Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 08:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

I have no idea how people can mix them up. The JW's walk a LOT slower than the LDS.

They could cover twice the territory if they picked up the pace a little. (How urgent can their message be if they deliver it while walking as slowly as humanly possible?) Considering the fact that JW buildings have no windows....I've often wondered if the snail-like pace is so they can see something besides the inside of the Kingdom Hall.

LDS, on the other hand, are usually quite peppy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 08:04 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've never mixed up the Mormons and the JWs.
Yeah, you're one that I don't think does this.

Quote:
I've always thought the Mormons were closer to the Muslims. They follow a post-Christ prophet; have a book with which they are specifically identified; a tradition of polygamy, whether or not it is practiced in any given time and place; rules as to dress, and restrictions on alcohol and restrictions on certain foods and beverages.
Actually, you make some pretty good points. I think the main -- and huge -- difference, though, is that Mormons see Jesus Christ as God (though as a physically distinct person from God the Father) and as the Savior of mankind, whereas Muslims see Him only as one of a number of prophets who preceded Mohammed. And while Muslims see Mohammed as the final prophet, Mormons believe that the Church must always be led by a living prophet.

Quote:
I thought we should steer Muslims to Salt Lake City, just as a social experiment, to see how long it takes for a few members of each group to fall in love and interfaith marriages to take place.
We actually have lots already! There are three Muslim families in my neighborhood and we have socialized with two of them; the third keep very much to themselves. And my husband and I helped a fourth Muslim family (this one from Bosnia) settle as refugees in Salt Lake City. We've pretty much lost touch with them, but were pretty involved with them for a couple of years. They even shared their post-Ramadan feast (don't know if it has a name or not) with us.

Quote:
(Katzpur, I hope you realize that the portion of this post after the first sentence was not meant to be taken seriously.)

Old 12-06-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I have no idea how people can mix them up. The JW's walk a LOT slower than the LDS.
Yes, that would be a truly significant difference.

Quote:
Considering the fact that JW buildings have no windows....
Really? Is this correct?

Old 12-06-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I have heard the same thing from exmos about a Mormon "glow".
There was actually a whole thread about this just before you joined RF.

Quote:
I highly doubt most people know anything of the actual teachings of either group.
You're probably right. I think I know more about JWs than most people, simply because I've made it a point to.

Quote:
From the little I know of the Mormons they follow a similar male hierarchy and family structure as the JWs. JW life centers around their faith(think addict and drug of choice) and I am assuming it is the same for Mormons.
That's probably a reasonably accurate statement.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And that, like most religions when parsed to their cores, they claim their way is either the only way, or the best way.
Yeah, but the truly unique thing about Mormonism is this: We believe that endings here in mortality are not really endings at all. In other words, we don't see death as the final curtain, but just as the end of one act. And we believe that a lot can happen after the spirit leaves the body at death but before it is resurrected at the final judgment. That is probably what draws me to Mormonism more than any other thing. It's the idea that, even though we do believe "our way is the right/best/only way," we don't believe that when someone dies, his opportunity to find the "right/best/only way" suddenly comes to a screeching halt. Plus, we believe -- unlike the JWs -- that virtually all of mankind will ultimately end up in Heaven, and that none will simply be annihilated.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

Really? Is this correct?
It is in my experience. I've yet to see a KH with windows.

A JW will be along in 5...4...3... to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:25 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,601,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, but the truly unique thing about Mormonism is this: We believe that endings here in mortality are not really endings at all. In other words, we don't see death as the final curtain, but just as the end of one act. And we believe that a lot can happen after the spirit leaves the body at death but before it is resurrected at the final judgment. That is probably what draws me to Mormonism more than any other thing. It's the idea that, even though we do believe "our way is the right/best/only way," we don't believe that when someone dies, his opportunity to find the "right/best/only way" suddenly comes to a screeching halt. Plus, we believe -- unlike the JWs -- that virtually all of mankind will ultimately end up in Heaven, and that none will simply be annihilated.
well.... sort of. Mormons believe that they will end up in the highest level of heaven called the Celestial Kingdom. All others who do not accept the Mormon version of Christ will end up in different levels such as the Terrestrial and Telestial kingdoms. Depending on which mormon (age and denomination) you speak to, some will tell you that the Celestial Kingdom is a level with the highest glory and (much like Islam) men will have the ability to marry plural wives. Younger Mormons who were not taught this believe that they will end up there with just their current wife and family.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:27 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:

A JW will be along in 5...4...3... to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.
I'm going to take a closer look at the one I pass on my way into town every day or three.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:27 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,601,343 times
Quote:

Mormons (especially missionaries) deny everything, too. They even deny polygamy despite the LDS church officially admitting in a statement that Joseph Smith had many wives. Even the video at the LDS temple for visitors (I last saw it 3 years ago) showed a movie showing that Joseph Smith only had 1 wife. Talk about deny, deny, deny.
If you have to lie to get converts, it aint legit. JW, Mormons and Muslims deny a lot of things to try to get people to convert.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
well.... sort of. Mormons believe that they will end up in the highest level of heaven called the Celestial Kingdom. All others who do not accept the Mormon version of Christ will end up in different levels such as the Terrestrial and Telestial kingdoms. Depending on which mormon (age and denomination) you speak to, some will tell you that the Celestial Kingdom is a level with the highest glory and (much like Islam) men will have the ability to marry plural wives. Younger Mormons who were not taught this believe that they will end up there with just their current wife and family.
Sort of? So I'm apparently either dishonest or uninformed. Which is it?

The potential is given to every human being who has ever lived to reach the highest degree of glory in the Celestial Kingdom. This includes people who have lived their entire lives as Catholics, Baptists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus and... yes, atheists. There aren't going to be denominations of Christianity or any other religion in Heaven, so it's not going to be Mormons and everybody else. Nobody will be getting married there either, not to one person or to a dozen. It doesn't matter whether you talk to a 19-year-old missionary or to a 79-year-old high priest. If they know their religion, they'll give you the same answer.

I'm hoping a JW will stop by and explain their belief about the afterlife -- particularly who's going to end up where. This is one doctrine on which we differ significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality