Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times

Advertisements

This weekend I visited my hometown of Memphis, Tennessee. After not living there since 1979, and only visiting a few times since then, it is striking today to see the large number of churches present everywhere in the city.

Another thing that was striking to me as I spoke to people I have known from long in the past, including grown folks in my own extended family, is how often those persons change churches, even change denominations, such as from Southern Baptist to Presbyterian and back. This comes across like they are actually "consumers" of their churches and church experiences, like showing no "brand loyalty" to their family car.

What level of doctrinal knowledge can be present in these people for them to so regularly change their church membership? Is this a symptom of the trivialization of religious belief and practice in the South, in America in general? In the suburbs of American cities, is church membership merely a lifestyle (consumerist) choice rather than a conscious and sober religious practice?

Last edited by ParkTwain; 02-11-2008 at 10:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 10:51 PM

18 posts, read 34,213 times
i think it can be a lot of different things. In my case, my family is a few different denominations, and in some cases, different religions. My grandmother was raised catholic, my brother is a non practicing Muslim, my sister is a former Muslim, who married a former Mormon, my mother is god knows what, and i recently found out that apparently i was christened as a baby, but alas... i have no idea what denomination of Christianity it was in.
So for me it's pretty much a not knowing thing. I grew up in the exact situation you are referring to. We switched churches every time we moved, or whenever my aunt was tired of the church we were at. To this day I still don't know what denomination they practice, and I've given up on figuring it out, I just don't bother with church anymore. I've kind of given up on religion in America, because it is more or less commercialized, like almost everything in our society

Old 02-12-2008, 07:53 AM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
This weekend I visited my hometown of Memphis, Tennessee. After not living there since 1979, and only visiting a few times since then, it is striking today to see the large number of churches present everywhere in the city.

Another thing that was striking to me as I spoke to people I have known from long in the past, including grown folks in my own extended family, is how often those persons change churches, even change denominations, such as from Southern Baptist to Presbyterian and back. This comes across like they are actually "consumers" of their churches and church experiences, like showing no "brand loyalty" to their family car.

What level of doctrinal knowledge can be present in these people for them to so regularly change their church membership? Is this a symptom of the trivialization of religious belief and practice in the South, in America in general? In the suburbs of American cities, is church membership merely a lifestyle (consumerist) choice rather than a conscious and sober religious practice?
Unfortunately, for far too many, it is simply a lifestyle choice IMO and not the life-changing choice it is truly designed to be. There are some who just go through the motions, just following the leader. It would be too easy to say they had little knowledge and that's why they keep switching, but that could be wrong. It could be the opposite. They could have a better understanding than the church they attend so they want to go somewhere else that's speaking truth or more challenging. There could be any number of reasons why people keep changing churches.

I as a Christian already see how those claiming the name don't necessarily live the life. I won't say it's necessarily trivialization, but I think it's a symptom of a deeper problem. Knowledge of and strength in one's faith is a big chunk that is missing in some people's lives and it's not being filled by some of today's churches.

My personal opinion is the further churches get away from the authority of God's word, the weaker the Christians they will produce. The weaker the Christian, the more apt they are to be tossed to and fro by man's doctrines and have itchy ears. They won't stand for or tolerate sound teaching, so they just hop somewhere they feel more comfortable.

I personally have only been involved with three churches... the first where Jesus found me. Left it because they strayed from the Word; the second where I recommitted my life to Him and my family also dedicated their lives to Him. Left it because they strayed from the Word; the third is my current church where I've been renewed. But, they're all Baptist churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality