Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 07:46 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well most fiction writers don't try to pass off their work as actual history. The authors of the Bible did so at risk of their life. Especially by including a detail bloodline genealogy for Christ that could have been easily explosed as fraud by their Jewish peers. I find it highly improbable that they would go to such lengths just for some notoriety. Also they would have to have some kind of in depth inside access to ancient cultures to provide details like the story of Joseph which gives us a look at Pharaoh and his court.

If you are going to go this route then you basically have to regard ALL recorded history in this time period as a possible work of fiction.

1. Contains real names and places - not good enough
2. Archaeology backs up the stories - not good enough
3. External sources support the stories - not good enough

Well congratulations, you just managed to disqualify every possible means available to validate ancient history when it comes to the Bible.
Jeff, you can also write a fictional story that takes place during the lifetime of Thomas Jefferson, the story would include real people, true geographical locations, and details of documented events, yet it is still a work of fiction. The Bible stories, are just stories written by men, no different than other works of fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 08:40 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Jeff, you can also write a fictional story that takes place during the lifetime of Thomas Jefferson, the story would include real people, true geographical locations, and details of documented events, yet it is still a work of fiction. The Bible stories, are just stories written by men, no different than other works of fiction.
That.

Jeff's fallacious reasoning is so common that it's actually been given a name: the Spider Man Fallacy. The Spider Man Fallacy states that Spider Man is real because real places (like New York City) are mentioned in the Spider Man comics and movies.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:53 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post

Ok, let's say I do that, and I claim it is actual history. How would you prove that I'm wrong?
You have no prove at all that the Bible is a work of fiction.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:54 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That.

Jeff's fallacious reasoning is so common that it's actually been given a name: the Spider Man Fallacy. The Spider Man Fallacy states that Spider Man is real because real places (like New York City) are mentioned in the Spider Man comics and movies.
Well should work for believers too, after all Spider Man does have those indisputable super powers.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:55 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That.

The Spider-man fallacy fails because one can easily find clear evidence that Spiderman was a product of Stan Lee's imagination. One can not find clear evidence that the Bible stories are products of the authors imaginations. My original point stands. Fiction writers typically DO NOT present their works as anything other than a work of fiction.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:09 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
The Spider-man fallacy fails because one can easily find clear evidence that Spiderman was a product of Stan Lee's imagination.
Prove that Spider Man was a product of Stan Lee's imagination.

Quote:
One can not find clear evidence that the Bible stories are products of the authors imaginations. My original point stands. Fiction writers typically DO NOT present their works as anything other than a work of fiction.
So by that logic, you accept both the Quran and Book of Mormon too. Both books claim to be True Revelations from a god to mankind. They are not presented as works of fiction.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:29 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
The Spider-man fallacy fails because one can easily find clear evidence that Spiderman was a product of Stan Lee's imagination. One can not find clear evidence that the Bible stories are products of the authors imaginations. My original point stands. Fiction writers typically DO NOT present their works as anything other than a work of fiction.

The character was created by writer-editor Stan Lee and writer-artist Steve Ditko, and first appeared in the anthology comic book Amazing Fantasy #15 (Aug. 1962) in the Silver Age of Comic Books. -https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man

Old 02-03-2016, 09:48 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
I believe God and the Scriptures are reliable. Just because you don't believe so doesn't make it so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...and just because you believe they are doesn't make it so.
In my case, it does make it so.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
How about you establish that Jesus Christ never lived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
See post 483. This is however enough lack of evidence for such a character to lead us to strongly suspect that he did not.
Sorry but post 483 does not establish that Jesus Christ never lived. Now get cracking and bring forth your proof!

Old 02-03-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Well most fiction writers don't try to pass off their work as actual history. The authors of the Bible did so at risk of their life. Especially by including a detail bloodline genealogy for Christ that could have been easily explosed as fraud by their Jewish peers. I find it highly improbable that they would go to such lengths just for some notoriety. Also they would have to have some kind of in depth inside access to ancient cultures to provide details like the story of Joseph which gives us a look at Pharaoh and his court.

If you are going to go this route then you basically have to regard ALL recorded history in this time period as a possible work of fiction.

1. Contains real names and places - not good enough
2. Archaeology backs up the stories - not good enough
3. External sources support the stories - not good enough

Well congratulations, you just managed to disqualify every possible means available to validate ancient history when it comes to the Bible.
Good post jeffbase. The problem, as least as I perceive it and I could be right, is that these people you and I have been trying to help are blind and deaf to God and Christ. I don't say that to put them down or life us up. It just is what it is without any bias involved or animosity. There comes a time when one should shake the dust off the sandals so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality