Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 05:03 PM

363 posts, read 989,007 times

Advertisements

What is the purpose of praying? I'm not a religious man. I am pretty much an atheist, but at the same time I do don get offended at the word "God" in our Constitution or printed on our currency. But most Christians I know all seem to feel everything is God's work and that God has a plan for everyone. If God is in control then won't prayer just be a waste of time and energy. I just don't get it. To me the word "prayer" is just a nice gesture that is offered to some one in crisis. Kind of like "oh your father has cancer, we will pray for you". I guess it sounds better than "oh your dad has cancer, God really had a kick ass plan for him, he should be thankful".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 05:38 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,661,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phone man View Post
What is the purpose of praying? I'm not a religious man. I am pretty much an atheist, but at the same time I do don get offended at the word "God" in our Constitution or printed on our currency. But most Christians I know all seem to feel everything is God's work and that God has a plan for everyone. If God is in control then won't prayer just be a waste of time and energy. I just don't get it. To me the word "prayer" is just a nice gesture that is offered to some one in crisis. Kind of like "oh your father has cancer, we will pray for you". I guess it sounds better than "oh your dad has cancer, God really had a kick ass plan for him, he should be thankful".

First off, if you don't mind a little criticism, God is not mentioned in the U.S. Constitution, as far as prayer goes it's not strictly a Christian thing, there are many different beliefs and religions that use prayer when addressing their Creator and basically it's used as a request for the Creator to use its powers to intervene on whatever situation that we as mortal humans cannot handle. Basically that's it.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:23 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
God already has everything mapped out. So why pray? Prayer aligns us with what God is doing. We don't twist God's arm by prayer.

God is not really into prayer circles. He prefers prayer squares. :-)

Old 07-22-2012, 07:36 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
It is often used as an excuse instead of actually doing something.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:00 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
To understand God.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
To understand God.
Guess that is why people pray with their eyes closed and head bowed, for it they dared to open their or look around they would see there is no evidence of whom they are trying to talk to.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Guess that is why people pray with their eyes closed and head bowed, for it they dared to open their or look around they would see there is no evidence of whom they are trying to talk to.
You imply sight is the only way to know if something is real. Surely, you know otherwise.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:19 PM

363 posts, read 989,007 times
Understand God? People have been prayer for thousands of years and no one yet has come close to proving or fully understanding what they are praying to. This is one of the reasons why I don't understand.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:24 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
First off, if you don't mind a little criticism, God is not mentioned in the U.S. Constitution, as far as prayer goes it's not strictly a Christian thing, there are many different beliefs and religions that use prayer when addressing their Creator and basically it's used as a request for the Creator to use its powers to intervene on whatever situation that we as mortal humans cannot handle. Basically that's it.
I'll add that often a prayer is asking for guidance. This isn't exclusive to Christianity or even any religion in general. People who are in tune with their natural intuition often "ask" a question as to what to do next about a given situation in life and then just "put it out there" and wait for a response. It isn't much different from prayer, except they aren't seeing a deity as source of the response.

Sometimes (the best way, IMO) is when prayer is without words, more of a lifting up of a part of oneself to the Creator/God/Universe/Whatever.

Some people also meditate, which is similar to prayer. And some do both, or rather the line between prayer and meditation is blurred. For example, some Christians pray a rosary, a set of repetitive prayers that serve to occupy the mind while the higher self can then reach a place where one communes with something larger than itself.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Understand God? People have been prayer for thousands of years and no one yet has come close to proving or fully understanding what they are praying to. This is one of the reasons why I don't understand.
How do you know what they've discovered or come to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality