Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:32 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,387,441 times

Advertisements

Maybe I am being a negative thinker here but I fear that things may come to a boiling point with these people. I'm not sure what exactly but I fear something awful is going to happen.

They upset too many people, they are totally out of touch and frankly nothing they do would shock me.

Look back at some of the cults in the past, Jim Jones and the group of wing nuts that wanted to meet the space ship on the other side of the Hale Bop comet, I think they were the Heavens Gate people.

If they don't harm themselves then I fear someone will get sick of them and do something to them. While I find their actions dispicable, I would hate to see someone do something to them and end up in jail over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,216,404 times
Default Do you really take Fred Phelps and Westboro Baptist seriously?

No.

He makes a horrible name for Christians across the world.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:14 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,320,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
just curious as to what is shaping your opinion in this direction. thanks, aaron out.
I read something the other day: it said that 45% of americans believe the earth is less than 10,000 years old. that's nearly half of the population. I even checked it in a few places, and the numbers were close. there is no way that any science can make head way with those numbers. Here anyhow, science is becoming more of an enemy everyday. Charter schools can get away with teaching religion in class. Religious colleges are sending more people into politics.

Maybe it's because i live in a very very very religious area, but I have noticed that the voice of religion is becoming louder and louder, and opinions are becoming more and more polarized.

Maybe this is the last shout of a system of ideals on its deathbed, but as I said a simple look through history will illustrate the pure lunacy that religion can bring. It isn't much of a stretch to think it could happen again.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:38 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,220,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
There are plenty of accepting churches. We have a Presbyterian church nearby that's accepting and an Episcopal one. I know some churches claim churches like this are wrong and not "Bible believing", but really, whatever church you choose, another church within Christianity thinks it's wrong. Although you would probably find that every U.S. church other than Westboro Baptist agrees that Westboro is wrong!

We tried Dignity and MCC many years ago, and didn't care much for them. I don't know, just a little "too gay" for me.
The pastor of the Independent Fundamental Baptist church I attended in Ft. Smith, AR and still visit when visiting my folks says that Phelps is a clever man who speaks the truth, and that he just has poor taste. Many sermons deal with how homosexuality is society's number one problem and how God is preparing to destroy America for accepting it. People in the church commonly joke (sometimes seriously) about killing homosexuals. I was taught growing up to believe that being gay was a greater sin than murder.

I believe churches like this are more common than people think throughout the deep rural Bible belt. Watching Jesus camp reminded me of my childhood and attending camp every summer, which was exactly like what is depicted in the film.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:33 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,447,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Coexist, yes. We have little choice in that. But I could never be close to anyone who believed that I've "made a wrong lifestyle choice", including my own parents.

Could you honestly be good friends with someone who told you, "I disagree with your choice to be an evangelical Christian and believe your are very wrong and morally bankrupt for making that choice to be a part of a wrong religion". Plus knowing that person wanted to outlaw evangelicals from marrying and wanted the right to fire them for being evangelical? Seriously.
sorry, lost track of this thread for a while...

remember that i am admonishing the antigays everywhere as much as i am the gays. i think that it takes cooperation. in my marraige, i could try to live with my wife if she were abusive and cruel, but it probably wouldn't work out very well, no matter my intentions. but if we both make the conscious decision to get along, then it is possible.

i realize that the above example is lame as far as societal relations go. but the premise is the same i believe.

i do live with *some* of that prejudice. repeat, some. i am not evangelical, i am from the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints, the mormons. i take flak for it all the time. 'how could you call yourself a christian?' 'how could you be a part of that cult and still pretend to be a reasonable, thinking men?' etc, ad nauseam.

i have had to put up with cooworkers and bosses (especially in the military) that did not like me for my beliefs, and have been denied a few opportunities based on my beliefs. i had dynamite thrown at me when i was a missionary in south america by 'christians' who were out to teach me the errors of my ways. i've been pushed, insulted, spit on, hated, ignored, threatened with shotguns, bitten by trained dogs, had things thrown at me, etc.

now, i admit that i have had it pretty easy compared to many, and especially now that i live in utah, i'm at peace. i'm only one of a million again, not the minority. there are few places where homosexuals can go that they are not the minority. and the hated minority at that. things are changing though (not that i necessarily welcome the changes)...

i like to wander in case you haven't noticed. so, while i have not had as much of a necessity to live with and alongside the same people that throw rocks at me (most of the time they were in cars and would drive off, and i would never see them again), i still do interact with some of them on a regular basis. in many cases we have been able to reach a ceasefire. i am pretty good friends with a couple of them now, even though they still say i'm going to hell for 'worshipping the golden bible and the drunk prophet.'

i do believe it is possible. i have to hope anyway.

good luck. peace be unto you, me, and everyone else. aaron out.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Maybe I am being a negative thinker here but I fear that things may come to a boiling point with these people. I'm not sure what exactly but I fear something awful is going to happen.

They upset too many people, they are totally out of touch and frankly nothing they do would shock me.

Look back at some of the cults in the past, Jim Jones and the group of wing nuts that wanted to meet the space ship on the other side of the Hale Bop comet, I think they were the Heavens Gate people.

If they don't harm themselves then I fear someone will get sick of them and do something to them. While I find their actions dispicable, I would hate to see someone do something to them and end up in jail over it.
unfortunately, i fear the same thing. someone is going to snap, and probably someone who represents christianity or at least reason and peace, and is going to do something that phelps can just use as ammunition. it will just feed is attention-starved mania.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:41 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,374,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
unfortunately, i fear the same thing. someone is going to snap, and probably someone who represents christianity or at least reason and peace, and is going to do something that phelps can just use as ammunition. it will just feed is attention-starved mania.
What's to fear? Phelps will never run out of "ammunition" no matter what.
I say: get 'im.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
i got a belly rumble out of that one. thanks for the chuckle.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:35 AM

15,843 posts, read 21,376,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Oh I don't fear ol' Phelpsy and his clan getting what's coming to them. But whoever actually does the deed...

Old 02-13-2008, 04:39 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,241,111 times
I'm with Mooseketeer on this one. Phelps is dangerous, gives all christians a bad name and is, for some reason, not brought to task for his behavior. He espouses vile hatred and anger in the name of your god.

I fear him, he is not a joke. There are obviously many christians who feel as he does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality