Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 08:05 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Likewise.

All we have is eyewitness accounts and a religion that took over the world. The eyewitnesses were willing to die for what they knew they saw. Only a fool would die for something her or she knew was a lie.
All we have is a REPORT of eyewitness accounts, (like Trump and his report of thousands of Muslims in Jersey City cheering when the Twin Towers fell), and reports of people who died for what they BELIEVED was true (like the Branch Dividians and the Jim Jones followers). This "evidence" wouldn't hold up in a civil court of law.

Last edited by Amaznjohn; 12-29-2015 at 08:28 PM..

Old 12-29-2015, 08:08 PM

23,153 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
All we have is a REPORT of eyewitness accounts, (like Trump and his thousands of Muslims in Jersey City cheering when the Twin Towers fell), and reports of people who died for what they BELIEVED was true (like the Branch Dividians and the Jim Jones followers). This "evidence" wouldn't hold up in a civil court of law.
Trump is the last Trump, God of Money.

I said good day!

Old 12-29-2015, 08:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Yawn and sure. You have never met me. How do you know if my "bravado" is about an assurance in what I know to be true or something else.

I take offense at being called a liar. Why is it that this forum has certain people calling others liars? And I have no intention to report your post, in case you are interested. I accept the reality of this place.
I didn't call you a liar.

I said I didn't believe you.

And good on ya' for being such a sport! I've been called everything in the book on this forum and never reported one. I report spam and that's it. I'm an adult and can handle being called names. I know very many here - Christians all - who cannot say the same about my posts.

I am reported by crybabies all the time.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:41 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I didn't call you a liar.

I said I didn't believe you.
Can you explain the difference between not believing what I said and calling me a liar? Or maybe you meant that I was delusional.

I'd prefer to be diagnosed as a regular guy who is liar rather than a delusional person. Note my user name. I know what delusional is on a professional (now retired )basis. I have a shovel by my side. Hole to be dug or maybe something else?

Old 12-29-2015, 08:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Can you explain the difference between not believing what I said and calling me a liar? Or maybe you meant that I was delusional.

...snip...
That is certainly one possibility.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
All we have is a REPORT of eyewitness accounts, (like Trump and his report of thousands of Muslims in Jersey City cheering when the Twin Towers fell), and reports of people who died for what they BELIEVED was true (like the Branch Dividians and the Jim Jones followers). This "evidence" wouldn't hold up in a civil court of law.
Now what is interesting is that the eyewitness testimony of the 500+ witnesses WOULD hold up in a court of law. Even the 12 of the disciples and a few others as cited in the Gospels.

Trump has his opinion (wrong). The folk cited in the NT is quite another matter. Just cuz they are dead doesn't negate what they testified to 1970 years ago.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
That is certainly one possibility.
By definition, mental illness is having beliefs and behaviors that differs from most people. Being as 97% of all people know that the spiritual is real it is an easy argument to say that those who think otherwise may have a few loose screws. That is a basic premise of psychology. Yet in our democratic country we are not locking up said people. But only since they seem to be behaving themselves are not trouble makers.

So please...

Old 12-29-2015, 09:12 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Nope. The burden of proof is on the positive claim. And atheists don't even claim there is no god. We highly doubt there's a god, and see no reason to believe there's one. Big difference. It's not a knowledge claim.
"There is no god" is a verbal shorthand that is best avoided to avoid "gotcha" attempts from people without a nuanced understanding of the actual claims being made. It's a belief claim, not a knowledge claim.
Yes it's correct that an invisible personal deity cannot be falsified and therefore not proven.
You may think you have advanced sound evidence and logic in argument for your assumption of god but I have yet to hear a shred of same.
I assume nothing absent evidence or logical argument. The correct default is to withhold belief unless it is justified.
Finally, no one is talking about stuff happening by random chance. There are natural processes at work, some that we understand well, some not so much. Try to keep up.
If you can't handle uncertainty or ignorance and need to make things up to cover for it, be my guest.
You mislead, mordant. In order to justify a claim that there is NO reason to believe there is a God, you have to disregard the whole of reality. You have NO explanation for it whatsoever and you have no idea WHAT it is or WHY it is. But it is some Source immensely powerful, ubiquitous, controlling and creative and it is responsible for EVERYTHING. It doesn't get more God-like than that, yet you INSIST that whatever it is, it is NOT God.

From such an untenable position of ignorance, you are demanding the default. That is the positive claim, rejecting and denying the maximum evidence that exists. Your attempts at sophistry and semantic jiggering using "belief claim" and "knowledge claim" is pathetic. Face it, the people operating from ignorance but pretending they are not are the atheists, mordant.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:20 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
By definition, mental illness is having beliefs and behaviors that differs from most people. Being as 97% of all people know that the spiritual is real it is an easy argument to say that those who think otherwise may have a few loose screws. That is a basic premise of psychology. Yet in our democratic country we are not locking up said people.
There are those stats again. I guess you uped the percentage 2 points to include pantheists or something. Surely you can back up a stat (prove it) I didn't know that was the definition of mental illness or the premise of psychology. hmm

Old 12-29-2015, 09:32 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Now what is interesting is that the eyewitness testimony of the 500+ witnesses WOULD hold up in a court of law. Even the 12 of the disciples and a few others as cited in the Gospels.

Trump has his opinion (wrong). The folk cited in the NT is quite another matter. Just cuz they are dead doesn't negate what they testified to 1970 years ago.
The Gospels don't all tell the same account of the resurrection. I found a great article that lays some of them out but then goes on to defend the differences. You decide.

http://www.compellingtruth.org/resur...-accounts.html

Number of women at the tomb:
- Matthew – 2
- Mark – 3
- Luke – 5
- John – 1

Time of visit to the tomb:
- Matthew – Dawn
- Mark – Sun had risen
- Luke – Dawn
- John – Still dark

Messengers at the tomb:
- Matthew – One angel
- Mark – Men
- Luke – Men
- John – Two angels

Location of the messengers relative to the tomb:
- Matthew – Outside then inside
- Mark – Inside
- Luke – Inside
- John – Inside

Woman/women's encounter with Jesus:
- Matthew – Held Christ
- Mark – Nothing
- Luke – Nothing
- John – Told not to touch Christ

Whom the woman/women told:
- Matthew – Disciples
- Mark – No one
- Luke – Disciples and others
- John – Only Mary Magdalene told the disciples

Location of the appearance to the disciples:
- Matthew – Galilee
- Mark – Jerusalem
- Luke – Jerusalem
- John – Jerusalem

Another task is to attempt a layout of when Jesus appeared to people and where:

- Appearance to Mary Magdalene on Sunday in Jerusalem (Mark 16:9-11; John 20:11-18)
- Appearance to other women on Sunday in Jerusalem (Matthew 28:9-10)
- Appearance to Peter on Sunday in Jerusalem (Luke 24:32; 1 Corinthians 15:5)
- Appearance to Emmaus disciples on Sunday in Emmaus (Luke 24:13-35; Mark 16:12)
- Appearance to 10 disciples (The Eleven minus Thomas) on Sunday in Jerusalem (Mark 16:14; Luke 24:26-42; John 20:19-25)
- Appearance to The Eleven eight days after the Resurrection in Jerusalem (John 20:26-31; 1 Corinthians 15:5)
- Appearance to 7 disciples in Galilee (John 21:1-25)
- Appearance to 500 brethren in Galilee (1 Corinthians 15:6)
- Appearance to James (1 Corinthians 15:7)
- Appearance to The Eleven in Galilee (Matthew 28:16-20; Mark 16:15-18)
- Appearance to The Eleven forty days after the Resurrection in Jerusalem (Acts 1:3-12)

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 12-29-2015 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: oops forgot to include my SOURCE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality