Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 06:05 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,439,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly blogger View Post
kWhich god? The God of your choice. As long as you don't believe that man is omnipotent!
I don't believe man is omnipotent. I just don't see if I believe in Thor as my omnipotent savior what good that is going to do me. You said I can believe in a god of my choice, right? I pick Thor. Now, explain to me how I am better off than I was before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 06:23 AM

474 posts, read 600,392 times
GCStroop: I suppose your answer could addres the insufficiencies in my answer, but there is a higher power, scientifically described in different terms, but we need a name for that mysterious power that keeps on surfacing in our lives. God seems soul satisfying. Now I know you can't see our "souls" but sometimes, we respond to life's situations with a "passion" that seems to come from somewhere. My daighter is a nurse. When she was in training, in her surgical stint, she related an instance that occurred in surgery. The patient was wheeled in, anestetized and as had happened many times, the surgical team opened the hand of the patient and discovered embedded in her palm, a religious medal. the lead surgeon said to the student nurses, "See this medal? This woman has hope...I would rather do major surgery on a patient with hope than minor surgery on a patient without hope." Call the hope what you will, but God is easiest to say. When I think of all the things that happened over the years in my own life, I know I could not have made it without Him.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:45 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,262,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunts View Post
Think about it, cg81, isn't that how life is. People on the outside can generally see what you cannot see?
It's the other way around, Skunts. I've been on the outside, and I could not see what I see now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
I find it funny that I'm not a thinker.. yet you quoted about 30 different other people.. not one quote from you.

Here is my quote..

Quoting others is easier than producing something worthwhile yourself.

bigthirsty
I like your quote, bt! Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
Faith is the belief in the supernatural, and to a lesser extent, the belief in someone or something without proof or evidence pointing towards the conclusion you reach.
I disagree with your definition, altho this may be subject for another thread. Belief in the supernatural is only a small part of faith. People need faith to live a normal existence. For instance, faith that when you turn the key the car will start. If I had no faith in this, someone else would have to start my car every morning.

Belief in someone or something without proof or evidence is never called faith. Faith is acting upon the evidence that you have and that you trust, whatever it is.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:47 AM

16 posts, read 14,101 times
Faith, indeed, has up to the present not been able to move real mountains… But it can put mountains where there are none.

[Nietzche, Human, All Too Human - 1879]

FAITH, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel.

[Ambrose Bierce (The Devil's Dictionary)]

George Bush was not elected by a majority of the voters in the United States. He was appointed by God.

[Lt. Gen. William Boykin, the defense undersecretary in charge of hunting down top terrorists in Iraq and Afghanistan]

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish.

[Timothy Jones]

If Christ, in fact, said "I came not to bring peace but a sword," it is the only prophecy in the New Testament that has been literally fulfilled.

[Robert G. Ingersoll]

If God is love, and if God is also omnipresent, then the Devil cannot exist. If the Devil exists, God cannot be love and also be omnipresent. Yet, an omnipresent God of love and the Devil are both said to exist. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure that there is something wrong here!

[Rev. Donald Morgan, Atheologian]

If god wanted people to believe in him, why'd he invent logic then?

[David Feherty, PGA Tour golfer]

If God were suddenly condemned to live the life which he has inflicted upon men, He would kill himself.

[Alexander Dumas]

If he [god] is wise, why did he not compose a coherent account of what he wanted mankind to do? No, the Bible is not such an account; nobody can agree in what it says. The very god who, according to those who believe in him, made every last electron spin in its orbit everywhere throughout the universe, still cannot write a clear, unmistakable volume of instructions to human beings who are supposed to follow his wishes, Instead, he allegedly gives us the Bible or Koran, or some other jumble of ridiculous and ancient superstitions…

[Fred Woodworth]

If I do not return to the pulpit this weekend, millions of people will go to hell.

[Jimmy Swaggart, 5/20/88]

If man had no knowledge except what he has got out of the Bible he would not know enough to make a shoe.

[Lemuel K. Washburn, Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other Essays]

If priests had not been fond of mutton, lambs never would have been sacrified to god. Nothing was ever carried to the temple that the priest could not use, and it always happened that god wanted what his agents liked.

[Robert G. Ingersoll]

If the answers to prayer are merely what God wills all along, then why pray?

[Dan Barker, Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist (Madison, WI:

FFRF, 1992), p. 108.]

Old 02-06-2008, 08:08 AM

16 posts, read 14,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
Belief in someone or something without proof or evidence is never called faith. Faith is acting upon the evidence that you have and that you trust, whatever it is.
You're definition goes contrary to the Bible you read on a technical note.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. - Hebrews 11:1

It says NOTHING about 'acting upon.' It simply says it IS the actual 'evidence' of things you cannot see and the actuality of things one hopes for though by process, if one actually expresses faith in a boogeyman in a closet, he will 'act' upon the fear of one and take necessary precaution.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
You're definition goes contrary to the Bible you read on a technical note.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. - Hebrews 11:1

It says NOTHING about 'acting upon.' It simply says it IS the actual 'evidence' of things you cannot see and the actuality of things one hopes for though by process, if one actually expresses faith in a boogeyman in a closet, he will 'act' upon the fear of one and take necessary precaution.
James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

Faith that is not acted upon is dead faith.

Also, faith is much more than just "thinking" or "believing". It is also "submitting" and "yielding". (Or, it would produce those works.. they are so tied together, it's hard to separate them.) So, in order to submit or yield, I must be acting upon the call of God... an outside influence which I do not make up in my mind. That is substance.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:48 PM

552 posts, read 1,071,729 times
Quote:
I disagree with your definition, altho this may be subject for another thread. Belief in the supernatural is only a small part of faith. People need faith to live a normal existence. For instance, faith that when you turn the key the car will start. If I had no faith in this, someone else would have to start my car every morning.

My definition is from the dictionary, which tends to be correct on these sort of things.

I don't need faith that my car will start in the morning. If my car starts every morning, I can trust that it'll start again, going by what I already know.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
If my car starts every morning, I can trust that it'll start again, going by what I already know.
And that's how my faith in God works.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:09 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,312,385 times
Quote:
Oakback, you're a heathen now? LOL

Call me anything you want.

Just don't call me late for dinner.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:36 PM

245 posts, read 624,669 times
Quote:
And that's how my faith in God works.
it is inevitable that one day it will not start
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality