Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 11:49 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The idiocy was in reference to the mainstream beliefs, not you, Cat.
You referred to the idiocy of mainstream anti-Christ apostate majority thinking, which I take to mean anti-Christ religious non-believers. Which would include all of us non-religious in the idiocy classification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 12:05 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
You referred to the idiocy of mainstream anti-Christ apostate majority thinking, which I take to mean anti-Christ religious non-believers. Which would include all of us non-religious in the idiocy classification.
My bad. I can see how it would be confusing since I consider the mainstream Christian churches to be the anti-Christ apostate majority which is obviously not a majority view. LOL

Old 02-19-2016, 12:21 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
We already know why rain falls and food grows. That was one of the gaps gods used to live in, before botany and meteorology explained those things. Even before that, other religions had other deities to explain these things. And each thought their deity was the correct explanation. We now know better.

And I am sorry to have to be the one to break this to you but science does not explain away God bringing rain on the just and the unjust. You don't know better.

Quote:
The degree to which the good in your subjective god claims outweighs the bad depends on the individual making that assessment and the context in which they are making it. If a particular person likes and/or can sufficiently rationalize their experience of reality vs how their faith describes and predicts their experiences, then it is relatively easy (and encouraged) to ignore the experiences of others and minimize human suffering and see it as "more good than bad" and engage in the requisite confirmation bias that says in essence that any untoward qualities or behaviors of the deity are of no consequence.
Probably in 99.99% of every human life, I am willing to bet that the evil in their lives is far far less than the good in their lives. Humanity really has nothing to complain about. You people *may* have some sort of morbid syndrome, in which you focus in on every little thing YOU consider is wrong and you do so with a microscope and blow it so out of proportion that you can't see all the good God has done, is doing and will yet do. You won't be complaining when God resurrects you and gives you immortality and incorruption. Until then, we just have to bear with you folks.

Quote:
The claims of unbelievers here are not that your god is bad, but that it does not exist in the first place and you are exhibiting confirmation bias in attributing good OR bad to your deity. But granting for the sake of argument that your deity exists and operates in reality, we are pointing out that claimed benefits of the deity's actions are questionable at best.
That is a bunch of crock and you know it. Most of the people in this thread have some sort of beef with God. If they didn't think He exists in the first place then they truly should seek help. That would be like going around telling everyone on your block how Thor screwed you over. They would have you locked up.
Deep down inside you know God exists. The Mills Brothers sang it so good "You always hurt the one you love." Deep down inside you love God. You are just acting immature because He didn't give you what you wanted.

Last edited by Eusebius; 02-19-2016 at 12:48 PM..

Old 02-19-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
It just does not make any sense that, because two people (Adam and Eve) decided to take a bite of a "forbidden" fruit, billions and billions of their descendants are automatically born as sinners to suffer pain and misery and either hell, or no afterlife, unless they are baptized and/or participate in other strange rituals and affirmations, depending on which religion you ask (which, of course, all claim to be the one true way to salvation). One act of disobedience and that's it, out with you and from here on, suffering and misery in one form or another. The bad coming from this far exceeds the good. And this all-knowing God knew all of this beforehand and still decided to go through with it to "teach his creation a lesson"? It makes absolutely no sense and God sounds like a psycho, not an all-loving creator.
It is not about just taking a bite of a forbidden fruit. It was disobedience even after God gave them everything they needed. They believed Satan over God. And God told them that they day they eat of that forbidden fruit would be the day the dying process begins in their bodies. And so that death process was passed on down to their offspring.

You should not complain because God has done something about it.

Because of Adam's one disobedient act all mankind were made sinners.
Because of Christ's one obedient act the same all mankind will be made righteous. (see Romans 5:12,18,19).

Now God is an all loving creator and has done everything to save you and all mankind. That being the case, are you willing to drop your enmity to God and be His friend?

Old 02-19-2016, 12:30 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
And I am sorry to have to be the one to break this to you but science does not explain away God bringing rain on the just and the unjust. You don't know better. Your ignorance is greater than "other religions."
Actually, you quite right. That's because God has nothing to do with rain!

Quote:
That is a bunch of crock and you know it. Most of the people in this thread have some sort of beef with God. If they didn't think He exists in the first place then they truly should seek help. That would be like going around telling everyone on your block how Thor screwed you over. They would have you locked up.
Deep down inside you know God exists. The Mills Brothers sang it so good "You always hurt the one you love." Deep down inside you love God. You are just acting immature because He didn't give you what you wanted. waa waa waa.
You have just got to be kidding!

If you are not careful we will get you locked up!

Old 02-19-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I thought it was in reference to your beliefs.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Actually, you quite right. That's because God has nothing to do with rain!
No, if you really knew I was right then you would know it is God that causes the rain to fall on the just and the unjust.

Quote:
You have just got to be kidding!
You have just got to be kidding that I have just got to be kidding.

Quote:
If you are not careful we will get you locked up!
We will have you locked up before I get locked up!

Old 02-19-2016, 12:34 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Now God is an all loving creator and has done everything to save you and all mankind. That being the case, are you willing to drop your enmity to God and be His friend?
I would - in a heartbeat. All God has to do is prove he exists!

Old 02-19-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I would - in a heartbeat. All God has to do is prove he exists!
No, actually He doesn't have to. But if you really want to prove whether or not He does exist, why not test Him?

In Galatians 4 it states "God delegates the spirit of His Son into our hearts crying "Abba, Father."
How does one have Christ's spirit? If you just believe God, I mean truly believe God, that Christ died for our sins, was entombed and roused the third day, you are saved and God seals you with the holy spirit of promise.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:59 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
And I am sorry to have to be the one to break this to you but science does not explain away God bringing rain on the just and the unjust. You don't know better. Your ignorance is greater than "other religions."
Be specific. In what way don't botany and meteorology sufficiently explain plant growth and rain? And in what sense is an explanation even required for that happening pretty evenly on an overall basis? Do you seriously expect that it should not rain on those whom you consider "unjust" unless a deity intervened? It seems to me that it would require intervention to suspend the operation of weather systems in such a way that the unjust would be followed by little personal bubbles of drought.

I don't know how any objective observer of this conversation would think it was me displaying ignorance. You're the one claiming that rain falling on people regardless of the moral approval of your religious club requires some sort of supernatural explanation that I am trying to "explain away". There is nothing strange or unexpected about weather not favoring people of higher moral standing because weather and morality have nothing whatsoever to do with one another.
Quote:
Probably in 99.99% of every human life, I am willing to bet that the evil in their lives is far far less than the good in their lives.
Particularly here in the first world, yes. But that is not what is under discussion. I am trying to get you to acknowledge that human suffering exists and is a matter of any concern at all. Is there any human suffering anywhere that ought to be addressed by humans here and now, or is it all in god's hands and doesn't matter?
Quote:
Deep down inside you know God exists. The Mills Brothers sang it so good "You always hurt the one you love." Deep down inside you love God. You are just acting immature because He didn't give you what you wanted. waa waa waa.
So you can't address my actual point without empty ad hominem attacks then.

I don't go around telling anyone, including you, that your god screwed me over. That is not my belief. And I am the only one who can tell you what I believe. It isn't your narrative to control.

My position has always consistently been that the typically described Christian deity doesn't begin to live up to its billing. YOUR particular billing for that deity is at least an incremental improvement as you do not attempt to construct a theodicy, preferring to throw omnibenevolence under the bus. But I do not find what you assert to be your god's enthusiastic embrace of human suffering based on situational ethics to be acceptable and I do not find human suffering which has gone on now for eons and by your lights will go on for more eons, to be an acceptable state of affairs. Nor do I think finding it acceptable is morally defensible, particularly on the grounds of the hand-waving rationalization "because god knows best".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality