Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 07:58 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,544 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I've got a two part question because I'm interested mostly. My question:

1. When did you become whatever you are now? (Christian, Muslim, Atheist, Agnostic, etc.)
2. What led you to that conclusion?

In particular, I find the idea of going from atheist to theist very interesting. What could one see that convinces them of the existence of God?

Personally, I've been Christian most of my life. Upon entering highschool, I changed to Agnostic and now I am atheist.

I became agnostic because I realized there's really no way for me to know if there's a God. I then turned atheist because I believe there's no reason to suspect there may be a God.

Please keep it somewhat civil

Skyl3r
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 08:22 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
On July 5, 1040 I was born into a Roman Catholic family and was given the "Label" of Catholic. The first of several labels. About when I was 25 years old I started "Church Hopping" and became non-denominentional and a year or so later accepted the label of Christian" that lasted until I was about 45 years old and I arrived at the conclusion god did not exist and I was basically was an Atheist, However I did practice Zen and called myself a Buddhist, but had no religious ideology. At 65 years old I learned I was Muslim and have carried that label ever since.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:22 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
I was given my label. It's not one I use personally. I just don't believe in gods, or son's of gods, or magical saintly friends of gods.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:33 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Well, I think I was always what I am now, which is an agnostic/atheist. Even as a small child I asked questions at church that never got answered to my satisfaction. Everything boiled down to, "God is in control", or "God works in mysterious ways", type thinking. Even at 7-8 I realized that this just did not work for me. I never bought into what they were selling.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:35 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
20 years ago I became a Pagan left Christianity behind I found it to be heartless & self serving.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:50 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Not one for "labels." Raised in a non-denominational environment, but heavily christian influenced.

The city had most main-stream christian groups and a small representation of non-traditional groups like JW, 7th Day and a Mormon or three here and there.
Parents never applied any pressure to adhere to any ONE specific group. But as I was evolving, I was more concerned with social equality /justice than I was with religious doctrine.

It was 1996, when I moved to Madison, Wisconsin that I accepted what "label" actually described me--- ANARCHY.

Then I was told an anarchist could not have religion / spirituality. That an anarchist could not be involved in traditional government.

Fast forward to 2015, and here I am, a spiritual-anarchist-social-activist-fighting-for-community under the idea that if religion has anything to teach us--it is LOVE and ACCEPTANCE of our neighbors and that everyone is entitled to live as they see fit so long as others are not coerced into participation and the good of the community is always first.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:59 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,544 times
I didn't know what better word to use than "label." I mean your religious view or lack thereof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
On July 5, 1040 I was born into a Roman Catholic family and was given the "Label" of Catholic. The first of several labels. About when I was 25 years old I started "Church Hopping" and became non-denominentional and a year or so later accepted the label of Christian" that lasted until I was about 45 years old and I arrived at the conclusion god did not exist and I was basically was an Atheist, However I did practice Zen and called myself a Buddhist, but had no religious ideology. At 65 years old I learned I was Muslim and have carried that label ever since.
You "learned" that you were Muslim? What do you mean by this?
It sounds like you're saying you were always Muslim and you didn't realize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Well, I think I was always what I am now, which is an agnostic/atheist. Even as a small child I asked questions at church that never got answered to my satisfaction. Everything boiled down to, "God is in control", or "God works in mysterious ways", type thinking. Even at 7-8 I realized that this just did not work for me. I never bought into what they were selling.
I've heard time and time again that an Atheist is born Atheist. I think your story reflects why this is pretty accurately.
One thing they would always tell me at church that made me annoyed is when I would ask "I don't know if I believe there's a God... How do you know there's a God?" They would say "Try praying about it."

Old 12-24-2015, 09:20 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
I was given the label as Jewish because my parents were Jewish. I realized early on that they were not religious but were very strong believers in being at least somewhat of ethnic Jews if that makes any sense. I think I went through my childhood and much of my early life as apathetic. Religious beliefs and religion interested me but I had no real opinion on what I did or did not believe in. Probably in my 40s I concluded that although it is an interesting topic I did not believe in the existence of any god and that I was not agnostic in that I did not believe that it was impossible to come up with a rational on whether you beleived or not so I labelled myself as an atheistic.

At that time my wife who grew up in a Christian home that went to church for weddings, funerals and baptisms she was unsure if she was an atheist or a pagan. She is the former but has a big interest in the myths and beliefs of the latter. I might also be labelled old but I still do not think I am as old as my parents were at this age.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:23 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
I didn't know what better word to use than "label." I mean your religious view or lack thereof.

You "learned" that you were Muslim? What do you mean by this?
It sounds like you're saying you were always Muslim and you didn't realize it.

I've heard time and time again that an Atheist is born Atheist. I think your story reflects why this is pretty accurately.
One thing they would always tell me at church that made me annoyed is when I would ask "I don't know if I believe there's a God... How do you know there's a God?" They would say "Try praying about it."
Quite correct, I learned I was always Muslim and never realized it.

In 2005 I had a personal experience that made me realize God(swt) does exist. I also came to the conclusion that Our role as human's is to learn that there is "Only one God(swt) who has no equals, partners or progeny and only he is to be worshiped" To do that is perming the Act of Islam and a person who performs Islam is a Muslim. So in effect I was always Muslim, but denied it durin My Atheist years and did not understand I was performing Islam during my Christian years, although in a misunderstood manner.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:26 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

and I thought I was Old.... My brother I realize some of us are what others would consider ancient but 1040.... Now that is ancient, almost as ancient as myself....lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality