on this but my mom, dad, sister, and next door neighbor were all there and have all told me). I have had this odd draw toward elephants and have always been fascinated by them for some unexplained reason. Any who this is just out of shear curiosity, do elephants mean anything spiritually to a culture that you are a part of or come from?
just curious...why do you believe that dreams indicate a special religious connection with them?

Old 12-02-2015, 03:57 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Airavata is the three headed or five headed or even thirty three headed elephant from Hindu traditions , said to guard the compass for God of Hindu

Old 12-02-2015, 04:30 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I have had this odd draw toward elephants and have always been fascinated by them for some unexplained reason.
In your previous existences, you likely were real close with elephants for various purposes. That's how you are drawn to them now. No need to mix religion into it.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:45 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,593,559 times
Google:

Donald Lee Petry, "I Have Found An Elephant In the Bible" ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality