Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would be the reaction if Muslims had done them
It would be considered Islamic terrorism. 22 66.67%
It would be ignored. 0 0%
The story would not make national news. 4 12.12%
None of the above. 7 21.21%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 12:48 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times

Advertisements

Three News stories and not one is called terrorism.

Impressive Arsenal Found in Car Outside Mass. Stadium

Alaska Man Crashes Plane Into Wife's Workplace

Cliven Bundy Son, Militia Take Over Fed Building

What would be the reaction if they were done by Muslims?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 01:12 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,546 times
That's because presuppositionalists in the US don't just presuppose of a god of some sort. They presuppose their Christian god.

So they believe your religion, or lack thereof, are highly relevant to whether you are a terrorist or simply lost your way.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:16 PM

Good answer. I believe you nailed it right on.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:28 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,306,545 times
Those news stories are the acts of mentally ill people working alone. They did not have access to other crazies and form elaborate plans. When that shooting happened in California there was hesitation at first declaring it Islamic terrorism until it was proven it was. I see what you are saying though.

What I find fascinating is all the horrible things that happen because someone claims the Christian god as the true God and then goes on to abuse people in that name. When are Americans going to attribute that to Christianity the way they do terrorism to Islam? It is usually just the extremist right that make the distinction about Islam though while protecting Christianity. It does seem that many people are able to see past extremism both in Christianity and Islam and still pronounce the ideology acceptable. I don't know if that really helping solve the problem. Both ideologies are deeply flawed in the same way in my opinion. When believers say "that's not true Christianity" or "that's not what Islam is": yes it is.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:53 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times
No one can support those that choose to break the law, especially if they choose to do that armed.

Lobby, get laws changed, go to court and challenge them, petition, get the public onside. No problem.

Occupy public land armed? It's a problem. I don't care if you're white, black, atheist, Christian, Muslim, native or insane.

Should the government reaction be to attempt to end it peacefully? Of course. We don't need martyrs. But we do need respect for laws, and cannot let a bunch of self proclaimed 'patriots' supersede laws.

They need to be arrested, and put to trail. This does fall under terrorist laws in the US.

Now, one point needs to be made. They are not doing this in the name of a religions. Regardless, it is illegal as all get out.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:59 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,006,521 times
I do not see any of these incidents have anything to do with any religion, Christian, or otherwise , and if the Muslim is responsible then only in the UK media will report it came from a Muslim right off the bat , not in America were most will not report the motive ..... Then if a Muslim commits terrorism , They are not a true Muslim , just a true for Christians who may commit terrorism then they are not true Christian, as terrorism is barbaric cowardly and evil of satan

Old 01-03-2016, 02:45 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,891,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

If they were done by Muslims, I would initially consider them to be Islamic terrorist acts.

If the people who caused these incidents later seemed to not be motivated by their Islamic beliefs, then I would just call them terrorist acts. But if they ran around yelling "Allah Akbar" or some other nonsense like that, then I would definitely call them Islamic terrorist acts.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
If they were done by Muslims, I would initially consider them to be Islamic terrorist acts.

If the people who caused these incidents later seemed to not be motivated by their Islamic beliefs, then I would just call them terrorist acts. But if they ran around yelling "Allah Akbar" or some other nonsense like that, then I would definitely call them Islamic terrorist acts.
Nobody heard the 2 Boston Marathon terrorists holler "Allahu Akbar" Nobody heard Maj Hasan holler "Allahu Akbar".

While I agree the Boston Brothers were acting either for a radical group or wanted to be part of such a group I have doubts Hasan was acting out of a religious reason. He was being deployed to Afghanistan, an assignment he had petitioned to be removed from. The guy snapped like many GIs do when they are being sent to a combat zone. My own feeling is he wanted to be killed and he never expected to be taken alive, sort of a military version of suicide by cop.

the point is not every Terrorist is going to holler Allahu Akbar, even if they are Muslim. Those that do so have it as part of their agenda they want to be known as being Muslims. Anyhow I still find it weird that almost always there is a witness that hears a terrorist holler "Allah Akbar"never "Bismillah" (In the name of Allah) or Astagfirullah"(Allah forgive me if I am in error)

Old 01-03-2016, 03:46 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

We all know how mainstream America would react...When these acts are carried out by "mainstream" America all is good...SAD....

Old 01-03-2016, 03:49 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,099,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
That's because presuppositionalists in the US don't just presuppose of a god of some sort. They presuppose their Christian god.

So they believe your religion, or lack thereof, are highly relevant to whether you are a terrorist or simply lost your way.
This is brilliantly precise and succinct.

And ever so woefully true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality