Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 02:43 PM

1,333 posts, read 883,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Again, this might be helpful: Why did God command the extermination / genocide of the Canaanites, women and children included?

The Bible does not say the earth is 6000 years old. It could be millions or billions of years old. I could explain why, but I don't have all the time in the world.

I'm sure you will prove your statement. I'll be waiting.
Okay, I'm sure you don't want to get into an argument over God's moral choices.
God also sent two bears to mall 42 children because they called a guy "Baldie"
He killed 70,000 Jews because David took a census and God didn't want it.

Prove why God creating Adam and Eve, and thereby starting humanity isn't a good theory?

Okay, I'm done. I've had enough of this. Continue with someone else.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:46 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
Ah missed this gem....

So you think this is an original concept and a gotcha proposition (e.g. fabrication). Read this one if you are willing to see your argument framed better than you have, and summarily debunked.

Atheism is based on faith - Iron Chariots Wiki
The catch word is "believes". In the article it stated "An Atheist is one who BELIEVES no God exists." He believes in something. He has faith/belief that God does not exist.
In the Greek, both "faith" and "belief" use the same Greek word. So, yes, of course, irrespective of what the article claims to the contrary, an atheist's belief there is no God is faith based.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Okay, I'm sure you don't want to get into an argument over God's moral choices.
God also sent two bears to mall 42 children because they called a guy "Baldie"
He killed 70,000 Jews because David took a census and God didn't want it.

Prove why God creating Adam and Eve, and thereby starting humanity isn't a good theory?

Okay, I'm done. I've had enough of this. Continue with someone else.
Thank you.

The point is that Adam and Eve ate of the knowledge of good and evil. Humanity has to learn this knowledge. Those 42 children will one day be resurrected. They will have learned a valuable lesson that it is wrong, especially under the law, to make fun of God's prophets. They will thank God for all the lessons in life they learned and they will thank God for giving them immortality and incorruption. Same with the 70,000.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:55 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
The catch word is "believes". In the article it stated "An Atheist is one who BELIEVES no God exists." He believes in something. He has faith/belief that God does not exist.
In the Greek, both "faith" and "belief" use the same Greek word. So, yes, of course, irrespective of what the article claims to the contrary, an atheist's belief there is no God is faith based.
As I said before, no matter what the original Greek means, what matters is how we use the term now. It has been said often enough that believing something on the best evidence and believing something on faith and never mind the evidence, is not the same kind of 'belief'.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
As I said before, no matter what the original Greek means, what matters is how we use the term now. It has been said often enough that believing something on the best evidence and believing something on faith and never mind the evidence, is not the same kind of 'belief'.
Thank you for re-defining faith to suit your ideology. You are proving the OP. Congrats.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:08 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,559 times
Quote:
You are still missing it....bolded the part that continually escapes you.

Quote:
The definition of "Atheist" in the argument above is an overly broad straw man: an atheist is one who either lacks positive belief in a god or who believes that no gods exist, not one who claims to know absolutely that no gods exist (see Atheist vs. agnostic).
I'm comfortable owning my belief positions and would own the position that "no gods exist", when using the common descriptions of "gods" of the various world religions. I'm also justified in believing that because there is a lack of positive evidence to any of their claims that "god exists".

But that doesn't mean you have to have that belief position to be an atheist. Simply not believing the claim "god exists" is good enough without any additional baggage.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:19 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
The best question is `how did the universe start from nothing ` , as the only answer science has is God , as they do not know and that is the most logical answer ...See all science thinks it knows is how the universe develops , not how it started

Old 12-30-2015, 04:32 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post

I know this was not directed at me to answer, but I am not sure exactly what you are asking? Perhaps I am wrong, but I know, at least for Judaism and Christianity, there has NEVER been an ideology that some people are "borne of the spirit" and others are not. Anyone who truly seeks God, will find God.

A rabbi once told me that the Jews are not the "Chosen People" in the way that people think. In fact, it was the Jews that chose God, not the other way around. Back in the day, all the pagans and hedonists were running around raping and pillaging and worshiping idols, etc., when God came along and started shopping around the Torah and the only ones willing to give up all that and follow the laws of God were the Jews.

He said it much better than my summary, but still. Where did you learn that a person is either born with the belief of God or not?
Anyone can answer that. The poster brought up borne of the spirit. They came close enough to my fundie upbringing that I thought they may be able to answer something I never could reconcile. They seemed to be dividing people up into categories and then ascribing less desirable traits to those who do not see the world as they do. Almost like people "deserved" something bad happening to them because of some defect in character or thinking. I never could see what I had that the nonbelievers of my group had that would entitle me to great rewards and them everlasting sleep. I am just a regular person and that's all I want to be.

I don't know if the pagans were raping and pillaging anymore than anyone else. Genocide was a favorite tool of the God of the bible and he didn't even bother to include raping in the 10 commandments. He used a good 3 commandments on the proper way to kiss his butt though. Even the pagans believed they were worshipping properly so I don't think it is fair to vilify a whole group of people over improper worship without understanding their motivations.

You did answer the question though. I noticed that difference between my mom and me before. She is a self professed seeker and I am more go with the flow. Stuff happens would never square it with her. She is more concerned with whose fault it is and I am more concerned with how to keep it from happening again. I tend not to ascribe morality to most actions. She is also really bad at math and I think like an economist if that means anything. I am just not wired to seek, problem solve yes, but seek for some higher truth seems like a recipe for disaster to me. It got my mom involved in a cult. Why would God allow that of one of his seekers? So that may be pretty close to the true nature of Godly righteousness. Maybe you just have a desire or drive I do not posses. I am easily contented

Old 12-30-2015, 04:36 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The best question is `how did the universe start from nothing ` , as the only answer science has is God , as they do not know and that is the most logical answer ...See all science thinks it knows is how the universe develops , not how it started
You are using presuppositions which only take 1 mystery and add a gigantic mystery on top of it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_regress

Science doesn't answer "god" to what happened before the big bang. People who cannot accept "we don't know yet" do that.

And guess how many answers we've uncovered by throwing our hands up and proclaiming "goddunnit"?

Old 12-30-2015, 05:17 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
You are using presuppositions which only take 1 mystery and add a gigantic mystery on top of it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_regress

Science doesn't answer "god" to what happened before the big bang. People who cannot accept "we don't know yet" do that.

And guess how many answers we've uncovered by throwing our hands up and proclaiming "goddunnit"?
God delusion folks think they own the conversation with respect to science and any unknowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality