Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 05:49 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,341,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
The weird thing is, when I use this approach,
I'm even more aware of the fact that there's no gods.
I appreciate your honesty.
This sitting in stillness, usually called meditation...is why I do...BUT, I meditate for hours
and hours...and for decades...haha, last night I was in awe because
I closed my eyes, they got teary, my heart swelled, because in less than a minute I realized
I reach a place of such love coming out of 'nowhere' that I never did 30-40 years ago...my mind in
in my 20s was so active ...gosh, the first hour was just thinking!
A person does not need to call what they feel -'coming from God'-but when stilled the thinking
mind takes a back seat...and within us is a fountain or a well of such love and joy and peace...
and an inflowing of deep insights.
I highly recommend it...but at the same time , I don't care if people do.
Take care, KC

Old 01-04-2016, 09:07 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,004,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I excuse your rudeness because you probably haven't followed the argument about an Intelligent Universe and what can be called "God" (intelligent/Forward -planning) or Nature (Unthinking physical processes).
Who are the absolutist that decided/decides what can be called "God"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
But surely you understood the well-known analogy of water fitting a hole to make a puddle, not the hole being the right shape to fit the water? This is the false Creationist idea of an intended or planned result which could not come about by evolutionary means. This Planned result is the main reason why Creationists can't understand evolution.
Not all creationist believe in per-destination. By saying creationist can't understand evolution, are you saying if they understood it, to your satisfaction, they would abandon any God or supernatural belief?

My original post to which you responded, simply questioned how anyone could observe nature and continue to boast there's no evidence for a Creator. It's being reported that Marlin Perkins was an atheist, so I guess it's just something I'm at a loss to understand.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:47 AM

19,931 posts, read 13,423,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
My original post to which you responded, simply questioned how anyone could observe nature and continue to boast there's no evidence for a Creator. It's being reported that Marlin Perkins was an atheist, so I guess it's just something I'm at a loss to understand.
Creation is evidence that creation exists. Possible explanations for how that came to be are not limited to a creator. In fact a creator / first mover is subject to an infinite regress problem with no real solution other than a lame resort to the concept of the supernatural, which as I've pointed out many times, is a explanation that explains exactly nothing.

Some object that such complexity and beauty cannot be the result of "random" events but that is usually based on a common misconception on top of a common misconception. First, evolution is often mischaracterized as "completely random" and secondly, evolution doesn't explain origins of life or matter and doesn't even try to. All it describes is how species evolve once they are there.

We (meaning theists and atheists alike) don't know enough at present about the origins of the universe to have a full explanation, we only have hypotheses at this point, some better (more testable) than others. The other problem is that the advanced math and physics required to begin to understand it is rather beyond most of us. It is tempting then for theists to bypass all this bother and just declare by faith that it went down a certain way. But that would be a mistake. The rational default is to remain open to all possibilities until one of them is substantiated.

Personally I think it will turn out that there is in fact a multiverse and that it is not time dependent (= eternal). I think the strange math that would prove that would be pretty inaccessible so even once science has settled on an explanatory framework for how our universe came to be, some people will reject it because it's not intuitive and violates popular beliefs about origins.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:14 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,246,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
And he was asked if he believes in God. He is agnostic.
Wrong: In an interview with Big Think, Tyson said, "So what people are really after is what is my stance on religion or spirituality or God, and I would say if I find a word that came closest, it would be agnostic ... at the end of the day I'd rather not be any category at all."

I agree with him. I am don't want to be put in any category either becasue as he said when asked the question of whether or not he believed in god...his first words were "I'm not convinced". Then he goes into why he is not convinced.

There are many of us who are not in need of a whole lot of labels like that or don't agree with certain labels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Therefore Neil can't reconcile these problems we face in the universe and on earth with a God Who is good and all knowing and therefore, based upon these issues, he can't see there is a God and is therefore agnostic.
Wrong: In an interview with Big Think, Tyson said, "So what people are really after is what is my stance on religion or spirituality or God, and I would say if I find a word that came closest, it would be agnostic ... at the end of the day I'd rather not be any category at all."

He is a brilliant mind which is why he is not convinced. He sees through all the myths touted in every single religion that has ever been invented.

You can listen to other lectures of his, which you can find on YouTube, and he does a very good job of describing why he is not convinced.

To him spirituality is: "For me, when I say spiritual, I’m referring to a feeling you would have that connects you to the universe in a way that it may defy simple vocabulary. We think about the universe as an intellectual playground, which it surely is, but the moment you learn something that touches an emotion rather than just something intellectual, I would call that a spiritual encounter with the universe."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_deGrasse_Tyson

Here you have a clear cut video, but yet once again you twist the words to try and make it suit your beliefs.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Where did your belief in creationism come from? You were not born with the belief so where did your belief in creationisms come from?

Are you a young earth creationist or an old earth creationist?

Old 01-04-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Where did your belief in creationism come from? You were not born with the belief so where did your belief in creationisms come from?
Nature. It is innate for some.

Quote:
Are you a young earth creationist or an old earth creationist?
Neither.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Nature. It is innate for some.

Neither.
Perhaps you can explain your views of creationism?

You were not born with the idea of a "creator" so where did this idea come from?

Old 01-04-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you can explain your views of creationism?

You were not born with the idea of a "creator" so where did this idea come from?
Nature. I was never indoctrinated into any belief system. As far as I can remember I've always revered nature and felt there was a Creator behind the creation.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:01 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,947,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
And he was asked if he believes in God. He is agnostic.
Quote:

I agree with him. I am don't want to be put in any category either becasue as he said when asked the question of whether or not he believed in god...his first words were "I'm not convinced". Then he goes into why he is not convinced.

There are many of us who are not in need of a whole lot of labels like that or don't agree with certain labels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=fnHY1cC9a4A

Old 01-04-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Nature. I was never indoctrinated into any belief system. As far as I can remember I've always revered nature and felt there was a Creator behind the creation.
Can you describe this creator? What are it's defining characteristics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality