Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 07:00 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by khminh View Post
I don't know what Buddhists of other ethnicities do. When Vietnamese Buddhists invite people to a pagoda or Buddhist temple, I have seen them ask "do you practice any religion?"

If the answer is yes, there would be no invitation. If the answer is no, the invitation might proceed.

Although I'm Vietnamese, I am a bit embarrassed when I see this. It's a cultural trait I don't like since religion is sacred and personal, and Vietnamese people can sometimes violate people's personal space without intention.

Having said that, I'm relieved to see my people don't make an assumption about other people's beliefs like Christians do.

I think it depends on how it is being asked.

For example, some Christians will ask in order to judge the other person (as we see in this forum).
But others (like me) might ask because we are very interested in learning about different cultures and religions.

A former student of mine, who is Vietnamese and now in his 40s, recently got in touch with me through Facebook. He was very surprised to learn that I was Theravadan Buddhist, and I was surprised to learn that his Vietnamese Buddhism is much more related to Tibetan Buddhism. That intrigued me, and we often chat online about Buddhist principles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 07:05 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
OH! The HUMANITY!!!!!!

OH HOW CAN WE PERSECUTE people like that! That's HORRIBLE!

Good grief.
All I did was tell MightyQueen how things normally happen in the south. I have no idea why that caused such a rant from you. Maybe you've never had somebody make you uncomfortable with a personal question.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:07 PM

197 posts, read 86,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I find it interesting how different (more strict) the Buddhism is at my temple, as discussed by the monks, than "American Buddhism" is, which almost seems to be a bit too new-age-ish to me.
Sorry, I meant the Buddha said people should not believe what he said without examining the claims.

I know a little bit about Western Buddhism. I read a book called Buddhism for dummies to see how Western people perceived Buddhism. They seem to be more pragmatic about the practice than mere beliefs. Jack Kornfield is one example.

I think this is a good thing. Although immigration brought Buddhism to this country, I really don't want to see America adopt superstitious version of Buddhism. Practical approach to mindfulness, meditation, contemplation, appropriate dharma are healthier for our society.

Christianity and Islam have caused so much divisiveness among people. I don't want to see Buddhism join their club.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:15 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
Fine and Dandy.. IF you have a personal calling to PREACH. However, in Countries that have freedom of speech.. then YOU should expect "TURN AWAYS" or "Laughing to your FACE" to Doors slamming or ignoring you as you preach .. The list is endless!!

Point is some like yourself love to PREACH "The Word" others don't even though understand what some things you may say. THERE's always a BUT or HOWEVER to this!!

1. YOU have the Right to Preach on a soapbox.. go door to door or approach strangers... However ALL these people ALSO have the RIGHT to rebuff/rebuke/disavow what you are preaching ( that called freedom)!

2. Some chose to "TALK the Walk" and others chose to " WALK the Talk". The difference is those that preach vs those that walk often makes the difference.

3. Talk in general is CHEAP as whomever hears or listens to you do NOT know you ( remember Cultists Historical preachings of the pasts may clue you in as to why so many doubt the words you preach!

4. The Walk is in of itself a demonstration that may be appreciated and admired and even after time become inspiration to others . No need to Preach.. the demonstrative work done inspires the receiver of that work learn with time that whomever delivered that service becomes appreciative . The also come forward years later to thank and validate that persons Actions because it inspired them to believe there's some who are influential and make a difference in their lives!!

I never once was asked IF I was a Christian much less Religious... BUT by pursing my inner beliefs I once again chose to do my best to Help/Assist/ make a difference in all the lives I touched in a 44 year career in "Caregiving". Validations came much later.. but for sure a Believer must have PATIENCE and desire to only do good deeds for the mere sake of "Doing the Best You can"

As I said.. Christians often mistaken words are equivalent to being a "Good Christian" but how many preachers have been caught Talking the message.. BUT did NOT Walk the very message he was Preaching... History has a very long list list IF you care to Google it!! It's not a wonder so many have backed away from Religion!! Good People have no need to be affiliated with an Organized Religion of any sort... More often and NOT many BAD USE the teachings warped to manipulate ( again long history of Cult Leaders who selectively quote something out of context that suits their agenda!

Apologize for my long winded reply.. however, I wanted to explain just how I perceive the difficulties you are seemingly experiencing!

Old 10-25-2017, 08:22 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
All I did was tell MightyQueen how things normally happen in the south. I have no idea why that caused such a rant from you. Maybe you've never had somebody make you uncomfortable with a personal question.
Mensa, I think that they don't get that it IS a personal question. My faith, my spiritual life, is personal to me, a living ever-changing thing. I couldn't even fully explain to someone else what it is if I tried. No pat little verses or pithy definitions would do it.

I know other people who walk other paths feel this way and that their faith/spirituality is personal to THEM. Unless we mutually agree to discuss it, or aspects of it, it's no one else's business.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
I'm very happy to live in a country where people don't much care where, what, or if, someone worships.

Because it's really not important.

What's important is who people are.

My ex-father-in-law was a wonderful, crotchety old guy who lost a lung to mustard gas in the first Big One. His highest praise for someone he knew was: "S/he uses people good."

Use people good. That's what's important.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:24 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm very happy to live in a country where people don't much care where, what, or if, someone worships.

Because it's really not important.

What's important is who people are.

My ex-father-in-law was a wonderful, crotchety old guy who lost a lung to mustard gas in the first Big One. His highest praise for someone he knew was: "S/he uses people good."

Use people good. That's what's important.
Love it.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:56 PM

197 posts, read 86,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Mensa, I think that they don't get that it IS a personal question. My faith, my spiritual life, is personal to me, a living ever-changing thing. I couldn't even fully explain to someone else what it is if I tried. No pat little verses or pithy definitions would do it.

I know other people who walk other paths feel this way and that their faith/spirituality is personal to THEM. Unless we mutually agree to discuss it, or aspects of it, it's no one else's business.
I'm surprised about this too. I used to think American society is individualistic; hence, Christians tend to be individuals regardless of their devotion to their faith. I had no idea that American Christianity is a culture itself. Eventually I understand that if I ever step into Tennessee, Georgia, Kansas, Michigan, Ohio,..., I should expect the question "which church do you go to"

If this is just a cultural thing, I don't mind sucking it up a bit, but it does get annoyed after a while. Although I grew up in a collectivist culture, I don't always do something just because it's a tradition. I am thankful that my people don't make the assumption about people's belief. If they are obnoxious like Christians in this country, I don't know how much backlash Vietnamese immigrants will receive from native speakers.

I used to have a classmate from Louisiana asking me which church I went to. Although I gave him the answer about my belief, I thought he was either ignorant about other ethnicity or willfully offensive toward me.

I have an Asian face; I speak English with an accent. I would never blame anyone from the south who drills me with questions about my identity. I prefer my personal space, but I also like sincere people. I'm happy to answer any question so that we can all learn about each other. The problem is that Christians, especially the ones from the bible belts, clearly see that I'm not Caucasian and English is my second language. More over, only 8.2% Vietnamese population are Christians. What makes them think I'm one. Furthermore, as mensaguy mentions, they assume that I am a Baptist. They don't bother to ask me what denomination I belong to, assuming I'm a Christian. Most Vietnamese Christians are Catholics, not Protestants.

Maybe some atheist from the South can give me a satisfying answer. I don't understand the reason. Do Christians truly not know about other non Christian believers? Or do they intend to insult them?

Old 10-26-2017, 07:16 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Maybe some atheist from the South can give me a satisfying answer. I don't understand the reason. Do Christians truly not know about other non Christian believers? Or do they intend to insult them?
I am not from the south, but I have lived there.

I don't think that they do it to be insulting, I think that it is simply more that this aspect of their life has never been examined. Many people cannot imagine not being religious.

When I was a little kid, I remember thinking that English must be the easiest language to learn. After all, everybody thought in English, therefore learning the language would be a simple matter of learning to pronounce it aloud. Meanwhile, for me to learn French, I would have to learn a new word for everything, do the translation in my head from English to French, learn to pronounce it aloud, then say it.

Obviously learning anything other than English was really difficult.

I think religion is the same way for some people, if the culture that surrounds them is religious enough. They are like a 6 year old Fishbrains, in that they cannot imagine not believing in a god. They think in terms of Baptist Christianity, and imagine that people have to translate basic thoughts framed in a baptist manner, into Catholicism, animism, Taoism, whatever.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:53 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
I'm surprised about this too. I used to think American society is individualistic; hence, Christians tend to be individuals regardless of their devotion to their faith. I had no idea that American Christianity is a culture itself. Eventually I understand that if I ever step into Tennessee, Georgia, Kansas, Michigan, Ohio,..., I should expect the question "which church do you go to"

If this is just a cultural thing, I don't mind sucking it up a bit, but it does get annoyed after a while. Although I grew up in a collectivist culture, I don't always do something just because it's a tradition. I am thankful that my people don't make the assumption about people's belief. If they are obnoxious like Christians in this country, I don't know how much backlash Vietnamese immigrants will receive from native speakers.

I used to have a classmate from Louisiana asking me which church I went to. Although I gave him the answer about my belief, I thought he was either ignorant about other ethnicity or willfully offensive toward me.

I have an Asian face; I speak English with an accent. I would never blame anyone from the south who drills me with questions about my identity. I prefer my personal space, but I also like sincere people. I'm happy to answer any question so that we can all learn about each other. The problem is that Christians, especially the ones from the bible belts, clearly see that I'm not Caucasian and English is my second language. More over, only 8.2% Vietnamese population are Christians. What makes them think I'm one. Furthermore, as mensaguy mentions, they assume that I am a Baptist. They don't bother to ask me what denomination I belong to, assuming I'm a Christian. Most Vietnamese Christians are Catholics, not Protestants.

Being an ex-Southern Baptist, I can tell you that a majority don't even recognize the possibility that anyone could believe anything else, particularly the older generations. I was raised in a small southern town in the 60's and 70's and I didn't know of other religions, other than what I perceived were small cults as portrayed on TV. Not going to church was synonymous with Devil-Worship and labeled you a social outcast. We had a few Lutheran and Methodists in town, but they were simply misguided but acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality