Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 05:05 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I clearly delineate the status of the components that comprise my views, facts, deductions, plausible hypotheses, and beliefs, Arq. Try to be honest in your criticisms.Saying it over and over again will NOT make it true, Arq. I have more than effectively dealt with my presumably knowledgeable critics and in some significant detail. i am not surprised that you could not actually follow the rather complex details of the discussions and prefer to assume I was debunked.There is nothing on this forum that could ever rise to the level of provoking rancor between us, old friend. Your armadillo-like skin, like Eusebius's, is virtually impregnable and mine is shielded by the armor of God.
Your ongoing refusal to accept that your very ingenious hypothesis has nothing valid to back it up, and you 'science' has be shown non -science - indeed you have at times argued that it is an analogy of Real science that signposts these faith based 'Truths' of yours -leave you in the position of insisting, Eusebius -like, that you won tour case when you lost. You say that we are unable to follow your arguments. In fact I recall a couple of times I had to explain it to you.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:07 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Hey ARQ and all you other heathen nonbelievers, I have the FINAL definitive proofs that God is real that will just knock your socks off, get your head spinning in circles, and finally settle this argument once and for all . . . for all eternity to come! By the time I am finished with all of you, you will be singing "Holy, Holy, Holy" at your local church! Ready for this? Hold on to your hats. Here it goes:

1. I know there is a God . . . because I feel it in my heart!!!
  2. I know there is a God . . . because it makes me feel good!!!

So there! I know that the magnitude of what I just stated will reverberate throughout the lot of humanity and change humankind as we know it. For my own mother said these very words herself and we all owe a supreme debt to her for taking us all out of the darkness and into the light. Why, they will build universities named in her honor, erect statues and monuments of her likeness throughout the world, name cities and public schools after her, name endowed professorial chairs and scholarship funds after her, have an annual muli-national symposium held in every nation of the world to discuss her scholarly mind and works. I absolutely know all this . . . for I feel it in my heart!!!!!

I mean seriously, my friends, you just have to admit (if you are truly intellectually honest) that the EVIDENCE simply doesn't get any better than this!!! All hats off to UsAll's mother!!
This leaves one important one out---it is mine.

I know there is a God....because I cannot get away from my obligation to serve Him by serving others (and I have tried on more than one occasion). It doesn't make me feel good. It feels like the weight of the cross must have felt for Jesus.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:58 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
yeah, thats fine. We do have to find out why Christians don't control their wack jobs. Well, I guess no team really does, I know from personal experience some atheist don't care as long as one believes believers got it all wrong. Despite evidence to the contrary. They crucified Jesus for trying.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:49 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah, thats fine. We do have to find out why Christians don't control their wack jobs. Well, I guess no team really does, I know from personal experience some atheist don't care as long as one believes believers got it all wrong. Despite evidence to the contrary. They crucified Jesus for trying.
You keep forgetting:

Old 12-28-2015, 11:48 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I can't wait. Thanks for that.. but you forgot the smiley again to show you were kidding. ....there you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExG7Ut6DJ1E
That's a great choice of video (from the 1988 movie "Coming to America") and was well-acted all around by everyone in it. I enjoyed that movie and am familiar with the varied American-based locales that they filmed it in (in the Borough or County of Queens, New York City, NY, USA) . . . so that made it even more enjoyable (nostalgic).

Old 12-29-2015, 09:31 AM

Yes. A film I enjoyed and not only for the send up of the Preacher Brown and his Pavlovian audience. Eddie Murphy was good in it though he has the sort of grin I want to take a sledgehammer to.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
No, lad, it is ME sainted mother that these things are true about! How can ye besmirch her as ye do? How can ye overlook HER strong feelings and steal HER brilliant ideas!

Me favorite idea of hers was the notion that I was smart, handsome and capable. Bet YOUR mother never told you how smart, handsome and capable I was! Or ye'd know that about me! The evidence is unassailable, so 'tis!

With all due respect to my late mother, her statements, taken as a whole, were as far from "brilliant" as the east is from the west.

P.S.-- By the way, saying "as far as the east is from the west" is an expression I'd heard in my churchgoing days, hearing it used in some sermons here-and-there (e.g., something paraphrased here like "God's (or Christ's) love for you is as wide as the east is from the west" or some such similar manner of using that phrase).

Last edited by UsAll; 12-29-2015 at 08:28 PM..

Old 12-29-2015, 07:51 PM

19,998 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
With all due respect to my late mother, her statements, taken as a whole, were as far from "brilliant" as the east is from the west.
Yeah, same here. Loved her to pieces but she was a bit of a space cadet at times. She dealt with unpleasant stuff by ignoring it. And her teaching me that meaning well and doing your best always had good outcomes was, shall we say, not helpful preparation for the Real World.

But she was loving, kind and nurturing and what more can I really ask of a mother, considering what I might have been saddled with.
Quote:
P.S.-- By the way, saying "as far as the east is from the west" is an expression I'd heard in my churchgoing days, hearing it used in some sermons here-and-there (e.g., something paraphrased here like "God's (or Christ's) love for you is as wide as the east is from the west" or some such similar manner of using that phrase).
Yeah that is Psalms 103, "as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us". Perfect example of the limitations of thought 3,000 years ago. The extreme opposite edges of the world were as far apart as could be imagined in those days.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I mean, can you say "PLONK" (as in "plonking faith statement")!!?!??!!!?!!!

This is not even me saying to all the lot of humanity (in contrast to my mother's statements) "There absolutely is NO GOD of any type and there has never ever been!!! Period!!!." It is rather expressing that, to base one's subscription to the so-called "God Hypothesis" on such a viewpoint as she expressed is so very very unsophisticated, simple-minded and, frankly, rather infantile. I mean "Take it upon yourself to put more thinking into it" is what I would say to such thoughts. One may still come out, in the end, concluding that there is such a so-called "God" of whatever characteristics but it should be based on more careful thought and consideration on our parts rather than on what she produced. But it can truly be said about her (with all due respect to her otherwise) that apparently she was not capable of such intellectual depth. An uneducated and unstudied simple person . . . so I guess we can say about her "Well, I suppose it goes with the territory. What else should one expect?

Last edited by UsAll; 12-29-2015 at 09:04 PM..

Old 12-30-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I mean, can you say "PLONK" (as in "plonking faith statement")!!?!??!!!?!!!

..?
No. That's copyright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality