Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 07:10 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Who's "we"? What's "the right side of things"? I'm not sure what you mean by that so I can't answer the first question. If you can clarify then I will give you my answer.

I am NOT willing to gamble my life on choosing the wrong god, no. Are you? Thor is a jealous god, as far as I can tell. Are you willing to risk His displeasure once you are dead? Or Zeus'? Or any god's? If not, what is your plan to avoid their anger in case they (which is likely as not) are the "real" god out of all the gods that people throughout the ages have mentioned? You will have died never having worshiped the one the real god turns out to be - indeed, you'll have lived DIRECTLY worshiping a false idol/false idea in that case, a direct slap in the face to the god that turns out to be the right one; what is your plan in that case?

Again, I have no reason to concern myself with other beliefs in which there is zero evidence to support their probability factor. The probability factor is high that the God of the Bible is the one true God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 07:17 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The probability factor is high that the God of the Bible is the one true God.
1.6 billion Muslims haven't gotten the memo. Nor have the world's Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, Taoists, Zoroastrians, atheists, and agnostics. Explain to the world why the "probability factor" for BibleGod is high.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:30 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
1.6 billion Muslims haven't gotten the memo. Nor have the world's Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, Taoists, Zoroastrians, atheists, and agnostics. Explain to the world why the "probability factor" for BibleGod is high.
It's because he wants it to be.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:11 AM

19,993 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Again, I have no reason to concern myself with other beliefs in which there is zero evidence to support their probability factor. The probability factor is high that the God of the Bible is the one true God.
It's kind of amusing watching you try to borrow strategies from your opponents. Your sole strategy is to assert things forcefully, sometimes with some tangential factoid brought in as "proof". You're so accustomed to this that you think debate is a game of forceful assertions and that it's some kind of coup to throw a stratagem that we use back at us.

If you're going to claim a high probability factor that deities exist -- much less your favored one -- then do regale us with actual evidence to support that probability. Evidence BTW does not consist of bible quotes and personal subjective experiences and opinions, arguments from incredulity, and the like. If you want to take on that kind of burden of proof, carry on. How you are going to do that when you've been utterly unable to alter our assessment of probability is beyond me, but do try.

Keep in mind now that you are making the positive (and extraordinary) claim. You are not a skeptic open to being convinced and being presented with nothing convincing. You are a believer with the preconception and closed to being disabused of it. Enjoy swimming uphill through jello to move a mountain with a teaspoon.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:33 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Hello old horse. Well all that is fine and dandy if you believe that what is written in the Bible is true. I do not believe that so quoting the Bible to an atheist is a pointless waste of time. I don't believe the Bible. If I did, we wouldn't be having this conversation would we? To me is is nothing more than superstitious waffle.

Now old boy...let's get back to the question I asked and you avoided, which was....

'...apart from your god belief, can you give me one thing in your everyday life where you rely on 'faith'?'

You too old thing.
In answer to your bolded question: I take it by faith that my pay check will be coming at the end of each month. This faith is not an empty faith but is based on the believability of those who hire me.

I take it by faith that the sun will appear to rise in the morning due to the believability that I have that the earth will continue to rotate at 1,000 miles per hour on its axis.

I do not have faith in what some of our elected officials say that they will undo Obama Care simply because they are not believable and have gone back on their word too many times.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:37 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I think the Muslims did get the memo. "Allah" is just the Aribic spelling/pronounciation of the Hebrew "Aloah" which is the God of the Bible.

But why would God give a memo to all the other ists and ics and ians since they are not on his rotary file?

Old 01-05-2016, 08:41 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
In answer to your bolded question: I take it by faith that my pay check will be coming at the end of each month. This faith is not an empty faith but is based on the believability of those who hire me.

I take it by faith that the sun will appear to rise in the morning due to the believability that I have that the earth will continue to rotate at 1,000 miles per hour on its axis.

I do not have faith in what some of our elected officials say that they will undo Obama Care simply because they are not believable and have gone back on their word too many times.
These are demonstrations of justified beliefs.

You have good reason to believe your paycheck will show up...it has for quite sometime and you (likely) have no reason to think your company is out of money to pay you with. If you did suspect this, you likely would have moved on.

You have good reason to believe the sun will come up as it seems evident its done that every day you've been alive. You may not gnostically proclaim it will...but you are justified to believe it.

You have good reason to be skeptical of what politicians say. And in fact, similar to the atheist position on god(s), you have a justified belief based on the evidence of what most politicians tend to actually do.

Again...if you had no justification for any of these beliefs...we'd call them faith.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
In answer to your bolded question: I take it by faith that my pay check will be coming at the end of each month.
That isn't faith. It is a trust that is based on the past verifiable evidence that your pay cheque has come at the end of each month.

Quote:
No again. That is not faith, it is a trust that is based on the verifiable evidence that6 the sun has always risen every other morning.

Do you get it now old boy. 'Faith' is a belief that something is true or will happen despite there being no verifiable evidence for it being true or for it happening. The two examples you gave are not based on no evidence...there is, in fact, lots of verifiable evidence for them.

Let's look at an example. Every morning for the past 10 years you have inserted the ignition key into your car, turned it and the engine has started immediately. So, tomorrow you will not have 'faith' that your car will start, you will have a trust that is based on the objective, verifiable evidence that you car has always started at the first time.

However, Let's say that every morning for the past 10 years you have inserted the ignition key into your car, turned it and the engine has failed to start immediately but takes five or six attempts. So, tomorrow you go to your car and you tell yourself that this morning the engine will fire immediately. THAT is 'faith' ...because your hope/wish/belief that the engine will start immediately is not supported by the objective, verifiable evidence.

1. I trust that my car will start immediately because it always has in the past (verifiable evidence for this is available).

2. I have faith that my car will start even though it never has in the past (no verifiable evidence to support your belief).

Even your Bible says....

'Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.....'

So let's try again. '...apart from your god belief, can you give me one thing in your everyday life where you rely on 'faith'?'

Old 01-05-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
These are demonstrations of justified beliefs.

You have good reason to believe your paycheck will show up...it has for quite sometime and you (likely) have no reason to think your company is out of money to pay you with. If you did suspect this, you likely would have moved on.

You have good reason to believe the sun will come up as it seems evident its done that every day you've been alive. You may not gnostically proclaim it will...but you are justified to believe it.

You have good reason to be skeptical of what politicians say. And in fact, similar to the atheist position on god(s), you have a justified belief based on the evidence of what most politicians tend to actually do.

Again...if you had no justification for any of these beliefs...we'd call them faith.
Exactly!

Old 01-05-2016, 08:57 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Faith IS ignorance...and worse it is WILFUL ignorance. It is what you use when the evidence tells you what you don't want to true. Think about it...there is not one single thing in your everyday life that you take on 'faith' other than your god belief.

So then old chum...apart from you god belief, can you give me one thing in your everyday life where you rely on 'faith'?
I am not Eusebius, but, if I may.... every time you enter a relationship, you do it on faith. You trust the other person not to cheat on you, not to break your heart, not to swindle you out of your property. You trust that the other person will love you and care for you. Sometimes the opposite happens, but everybody who is in love, still trusts his/her loved one. And that is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality