Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 01:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Something like that.
You don't know the exact quote? You think it goes "something like that"? Really? Wow.... a preacher who thinks it goes "something like that". (That may be a clue as to why attendance is falling at your church. Most preachers don't say "It's something like that" when referring to one of Jesus' more famous statements.) FYI....It's Matthew 26:52

Here ya go...KJV:

Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

NIV:

"Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword."

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-08-2015 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 01:40 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
So much for the doctrine of biblical infallibility and inerrancy.

Or does infallibility and inerrancy only apply to verses about homosexuality and salvation by faith alone?
I'm not sure I'm following you. Jesus said on one hand we are to be peaceful, loving people....but on the other hand, we have the duty to protect the innocent, and can protect ourselves when attacked wrongly.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:50 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I'm following you. Jesus said on one hand we are to be peaceful, loving people....but on the other hand, we have the duty to protect the innocent, and can protect ourselves when attacked wrongly.
Are you referring to Luke 22:36? Because if so, you should look at the context...

If you read the surrounding passage, Jesus emphasized that he (and by extension God) had taken care of the needs of his disciples, and asked them to sell what they had to buy swords. Why? Not for self defense, not to protect the innocent. It says in the next verse that it is because in order to fulfill prophecy, Jesus must be found among "transgressors"(outlaws). The disciples replied that they had two swords already, and Jesus said that it was enough. So the purpose was to cast the disciples into "transgressors" or outlaws in order to fulfill a prophecy, not for defense of any kind.

This is further made clear, because it is after this that Peter attack the servant and cuts his ear off. With one of these two swords that are being used to fulfill prophecy, and Jesus rebukes him, saying those who live by the sword will die by the sword.

So if you don't proof text, this passage in no way endorses violence or diminishes the pacifist message of Jesus, the swords here were clearly intended for symbolic purposes...

Unless you are thinking of some other place where Jesus instructed his disciples to buy swords...

-NoCapo

Old 12-08-2015, 02:13 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Of course you're not following me. That's your job.

In other news, coal industry executives don't understand anthropogenic global warming and tobacco industry executives don't understand lung cancer. But I digress.

According to the Bible, Jesus said to "turn the other cheek" and that "those who love by the sword die by the sword." But naturally those verses are of low priority to you.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

According to the Bible, Jesus said to "turn the other cheek" and that "those who love by the sword die by the sword."

"Brothers and sisters, Jesus said something about live by the sword....blah...blah....blah....but who cares about that. Now please bow your heads and join me in asking God to bless the good folks at Remington Firearms and the boys down at Guns R Us. Because Jesus didn't say a thing about guns and this is 'Murica."

Old 12-08-2015, 03:39 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
"Brothers and sisters, Jesus said something about live by the sword....blah...blah....blah....but who cares about that. Now please bow your heads and join me in asking God to bless the good folks at Remington Firearms and the boys down at Guns R Us. Because Jesus didn't say a thing about guns and this is 'Murica."
I imagine that this is fairly accurate in some circles!

Old 12-08-2015, 03:44 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
He did tell his apostles to go buy a sword. Do you realize that?
God created MAN, SAMUEL COLT made them EQUAL...LOL////|||||\\\\\

Old 12-08-2015, 03:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Are you referring to Luke 22:36? Because if so, you should look at the context...

...snip....
Viz - being schooled about context - love it!

Too soon etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality