Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 07:56 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You must not be hip to my views....if you think I believe the Religious need protection from non-believers.
HaHaHaHaHaHaHa! Yeah...and hawks need protection from mice!

You say you are worried about a Religious persecution in the U.S....so you focus on Christians, and not the Muslims. That you "would take a stand" if the Muslims did things in this Country.
You must not have heard about 11 September, 2001. Check it out, and educate yourself.
Better get to "taking a stand".
But we will never see that. To do that would require risk, and bravery in the face of that risk. Most forums probably wouldn't even let you do it...they wouldn't want to end up like C. Hebdo.
Easy to call the Christian Deity every mocking name that can be thought of...refer to their Prophet as "Zombie Jesus" and insult him too...and refer to their Holy Book as the "Buy Bull"...cuz you know you incur no real risk doing so.
Let's see you do the same...with the hundreds of thousands of posts exchanged over the course of years...about the theology the 9/11 attackers used as the basis for their actions.
Well, considering a large majority of your posts are defending Christians and the religious, one wonders WHY you do such things if you think they don't need your "protection". So why do you do it? Why waste your time helping out the "hawks".

Yes, an event that happened 14 1/2 years ago is not a reason to take up arms today, or go to Afghanistan and preach to Muslims. I was 14 when that happened (Sitting in my Freshman English class when a teacher ran in and told my teacher to turn the TV on. What a crazy day, even in TN). In other words, not old enough to do anything about it. As I said in my previous post, I tried to join the Air Force, but failed the physical due to the fact that I don't have 100% use of my right arm anymore after a particularly bad shoulder injury.

You still don't understand, or you are pretending not to, why Christians are focused on. That's fine. You can stay in your bubble and act like they are the poor ole persecuted if you want. That's a YOU issue.

Start a thread about Islam here in the R&S forum, and I will gladly tell you my thoughts on their theology and actions. Until then, it is quite irrelevant.

On another note, I don't believe I have ever said anything about "Zombie Jesus" or "Buy Bull" or anything of the sort. So maybe you are thinking of someone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Wow, I'm going to make sure and bookmark this point where you admit that ridicule is perfectly acceptable. I seriously doubt that if I dared ridicule you and your close minded beliefs then you would say that was valid.
Ridicule is a sign of immaurity, an inability to have a respect for a difference of opinion.

Nothing you have said here has changed my mind one bit. Human beings are not animals. And if you think we are then I stand by my earlier point. If you kill insects, you are a murderer.

I place humans in the human category. No other animal lives life the way we do. We create art, poetry, music, change our environment.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Nozz, I'm going to stop you at the very first statement. Because it's a terrible lie. And if you can't be trusted to make sense about something small, why bother with the rest?

You can't choose what to believe? That's garbage. You weren't born a Buddhist or Hindu. Well, maybe a Jew, but supposing you left the country at a young age as any other. You could learn different patterns of thought. This is lazy fatalism at best. I grew up Christian. I learned about Taoism at age 14. A minority religion from China. Explain to me how you can't choose what you believe? You can choose what you believe every day. Or you can remain stuck in an idea that your life is genes, avoid all thought and responsibility. It's a copout.

And before you even snarky response about the rest of the quote, which I didn't even bother to read, I think I'll tell you about my religion choices. I grew up Christian. I discovered taoism. I discovered other religions. I could have chosen Christian and seen all those as false teachings, I could have become atheist deciding these others were "proof" that our religion isn't the right one, so religion must be meaningless (or something). I could have decided science classes were a disproof of theism, or that theism was a disproof of science. I didn't. Because that's lazy thinking. I took what I learned, analyzed it with the other stuff, and came up with my own beliefs, which are constantly changing.

Go back to the drawing board.
Wrong. 100% wrong.

You honestly think you could just choose to believe anything you want? Could you just decide, right now, to believe in Bigfoot? Aliens? Thor? Krishna? The FSM? And I mean REALLY believe it, not just say you do?

Give me a break, bulma. If you analyze all the evidence and think it is not lacking, then good for you. We analyze the same evidence and find it lacking. We can't just choose to ignore that. Maybe you can, and maybe other believers can, but thinking men can not JUST BELIEVE something because they want to.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:26 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Wrong. 100% wrong.

You honestly think you could just choose to believe anything you want? Could you just decide, right now, to believe in Bigfoot? Aliens? Thor? Krishna? The FSM? And I mean REALLY believe it, not just say you do?

Give me a break, bulma. If you analyze all the evidence and think it is not lacking, then good for you. We analyze the same evidence and find it lacking. We can't just choose to ignore that. Maybe you can, and maybe other believers can, but thinking men can not JUST BELIEVE something because they want to.
No evidence for God would ever satisfy you. How can you convince someone that God exists when they NEED God to not exist?

Old 02-10-2016, 08:29 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,372,988 times
Quote:
No evidence for God would ever satisfy you. How can you convince someone that God exists when they NEED God to not exist?
That is just the narrative you have erected in your own head. It is wrong on many counts but two main ones above the rest:

1) The majority of atheists do not appear to have any investment in there being no god. They just do not believe there is one. It is not that they need, or even want, there to be no god.

2) You can not declare that no evidence will satisfy when you have never actually offered ANY. Not just very little. NONE. You have offered none. So you have no basis to declare what will, or will not, satisfy. You are merely using a narrative of "It will never satisfy" as a cop out excuse from admitting you have no evidence to actually offer.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:30 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
No evidence for Giant Space Crabs would ever satisfy you. How can you convince someone that Giant Space Crabs exist when they NEED Giant Space Crabs to not exist?

Old 02-10-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Wrong. 100% wrong.

There is plenty of evidence that would convince me of his existence. It just isn't the "evidence" that you provide (which is none), or the Bible. Just because I require more concrete evidence to believe in something doesn't mean there is no way I would ever believe it. God, to me, is like Bigfoot. There are a bunch of people who claim all sorts of things about them, yet they never have any actual proof.

You see Jeff, it isn't me who NEEDS God to be anything. It is you. You NEED him to exist, otherwise, your life is meaningless and you are not important. I don't NEED this. I also don't NEED him to not exist. In fact, even if you proved God were real, the only thing about my life that would change would be my belief in God. Nothing else would change.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:03 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,635 times
Quote:
Wrong. 100% wrong.

Uhhh, are you sane? Because you just said something was 100% that I know is not so. Which I just told you why it is not so (that I have in fact made choices about belief). Meaning in order to deny it, you have to suspend something presented to your own eyes.

Yes. I do. Even in oppressive countries you can (a) believe in secret, (b) or choose to die for you beliefs.

They can and do. Because belief is part of rational thought. You may not think so because it seems out of anything that you can understand, but at no point was I ever forced to believe as I do.

Perhaps you would like to explain why you think I'm wrong rather than just shooting off an opinion and hoping I'll believe it without evidence.

Because from the evidence of my life, I have come to my belief not through mind-control nanomytes but by looking at a series of paths, and deciding "That makes sense to me." If you were forced to be an atheist (i.e. not a choice) that I feel bad for you.

Thinking men can just believe. It is part of how we are made. If you want to do something, you can. What you are describing (maybe?) is lack of passion. Or a feeling that because you are a thinking person, you can't believe in something. That's not an inability. That's a lack of desire. You don't need to believe. That's by definition what a choice is. I don't want or expect you to have the same feelings I do. What I do expect is for you not to invalidate mine by telling me I don't know what I'm talking about. Because it is as real to me as what you see is to you.

Let me give you an example. I don't vote. I could vote, but I'm simply not interested. This is a part of myself that I'm choosing not to express. I do not say "I have no choice, I'm not a political person" because frankly that's stupid. I just made a choice not to be involved in politics.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 02-10-2016 at 10:43 AM..

Old 02-10-2016, 10:22 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Well, considering a large majority of your posts are defending Christians and the religious, one wonders WHY you do such things if you think they don't need your "protection". So why do you do it? Why waste your time helping out the "hawks".

Yes, an event that happened 14 1/2 years ago is not a reason to take up arms today, or go to Afghanistan and preach to Muslims. I was 14 when that happened (Sitting in my Freshman English class when a teacher ran in and told my teacher to turn the TV on. What a crazy day, even in TN). In other words, not old enough to do anything about it. As I said in my previous post, I tried to join the Air Force, but failed the physical due to the fact that I don't have 100% use of my right arm anymore after a particularly bad shoulder injury.

You still don't understand, or you are pretending not to, why Christians are focused on. That's fine. You can stay in your bubble and act like they are the poor ole persecuted if you want. That's a YOU issue.

Start a thread about Islam here in the R&S forum, and I will gladly tell you my thoughts on their theology and actions. Until then, it is quite irrelevant.

On another note, I don't believe I have ever said anything about "Zombie Jesus" or "Buy Bull" or anything of the sort. So maybe you are thinking of someone else?
When I refer to "you" insulting and mocking...it is the collective "you". And you know that.
Claiming you, individually, didn't say specific insulting things yourself is a bogus argument...HUNDREDS of Religion (mainly Christianity) bashing posts by you.

It is you, et al, that lives in a bubble. The harm and persecution caused by people that use Islam as a basis for thier evil deeds has had this country at war now for longer than any other reason. And they haven't slowed down...MOF they are more evil and active than ever, with ISIS, etc.
How much action is required to protect from Christian theology based persecution comparatively?
The risk is so serious and so bad, that (my opinion on how wise/effective it is aside) we currently have a front-running Presidential candidate (who has a better than good chance of winning) proposing a complete temporary ban on Muslims entering this country.
AGAIN-- YOU, ET AL, are the ones in a "bubble".

So...what's with all the 99% Christianity bashing posts? I know why...it is cowardice. You know Christians won't retaliate...but Muslims have proved they will.
The Religious sure don't need my "protection".
My point is that the Religious adopt the views they proffer from books that are the most prolific ever. And though I don't go by those books, or believe they were inspired by some entity that created the Universe...they do. The books really do say all those things...and they really do believe those things to be "sin" and punishable by eternal torment. They are the most common and enduring elective concepts known to humankind.
They are not insulting...they are "warning". And though I don't believe, and many times don't at all agree (and say so)...I understand the basis for their beliefs and the reasoning they use for the advice and counsel they give. It isn't something they just came up with from nowhere.
It is in this way that "billions believe" factors into it. Though...those opposed ignore that and just point out the ad populum argument relative to "evidence" and "proof"...as if that will get billions to renounce their Religious Faith.
Much of Religious Belief may be based in delusion...but no more than the delusion that insulting and mocking them will help anything.
But if you are gonna claim all the bashing, mocking, and insulting is to sheild against "harm from Religious persecution"...at least show some guts.

Last edited by GldnRule; 02-10-2016 at 10:41 AM..

Old 02-10-2016, 10:40 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
No evidence for Giant Space Crabs would ever satisfy you. How can you convince someone that Giant Space Crabs exist when they NEED Giant Space Crabs to not exist?
There is evidence for God. Zero for space crabs. In fact, it is more probable that you just made it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality