Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 10:11 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You are correct, to a point. He was one of the so-called "Young, Restless, and Reformed". He was known for sometimes using bad language from the pulpit, speaking plainly, and just being a "tough guy". Honestly...I've always considered him a fraud. Of course, he's now growing older, and people are expecting him to act more mature, and that's where he's gotten into some trouble. They were willing to give him a pass and call it youthful exuberance.

I don't know that I've ever seen anything from him, though, to suggest he is condescending toward women. In fact, he's partnered with his wife on some teachings on marriage.
He has shown himself with his words about women. You are not seeing it. He is condescending, and misogynistic.

He has partnered with his wife, and remains condescending and misogynistic. The two things are not mutually exclusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 10:24 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
He has shown himself with his words about women. You are not seeing it. He is condescending, and misogynistic.

He has partnered with his wife, and remains condescending and misogynistic. The two things are not mutually exclusive.
I won't argue that. Honestly....I really have never enjoyed listening to him. I find him unprofessional, immature, and frankly, his nasally voice just kind of annoys me. If you say so, I can't deny that. Perhaps he is. I know that one of the issues he had at Mars Hill was that he was just overbearing and a control freak. He bragged about "kicking people off the bus" if they didn't want to do things his way and he said there was "a pile of bodies behind the bus". When the church elders tried to take him to task for it he resigned.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:24 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Will Mark Driscoll be transformed in his new Phoenix church? - Strange Bedfellows — Politics News

What is it with these multiple lives that evangelical spokespeople and pastors such as Driscoll, Baker, or Hovind keep coming back to bamboozle more people?

Where do they find the suckers who follow them? How can any Christian support these con artists?
Let's not forget Swaggert....

Old 12-18-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Let's not forget Swaggert....
lol..no kidding. I have no idea how that guy still has a following. I've had people complain to me that I should preach like him -- because he's the "best preacher EVER!"

Have you seen that channel 5 on Dish Network has become the Jimmy channel? 24/7 you can now turn on Dish Network to see him or his son, or his grandson or his wife doing their thing.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:34 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
lol..no kidding. I have no idea how that guy still has a following. I've had people complain to me that I should preach like him -- because he's the "best preacher EVER!"

Have you seen that channel 5 on Dish Network has become the Jimmy channel? 24/7 you can now turn on Dish Network to see him or his son, or his grandson or his wife doing their thing.
I think that I have seen that channel in passing through the menu guide...Never actually looked at it...I don't like televangelists....

Old 12-18-2015, 10:40 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,337 times
Those who follow charlatans are looking for someone they feel fits the bill on their form of beliefs. Many not at all aware of what Gods word has to say and just believe what they are told. Look at what can happen to them with the likes of Jim Jones,David Karesch and Warren Jeff's. He's in prison yet they are loyal to the end. Jim Baker served time and has his ministry back along with Jimmy Swaggert. Their followers not looking for truth therefore will never find it.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Those who follow charlatans are looking for someone they feel fits the bill on their form of beliefs. Many not at all aware of what Gods word has to say and just believe what they are told. Look at what can happen to them with the likes of Jim Jones,David Karesch and Warren Jeff's. He's in prison yet they are loyal to the end. Jim Baker served time and has his ministry back along with Jimmy Swaggert. Their followers not looking for truth therefore will never find it.
Actually...I think a lot of folks just want to follow a personality they like. That's why you see some of the televangelist types teaching complete nonsense and bilking their followers out of all kinds of money......but people keep following them. For some reason people just trust Swaggart...even though he's demonstrated he can't be trusted.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:51 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Actually...I think a lot of folks just want to follow a personality they like. That's why you see some of the televangelist types teaching complete nonsense and bilking their followers out of all kinds of money......but people keep following them. For some reason people just trust Swaggart...even though he's demonstrated he can't be trusted.
The prosperity gospel is an appeal to greed. If you just have a little faith and give a little money with a pure enough motive ... god will open the floodgates of his riches and you will have everything you ever dreamed of.

Of course it's presented in a more nuanced and deniable fashion than that ... but that's it in a nutshell.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:09 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,001 times
Yeah I didn't follow Marks walk at Mars Hill as my list of pastors ,evangelists, and prophet-likes is about 30. I perceive Jim Bakker as a refurbished man of God ,who although wrong in so many ways has recaptured his ministry near Branson Mo. Where we visited and helped with their Christmas program. Jim and Lori Bakker met after his prison stint , worked LA slums, adopted six parentless kids and began a comeback climaxed by Moriingside in Blue Eye a amazing compound funded by a christian developer and they just finished Lori's House for unwed mom's. Camping ( Tent/RV) 115 condo rentals and a huge barn for prepper supplies ( end-times preparation center). The guests he has had covers the entire gammit. I believe Mark Discoll would be welcomed. His problems stemed from being a hot head, tyrannical and pushy. In a role of pastor you must moderate your temperament, persona and listen instead of being a control freak!!!

Old 12-20-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Yeah I didn't follow Marks walk at Mars Hill as my list of pastors ,evangelists, and prophet-likes is about 30. I perceive Jim Bakker as a refurbished man of God ,who although wrong in so many ways has recaptured his ministry near Branson Mo. Where we visited and helped with their Christmas program. Jim and Lori Bakker met after his prison stint , worked LA slums, adopted six parentless kids and began a comeback climaxed by Moriingside in Blue Eye a amazing compound funded by a christian developer and they just finished Lori's House for unwed mom's. Camping ( Tent/RV) 115 condo rentals and a huge barn for prepper supplies ( end-times preparation center). The guests he has had covers the entire gammit. I believe Mark Discoll would be welcomed. His problems stemed from being a hot head, tyrannical and pushy. In a role of pastor you must moderate your temperament, persona and listen instead of being a control freak!!!
Driscoll was also proven to have plagiarized in writing his books and using church funds to buy his way onto the best sellers's list. Not to mention, he has claimed that God has given him x-rated visions of women being sexually abused.

When his elders attempted to discipline him he picked up and ran. He refused to face discipline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality