Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is religion man made?
Yes, man invented religion 32 94.12%
No, Religion was made by God 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 10:11 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
I personally think it's man made, what is your opinion?
Since it was HUMANITY that has made God in their image, it only reasons HUMANITY also crated RELIGION to place their god=in-the-tiny-box into..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 11:09 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,320,714 times
I think that the simplest test of the idea that religion arose from god, would be some commonly accepted conception of god that would be similar to all of humanity, but that isn't the case is it? Instead we are confronted with a hodgepodge of religions that bare no resemblance to one another.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:52 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
God made Man, so even if you conceive of it that man "made religion",
it is still made from God.
Just as EVIL, SIN and HATE are made from God?

Old 12-04-2015, 03:51 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
God directly made the religion of Judaism, through Moses and the tabernacle of the wilderness , and then the Temple of Solomon , and then wanted to rebuild the temple of Ezekiel, but never did as Jesus came and God abandoned the idea as Jesus had a temple of Holy Spirit........ As the very best religion is that with Jesus Holy Spirit

Old 12-04-2015, 07:45 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
So you think religion was a joint venture?

If so, it is an open question which partner shouldn't have taken on the other ...
Religion is a publicly-traded corporation* with various gods as the dominant shareholders.

Berkshire Hathaway is interested, due to its wide economic moat and strong profitability going back several thousand years.

*listed on Nasdaq with stock ticker symbol RLGN

Old 12-04-2015, 11:21 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,591,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

Religion is a publicly-traded corporation* with various gods as the dominant shareholders.

Berkshire Hathaway is interested, due to its wide economic moat and strong profitability going back several thousand years.

*listed on Nasdaq with stock ticker symbol RLGN
For the Western/Catholic Traditions, list us as:
"Sacraments R Us" ...

Old 12-04-2015, 11:24 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
I think it's pretty obvious that man made religion...come on. I mean it can't be some sort of weird coincidence that any given culture's God just happens to believe that culture is chosen and special in some way and that God just happens to dress, look, etc. exactly as that particular culture looks or else how it likes to imagine things in art and so on.

That doesn't men there's no God, necessarily. (I'm agnostic.) But we're talking about religion here...one or another set of beliefs and a system that is, indeed, pretty obviously made by various men and/orwomen in different cultures at different times, based on their hopes of pacifying God and getting on its good side, and often including coincidences that were believed to be supernatural which then become part of the dogma as to how to manipulate the god in question into giving, making one healthy, taking one to heaven and so on.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:28 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,362 times
How can god make religion when he/she/it doesn't exist?

Old 12-04-2015, 11:30 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,591,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that man made religion...come on. I mean it can't be some sort of weird coincidence that any given culture's God just happens to believe that culture is chosen and special in some way and that God just happens to dress, look, etc. exactly as that particular culture looks or else how it likes to imagine things in art and so on.

That doesn't men there's no God, necessarily. (I'm agnostic.) But we're talking about religion here...one or another set of beliefs and a system that is, indeed, pretty obviously made by various men and/orwomen in different cultures at different times, based on their hopes of pacifying God and getting on its good side, and often including coincidences that were believed to be supernatural which then become part of the dogma as to how to manipulate the god in question into giving, making one healthy, taking one to heaven and so on.
We humans also discovered ways to make fire and textiles, domesticate many plants and animals, create art and music, make machines, develop languages and invent writing, etc., etc., etc, etc. …

So, yes … We also came up with ways to encounter, address and discuss "God" …
Is that a problem, or just a fact … ???

Old 12-04-2015, 11:31 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
How can god make religion when he/she/it doesn't exist?
That's one way to look at it, for those who don't believe in a god.

However, personally, I think that even if there is a god of some description, it definitely didn't invent any religion that we currently have on the planet, or any that I've ever heard of/read about, for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality