Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2015, 10:46 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I never heard the Bible called this name. Language plays a big part in our lives and it is one area that I am deficient in. Using these unknown words stalls my comprehension. Is this the goal of the faithful? The goal of the Bible?
I did not say the Bible is the evangel.

An evangelist evangelizes the evangel. The evangel is the good news that Christ died for our sins, was entombed and roused from the dead. The evangel to the nations also comprises the wonderful allotment we will have among the celestials in the future. It also comprises the reconciliation of all mankind, the justification of all mankind and the salvation of all mankind.

Last edited by Eusebius; 12-20-2015 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-20-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
God does evil, but his heart isn't in it?

All-righty, then.
Please give the Bible book, chapter and verse.
Thank you.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:56 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Thank you.
I'm quoting your position, not mine. You tell me where I'm wrong or provide YOUR chapter book and verse.

Here is what you said:
Quote:
It is wrong for humans to do evil because their heart is evil and they cannot be assured that good will come of the evil they do.
So you are saying it is RIGHT for god to do evil because his heart is not evil. In other words we do evil because we enjoy it and god does evil despite not enjoying it -- which makes it okay.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:59 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Rest assured....in another eon (maybe 2) all will be forgiven. Then we will no longer need the evil which the good god needed because it's the best way to teach his creation about how good he is...which he couldn't hardwire us with like he did hunger or sexual urges for reasons only he is capable of understanding. But don't worry....they are assuredly good reasons as evidenced by his willingness to permit and commit evil.

I trust this all makes sense to you now.
Yes, thank you for clearing that up for me ;-)

Old 12-20-2015, 12:48 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
In my opinion, only the emotionally damaged and/or intellectually impaired and/or spiritually bereft can plop the OT god on a pedestal and worship it.
Don't forget the "heavily indoctrinated since birth."

Old 12-20-2015, 12:58 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Don't forget the "heavily indoctrinated since birth."
I file that one under "the emotionally damaged."

Old 12-20-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I'm quoting your position, not mine. You tell me where I'm wrong or provide YOUR chapter book and verse.

Here is what you said:

So you are saying it is RIGHT for god to do evil because his heart is not evil. In other words we do evil because we enjoy it and god does evil despite not enjoying it -- which makes it okay.
No, The Bible doesn't say God enjoys the evil. It does say though that God is working all together for good. Do you find something wrong with God doing that?

Old 12-21-2015, 05:53 AM

7,589 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
I did not say the Bible is the evangel.

An evangelist evangelizes the evangel. The evangel is the good news that Christ died for our sins, was entombed and roused from the dead. The evangel to the nations also comprises the wonderful allotment we will have among the celestials in the future. It also comprises the reconciliation of all mankind, the justification of all mankind and the salvation of all mankind.

Sounds wonderful but a little too passive for me. The impression I get of Christianity is that it is either too passive or too pushy.

Last edited by elyn02; 12-21-2015 at 06:04 AM..

Old 12-21-2015, 06:01 AM

7,589 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
It is a $25 Special Word used by theologians. It is a $25 synonym for a better-known $15 Holy Word, "gospel" which simply means in everyday terms "good news" and refers to the good news that is only good in contrast to the bad news, that god has condemned everyone for being as he made them. The good news is that AFTER creating that problem he has magnanimously agreed to undo it ... eventually ... some day.

The goal of the faithful is to keep the faithful, faithful. It does this in part by a carrot (heaven) and stick (hell) method. Eusebius has ditched the stick but now has to try to compensate by amplifying the carrot. Without hellthreat he has only the threat of second class deferred redemption status and so he has to try to sell the carrot as pure wonderfulness despite it being entirely deferred to past everyone's death and completely beyond examination or verification apart from it being written down in a particular holy book, interpreted by a particular minor publishing house within a minority position (universal reconciliation) in a highly fractured belief system (Christianity).

Forgive me for not hanging my hat on this particular house of cards.
That sounds like something my daughter would tell me, "Mommy, I have good news and I have bad news.."

Old 12-21-2015, 09:15 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Thank you.
He's asking you whether or no. You either agree or give chapter and verse for your disagreement.

Thank you.

....Damn...Mordant got there first. at least it shows we both see where you are off -beam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality