Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2008, 08:09 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times

Advertisements

News article

Quote:
The Vatican has reported a further dramatic fall in the number of Roman Catholic monks and nuns worldwide.

Newly published statistics showed that the number of men and women belonging to religious orders fell by 10% to just under a million between 2005 and 2006.

During the pontificate of the late Pope John Paul II, the number of Catholic nuns worldwide declined by a quarter.

The downward trend accelerated despite a steady increase in the membership of the Catholic Church to more than 1.1bn.

However, correspondents say even this failed to keep pace with the overall increase in world population.
A 10% fall in a single year is very dramatic. It might indicate the advancing age of many monks and nuns - they are not being replaced in the same numbers as they previously entered decades ago.

What are the implications for modern Catholicism? As the number of followers actually increases modestly, the number of clergy, monks, and nuns continue to decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
News article

A 10% fall in a single year is very dramatic. It might indicate the advancing age of many monks and nuns - they are not being replaced in the same numbers as they previously entered decades ago.

What are the implications for modern Catholicism? As the number of followers actually increases modestly, the number of clergy, monks, and nuns continue to decline.
Once upon a time there weren't as many options for religious men and women in the church or the secular world. It's a very hard job, many times thankless, and the sacrifices are too many to count. My priest went 10 years to school. Who is ready to give that many years to an education. I know they are importing priests from Africa and other third world countries to fill the void in this country to some extent. I read that there's a group of Australian priests wanting to ban the no wives rule. I suspect many people became priest, nuns, and monks to get a roof over their heads and get 3 meals a day during the depression. I have no proof of that, but I have read that desperate folks would actually break the law so that they could get thrown in jail so that they could get something to eat and get out of the cold. What were the options for women many years ago outside the home where they could make an effect on the world. There weren't many compared to now. Now you can make an impact as a woman without all those sacrifices. Same goes for a man.

This is a sad but serious issue for the Catholic Church and needs to be addressed as soon as possible. In some ways it much like the social security mess in this country. The longer they wait, the more pain it will be to fix it.

Here's a USA article on the dilemma:
USATODAY.com - Church struggles with change

One of the things very relevant that the articles states is the people movment from the historically strong Catholic areas of the Northeast and Midwest to the more predominantly Protestant areas of the South. People like to fit in and church goers weak in their faith will often succumb to that subtle pressure.

Last edited by juj; 02-04-2008 at 08:57 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 03:12 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Another reason why there are fewer nuns is that there is no retirement program for them. I know of several older women who, when they became a "burden" to the community, were sent "home" to a relative's care.

The retirement plan for priests is much more supportive.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:32 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Maybe when Religion succeeds in returning Humanity to the Dark Ages, Priest and Nun will become more attractive career choices.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:51 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Maybe when Religion succeeds in returning Humanity to the Dark Ages, Priest and Nun will become more attractive career choices.
Only one in the dark is you my brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality