Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 02:11 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times

Advertisements

Should it be good for the rest of us?

The gathering of people from all faiths, to a sit down feast of thanks and worship?

How about just a gathering to show support? Would you be there?
Attached Thumbnails
If it is good for our "leadership"-pope_interfaith_911_memorial.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 02:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Would you be there?
I have and I would.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:33 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:

The gathering of people from all faiths, to a sit down feast of thanks and worship?

I'd be the first in line. There actually is an interfaith performance (mostly song and dance, but also prayers) every February in Salt Lake City. I've been to it twice now, and it's been very worthwhile.

Old 12-20-2015, 02:40 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
I am neither very interested nor impressed with such things but I would not be against anything that could be labeled "interfaith" or "ecumenical" and I might even attend if I had nothing in particular to do. To my mind a world without religion would be a better world but pragmatically people getting along and cooperating on whatever pretense is better than fighting.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
I'm sorry, but I cannot engage in prayer to another God. The God of the Bible is not the same God that is worshiped by those other religions. I would not be able to. I would not suggest we mistreat one another -- we need to be polite and kind, but we don't have to pray to each other's Gods to get along.

I am part of a County Ministerial association. I meet monthly (and serve as an officer) with pastors, male and female, from Lutheran, Methodist, Word of Faith/Pentecostal, and others. I'm not above meeting with others that don't believe exactly as I do...but I just can't engage in worship to a God I don't believe in.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm sorry, but I cannot engage in prayer to another God. The God of the Bible is not the same God that is worshiped by those other religions. I would not be able to. I would not suggest we mistreat one another -- we need to be polite and kind, but we don't have to pray to each other's Gods to get along.

I am part of a County Ministerial association. I meet monthly (and serve as an officer) with pastors, male and female, from Lutheran, Methodist, Word of Faith/Pentecostal, and others. I'm not above meeting with others that don't believe exactly as I do...but I just can't engage in worship to a God I don't believe in.

No one needs someone saying, "That's not my God!!!!" at an inter-faith prayer service. Thank you for staying away.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:27 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No one needs someone saying, "That's not my God!!!!" at an inter-faith prayer service. Thank you for staying away.
I wouldn't say it. I would show more self-control than that...but I'd rather just not go.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:43 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:

Yes - If they would invite the goddless bastard. I take Mordant's point about it being of no interest to atheists, but for me, the encouraging noises towards stopping religious wrangling don't set off my alarm bells - even though I am aware of the religions bunching together to stem the rising tide of irreligion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I wish I'd posted that.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:48 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Sort of the fellings of many who experience Christian worship at public events or in schools Vizio.

OP, I thought this was rather common but apparently not acceptable by all.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:56 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
I would not worship with them.

I would be the one to feed them.
You can tell a lot about a woman, by those she invites to her table. The men are of no interest to me. They are impotent leaders.

Who would you invite to your table?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality