Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 04:43 PM

16 posts, read 14,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
But... but... fear believes!!

What's so scary about Robert G. Ingersoll? Please confide your fears to me and I'll try to help you thru them.

(Hi! )

It's his writing style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 04:44 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunts View Post
You're on the inside looking out CG81 It would e a little hard for you to see the truth of this statement. Check out the example below. Hope you can see the point.

Sorry, all i can see are two little red x's. (remember, its microsoft, not hp!)

Old 02-05-2008, 04:46 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
i wAs goWinG tO rIghdt a rEEpli buTT fiNgeRed oUt i aM joUst a sTooPid CrIsTiAn aNd nOt A tHinqer.

soWwry.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:49 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,337,535 times
Hey.
I wanna play too

"Everything science has taught me---and continues to teach me---strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace."

[SIZE=1] Von Braun[/SIZE] (broken link)

It is the best gift God has given to men. All the good Savior gave to the world was communicated through this book. But for it we could not know right from wrong."
Author:[SIZE=1]Abraham Lincoln[/SIZE] (broken link)

"If I were asked today to formulate as concisely as possible that main cause of the ruinous revolution that swallowed up some 60 million of our people, I could not put it more accurately than to repeat: 'Men had forgotten God; that is why all this has happened.'"
Author:[SIZE=1]Alexander Solzhenitsyn[/SIZE] (broken link)

"I never was without without some religious principles. I never doubted, for instance, the existence of the Deity; that He made the world, and governed it by His Providence; that the most acceptable service of God was the doing good to man; that our souls are immortal; and that all crime will be punished, and virtue rewarded, either here or hereafter."
Author:[SIZE=1]Benjamin Franklin[/SIZE] (broken link)

"If God does not exist, everything is permissible."
Author:[SIZE=1]Fyodor Dostoevsky[/SIZE] (broken link)

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to emplore His protection and favor."
Author:[SIZE=1]George Washington[/SIZE] (broken link)

"My memory is nearly gone; but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner,and that Christ is a greatSaviour."
Author:[SIZE=1]Isaac Newton[/SIZE] (broken link)

Old 02-05-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
You're on the inside looking out CG81 It would e a little hard for you to see the truth of this statement.
And therein lies the rub. Do you think that as someone on the outside looking in, you can see what I can see on the inside looking out?

Old 02-05-2008, 04:55 PM

Formerly, when religion was strong and science weak, men mistook magic for medicine; now, when science is strong and religion weak, men mistake medicine for magic.

[Thomas Szasz]

Freethinkers reject faith as a valid tool of knowledge. Faith is the opposite of reason because reason imposes very strict limits on what can be true, and faith has no limits at all. A Great Escape into faith is no retreat to safety. It is nothing less than surrender.

[Dan Barker, Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist (Madison, WI: FFRF, 1992), p. 103.]

God has always been hard on the poor.

[Jean Paul Marat (1743-1793)]

God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh.

[Voltaire]

God says do what you wish, but make the wrong choice and you will be tortured for eternity in hell. That sir, is not free will. It would be akin to a man telling his girlfriend, do what you wish, but if you choose to leave me, I will track you down and blow your brains out. When a man says this we call him a psychopath and cry out for his imprisonment/execution. When god says the same we call him "loving" and build churches in his honor.

[William C. Easttom II, skeptic@icon.net]

God tells Adam and Eve not to eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. If this was the only way they could understand the difference between good and evil, how could they have known that it was wrong to disobey god and eat the fruit?

[Laurie Lynn (sechum-l secular humanist discussion list)]

God, we know you are in charge, but why don't you make it slightly more obvious?

[Archbishop Desmond Tutu, 1990, address to students at at West Point]

Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense.

[Chapman Cohen]

Heaven: The Coney Island of the Christian imagination.

[Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915) American author, editor, publisher]

How can the Church be received as a trustworthy guide in the invisible, which falls into so many errors in the visible?

[John W. Draper (1811-1882), U.S. chemist]

I agree that God moves in mysterious ways. He's been eluding me from the very start.

[C. Spellman]

I am an agnostic; I do not pretend to know what many ignorant men are sure of.

[Clarence Darrow]

I am surrounded by priests who repeat incessantly that their kingdom is not of this world, and yet they lay their hands on everything they can get.

[Napoleon Bonaparte]

I assert most unhesitatingly, that the religion of the South is a mere covering for the most horrid crimes— a justifier of the most appalling barbarity, a sanctifier of the most hateful frauds, and a dark shelter under which the darkest, foulest, grossest, and most infernal deeds of slaveholders find the strongest protection. Were I to be again reduced to the chains of slavery, next to that enslavement, I should regard being the slave of a religious master the greatest calamity that could befall me. . . I. . . hate the corrupt, slaveholding, women-whipping, cradle-plundering, partial and hypocritical Christianity of this land.

[Frederick Douglass (After the Escape)]

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.

[Susan B. Anthony]

I let my mind wander and it didn't come back.

Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

I must confess that my disdain for the Christian religion stems not from my upbringing in it, but rather my first real hard look into it from a more enlightened perch.

[Gershwin Hagenstoudt 1930 (German Scholar)]

Old 02-05-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Hey.
I wanna play too

"Everything science has taught me---and continues to teach me---strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace."

[SIZE=1] Von Braun[/SIZE] (broken link)

It is the best gift God has given to men. All the good Savior gave to the world was communicated through this book. But for it we could not know right from wrong."
Author:[SIZE=1]Abraham Lincoln[/SIZE] (broken link)

"If I were asked today to formulate as concisely as possible that main cause of the ruinous revolution that swallowed up some 60 million of our people, I could not put it more accurately than to repeat: 'Men had forgotten God; that is why all this has happened.'"
Author:[SIZE=1]Alexander Solzhenitsyn[/SIZE] (broken link)

"I never was without without some religious principles. I never doubted, for instance, the existence of the Deity; that He made the world, and governed it by His Providence; that the most acceptable service of God was the doing good to man; that our souls are immortal; and that all crime will be punished, and virtue rewarded, either here or hereafter."
Author:[SIZE=1]Benjamin Franklin[/SIZE] (broken link)

"If God does not exist, everything is permissible."
Author:[SIZE=1]Fyodor Dostoevsky[/SIZE] (broken link)

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to emplore His protection and favor."
Author:[SIZE=1]George Washington[/SIZE] (broken link)

"My memory is nearly gone; but I remember two things: That I am a great sinner,and that Christ is a greatSaviour."
Author:[SIZE=1]Isaac Newton[/SIZE] (broken link)

Oakback, you're a heathen now? LOL

Old 02-05-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Freethinkers reject faith as a valid tool of knowledge. Faith is the opposite of reason because reason imposes very strict limits on what can be true, and faith has no limits at all. A Great Escape into faith is no retreat to safety. It is nothing less than surrender.

[Dan Barker, Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist (Madison, WI: FFRF, 1992), p. 103.]
"Faith" often gets bad-mouthed, but you have just as much faith as me. Someone without faith wouldn't be able to function normally. For instance, you have faith that Dan Barker wrote those sentences.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
And therein lies the rub. Do you think that as someone on the outside looking in, you can see what I can see on the inside looking out?
Think about it, cg81, isn't that how life is. People on the outside can generally see what you cannot see?

Old 02-05-2008, 05:20 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Think about it, cg81, isn't that how life is. People on the outside can generally see what you cannot see?
Nor understand what those on the inside do.

oH weIgHt, i foUrgOt i aM nOt pOsEd tWo thiNk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality