Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 07:06 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I love the history and tradition. The art, music, and architecture are all phenomenal. The Traditional Latin Mass is a preview of heaven and a truly transcendent experience.

After many years away, I am feeling the calling of the Holy Mother Church and contemplating a return. It would be a long road to hoe as I have made somewhat of a mess in regards to my standing with the Church but I truly feel a pull back.
The good part is that you never have to hoe roads. You just hoe rows.

Sorry, but it's not the first time I've seen that expression mangled that way on the Internet, and it gives me the giggles every time.

I'm not Catholic, but from what I understand, they certainly would welcome you back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 07:01 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Catholics Come Home |

Yes, they would welcome you home.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:34 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
^^^^^
Very good. And a thought which I found powerful regarding the behavior of 'some' who have betrayed the faith as noted in the post:

'Do not allow the actions of some to cause you to lose faith in the Church as a whole. Discuss your frustrations with a priest or deacon at your local parish, and start your journey back to a welcoming home. Above all, do not lose heart. People may disappoint, but God never leaves us, and He is always present in the Catholic Church he founded'

In my opinion, I will suggest that our human community needs this behavior indelibly for future life. Without it , the continual quest for the good rather than evil, the world will become a more dangerous place.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:24 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
All you need to do is make a good confession and come back. Really easy. Many have done it. Plus the Pope has declared this year the year of mercy. God can and does forgive every sin if one is truly repentant.
Well after going to confession at Mass this past Sunday I was told my return is a bit more than just confession. Since my marriage was not ever blessed by the Church I need to do that first and then go to confession before I'm back in full communion with the Church.

Sunday was also my first Latin Mass and it was divine. It was a "low" Mass, not a sung Mass but it was beautiful nonetheless, though a bit disorienting for one who had only ever attended the Ordinary Form.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Well after going to confession at Mass this past Sunday I was told my return is a bit more than just confession. Since my marriage was not ever blessed by the Church I need to do that first and then go to confession before I'm back in full communion with the Church.

Sunday was also my first Latin Mass and it was divine. It was a "low" Mass, not a sung Mass but it was beautiful nonetheless, though a bit disorienting for one who had only ever attended the Ordinary Form.
Welcome home!!! Sure hope you can get your marriage blessed real soon, that would be wonderful!!

Old 01-20-2016, 11:05 AM

You know I'd just like to note that if I think about it I am amazed at the fact that for the most part I have retained almost completely the language of the Mass. It is imprinted indelibly inside my head. Those beautiful Latin cadences that I spoke while serving Mass in those 'olden' days still echo within me. The Pater Noster well when it's sung it's from another planet...;-)...So much for a 'dead' language to be gone and lost! Perhaps others have had this experience.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:27 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know I'd just like to note that if I think about it I am amazed at the fact that for the most part I have retained almost completely the language of the Mass. It is imprinted indelibly inside my head. Those beautiful Latin cadences that I spoke while serving Mass in those 'olden' days still echo within me. The Pater Noster well when it's sung it's from another planet...;-)...So much for a 'dead' language to be gone and lost! Perhaps others have had this experience.
I think this helps me to see the appeal of Catholicism better for certain personality types. It has largely been a cipher to me, even when I was a believer. I eventually figured out that some people just really like ritual, and the notion (not entirely justified IMO) that it has been practiced just that way since time immemorial. It provides a feeling of continuity, stability, reliability, inevitability, authority, gravitas, etc.

But until you posted this I never considered that it could actually stimulate the brain's pleasure centers and recall early imprinting on the rituals. It's the stuff of genius. We protestants had nothing like that.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Yes, my husband has. He had to learn it in Latin like you did and it stays with him.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:21 PM

Re: 'I think this helps me to see the appeal of Catholicism better for certain personality types. It has largely been a cipher to me, even when I was a believer. I eventually figured out that some people just really like ritual, and the notion (not entirely justified IMO) that it has been practiced just that way since time immemorial. It provides a feeling of continuity, stability, reliability, inevitability, authority, gravitas, etc.

But until you posted this I never considered that it could actually stimulate the brain's pleasure centers and recall early imprinting on the rituals. It's the stuff of genius. We Protestants had nothing like that'

You know I can only say that on a personal basis that 'ritual' which as you pointed out I still have retained indeed is a form of memorial within the context of a specific belief. In a sense my knowledge of the ancient Latin and rubrics of the Mass brings me back to a connection with those 'olden' days where the liturgy first started. I follow in a long line of those who spoke the Latin I know. When I personally think about it it's a moment of great significance.
I like it that I continue the procession of ritual.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I appreciate and respect the Catholic Church for it's many positives, but unfortunately I am considered to be living in a state of mortal sin and in danger of the eternal fires of hell according to that church, so I no longer consider myself to be Catholic. I do not believe I am headed for hell, and I've found my place within the Christian community so I've let go of my hurt and feelings of frustration.

That being said, I still appreciate many things about the Church and harbor no ill feeling toward the institution or it's people. The depth of the history and doctrine is amazing. Many of the disciplines of the Church are very helpful in giving structure and self control and a sense of purpose to one's Christian walk. The richness of family life and the cadence of the liturgical year are wonderful for children especially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality