Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 12:37 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Why, with the large numbers of non-believers on this forum are believers not taking the opportunity to try to win some souls? Missionaries are roaming the world spending precious resources to spread the word of God but on this free forum with a target-rich environment of atheists and fence-straddlers the primary activity of believers seems to be belittling the infidels. There is a multi-page thread of non-believers begging for evidence/enlightenment. Are the atheists here beyond salvation or is this too difficult a playing surface?
The obnoxious Christians on this forum have been a huge driver in pushing me even further away from Christianity than I was before.

Also, I'm a human being, not a target, and as a Christian you should be ashamed of referring to people that way. Congratulations, you've joined the ranks of obnoxious ones on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 01:20 AM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Someone whined that we Christians are big meanies because we don't embrace their lifestyle.
Who is asking you to switch teams?

Old 12-11-2015, 01:38 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
The obnoxious Christians on this forum have been a huge driver in pushing me even further away from Christianity than I was before.

Also, I'm a human being, not a target, and as a Christian you should be ashamed of referring to people that way. Congratulations, you've joined the ranks of obnoxious ones on this forum.
No kidding. Insider, I have no basis to judge you except by the words you posted, and those words are dripping with condescension.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:00 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Who is the fraud but thou ?
You attempt to justify the most pernicious heresies.
You are an Antinomianist. Licentiousness was condemned from the
very beginning of the Church (Nicolaitans, Adamites) - and many
subsequent cults. You comment vigorously against any poster
who defends the true life of faith and worship, while gloating
that monstrous deeds of the flesh are not even sinful.
You refuse Christ everything He demands of you.
Beg God for forgiveness and repent of your evil, or be damned
with the damned spirits that deceive you to hell.
I have spoken with God, He says there us still time to repent but this HATE and OPPRESSION thing has got to stop.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:28 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Stop rebelling against Allah, your True Creator, lest ye burn forever.
Stop misleading people with false theologies. Recognize and acknowledge that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is the ONLY way to Godhead and salvation. I mean, have you lost your noodles? To think otherwise is to be guilty of spaghetti logic.

All together now (singing): RAAA-A-MEN!

Old 12-11-2015, 04:44 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post

True the bolded part of your quote. The picture of Christianity on C-D being drawn by the outspoken Christians here looks mean, angry and judgmental. My question still stands for Christians. Why not use the forum to foster a positive image of Christianity rather than spew negativity? The mention of non-believers as "targets" was tongue in cheek although as a young Baptist I was taught that non-believers were exactly that, opportunities.

For the record I am an atheist.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:55 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
Why, with the large numbers of non-believers on this forum are believers not taking the opportunity to try to win some souls? Missionaries are roaming the world spending precious resources to spread the word of God but on this free forum with a target-rich environment of atheists and fence-straddlers the primary activity of believers seems to be belittling the infidels. There is a multi-page thread of non-believers begging for evidence/enlightenment. Are the atheists here beyond salvation or is this too difficult a playing surface?

In case you don't quite realize the following points (yet) or at least don't quite appreciate the depths and dimensions of the following points . . . which it seems you may not (though I could be wrong) based on what you've said here:

A goodly many of the atheists, agnostics, and other variants of non-believers on these forums (as well as those not participating on these forums) are former Christians themselves . . . many with a history of years or even many decades of investment in the Christian faith. And a goodly number of them took their Christianity quite seriously enough to be evangelical proselytizers in their own right and some even attended seminary or considered doing so.

In other words, what I am saying to you is this: Do you really, really, really think that you have something new and startling to say or offer to them that they are not already familiar with or that you think is going to knock them on their keisters and have them saying “Wow, I never ever thought of that before! Gosh, golly, gee!” (like you are talking to a bunch of wide-eyed newbies)? A goodly number of them (including myself) could very well reduce your attempts to, in the end, wasted words and wasted energies with what you would likely put forth in your attempts. For all you know, they may even wind up converting you or perhaps at least having you filled with serious doubts about your own ideas and positions.

And then there are those who consider themselves to be "Christian" but then of a rather different variety from you and both sides (yours and theirs) may or would, in fact, object to each other's portrayal of what each respective side deems to constitute "true" or "valid" Christianity versus “untrue” or “invalid” Christianity.

And then there are those who are adherents to Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Islam, Theosophy, Paganism, Pantheism, Panentheism, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. . . . . . and so many other schools of thought. Your faith notions, to them, are no more provable or valid or convincing to them that theirs would be to you (in their own minds). You’re each convinced that you have a lock on “THE truth” and yet, in the end, all that each of you have to fall back on are, in the end, faith notions that entail no more than mere assertions of “belief” (re: “I ‘believe’ this and therefore it is true. End of discussion.”).

You will find that you can or will get into as many arguments with others here who choose to use the label “Christian” for themselves yet will tell YOU that you are wrong in what you are putting forth. In other words, apparently, a Christian is not a Christian is not a Christian is not a Christian is not a Christian. As to how many different Christian denominations (schools of thought) there are in this present day:

1. World Christian Encyclopedia (David A. Barrett; Oxford University Press, 1982) apparently estimated almost 21,000 denominations, and the updated World Christian Encyclopedia (Barrett, Kurian, Johnson; Oxford Univ Press, 2nd edition, 2001) estimated at least 33,000. “Denomination” is defined as “an organised christian group within a country”.
  2. The Center for the Study of Global Christianity at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary estimated 34,000 denominations in 2000, rising to an estimated 43,000 in 2012. These numbers have exploded from 1,600 in the year 1900.

So you can spend as much time debating with many of your other fellow humans who deem themselves to be “Christian” and yet may or may not deem what you subscribe to to be reflective of one who is a “valid” or “wholly valid” Christian (or they may find your ideas amenable to whatever degree but don’t like your approach or demeanor or whatever other aspect of how you portray yourself).

Just food for thought for you to ponder, for what it is worth.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:25 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
How many people assuming I'm Christian does it take to make me a Christian? Three so far on one page.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:29 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
"Typical fundie" - believes in the Bible, pays their tithes, prays for others, helps others in the community through various ministries, believes respect and kindness should be shown to all people.

"Typical atheist" - enjoys bashing and mocking Christians, actually thinks mockery and bullying are a good thing as long as it is against Christians, enjoys tearing down the Bible and people's faith, completely negative if you don't agree with them 100% and believes respect as to be earned first which usually entails bowing down and agreeing with them.

Sorry, I think you got it backwards.
LOL! I love it when a fundamentalist inadvertently scores one for my team. It's like those childish after-school movies where the fat kid catches the ball and runs the wrong way scoring a touchdown for the other team.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
How many people assuming I'm Christian does it take to make me a Christian? Three so far on one page.
I have been ASSuMEd to be many things, but rarely a "christian" by fundie standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality