Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 01:29 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
With us, it's chips. (Like french fries, but soggy with extra grease) You would not believe what it does to some people. They are not just grossly fat; they are obscenely fat.
We used to call them "french fries" but when France wouldn't join our agenda in Afghanistan and Iraq we renamed them "freedom fries."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
This pretty much shows up that everything I said is correct and everything you said is wrong.

Over on Christianity, I pointed out that ..hang on....

Luke 24.33 They got up and returned at once to Jerusalem. There they found the Eleven and those with them, assembled together 34 and saying, “It is true! The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon.” 35 Then the two told what had happened on the way, and how Jesus was recognized by them when he broke the bread.36 While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.”

John 20.
24 Now Thomas (also known as Didymus[a]), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”

I explained that the Eleven was not a generic term for 'the disciples'. It specifies the number that were there. Judas of course was gone so that means 11 including Thomas.

This refutes John's claim that Thomas was absent when Jesus first appeared to the disciples (the evening of the resurrection). You seemed blinkered on that previous thread and denied there was any problem and simply posted the Gospel text without even an argument.

That absolutely supports my contention that your methods are wrong, false, and dishonest up to the point where one is tempted to post 'Christians are liars' but I resist that temptation - as I said, but AGAIN you are dishonest in trying to force a tactical point scored against me.

Eusebius, my dear old mate. It is Faith that is doing this to you. It is, I have a theory.. bound up with having no real evidence that stands up but insistence on The Bible being true. And also the idea of inspiration from God, of course.

That is why we get so many fights between Christians who all think their Interpretation is God - given and the other side is mistakne and their Interpretation is merely out of their own heads or is inspired by Satan, perhaps.

This is pretty fragile and admission of error would (so I suspect they feel under their body -belts) smash their whole illusion of Faith in their inspired rightness and the reliability of the Bible. It leads to this odd business of refuting objections without actually looking at them. For example posting a load of stuff about 40 days which is nothing to do with the point I am making.

I have seen it before and we have seen it here.
I still can't believe you don't see it. Here, if you are open to correction, read this:
https://www.christiancourier.com/art...itute-an-error

Otherwise, don't waste your time or mine. Peace out bro!

Old 01-15-2016, 01:56 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
We used to call them "french fries" but when France wouldn't join our agenda in Afghanistan and Iraq we renamed them "freedom fries."
WTF! LOL!!!

The whole "freedom fries" thing was a joke, basically.

I don't know ANYONE who calls them "freedom fries," or who did at the time. Everyone calls them French fries.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
WTF! LOL!!!

The whole "freedom fries" thing was a joke, basically.

I don't know ANYONE who calls them "freedom fries," or who did at the time. Everyone calls them French fries.

More on freedom fries:
Did Americans Really Call French Fries "Freedom Fries"? | Mental Floss

I'm not sure what freedom fries has to do with Noah having GPS but . . . whatever

Old 01-15-2016, 08:06 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:

More on freedom fries:
Did Americans Really Call French Fries "Freedom Fries"? | Mental Floss

I'm not sure what freedom fries has to do with Noah having GPS but . . . whatever
Oh, it came out of the suggestion that Noah was supplied by a frozen food company that contributes to US obesity. I observed that it was British -style french fries that does it for us.
Quote:
I still can't believe you don't see it. Here, if you are open to correction, read this:
https://www.christiancourier.com/art...itute-an-error

Otherwise, don't waste your time or mine. Peace out bro!
That doesn't really work because Luke (who surely wrote Acts) has the disciples become 12 again when Matthias was elected. So in Luke's view the 11 wa not a generic term ever after Judas had gone. It was referring to 11 disciples that were left. I think we may take it that the other gospel references to the 11 disciples after the crucifixion also refers to there being just 11.

That being so, he would have referred to the ten (Thomas being absent) if that were the case. Note also that John refers to Thomas one of the twelve, being absent. So the argument that 'the 11' was a generic term for the post Judas disciples (no matter how many were actually there) is refuted by John. The omission of the rather striking Thomas story by Luke and of course the omission of the whole evening appearance story by Matthew and the lack of any such tale in Mark is three more nails in the coffin of your faith in the reliability of the gospels accounts.

It probably is a waste of your time and mine getting you to look objectively at the evidence, but it isn't a waste of time pointing out a pretty fatal contradiction of the Thomas story by Luke and your refusal to accept it, preferring some rather flimsy apologetics excuse.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 01-15-2016 at 08:15 PM..

Old 01-16-2016, 04:24 AM

2,774 posts, read 2,669,886 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for sharing that with us.

here is another verse
and the ark is running 'amid waves like mountains....... The Holy Quran

Have you ever seen waves like mountains ?
Have you ever seen a ship running ?

Old 01-16-2016, 04:49 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Sorry. A wooden ship the size of the ark, full of animals, plus food for a year or more would have a job surviving the flood (total a year, before it beached on Ararat, I believe) even if it was just rising sedately on a millpond-still flood. Waves like mountains or even anything more than choppy sea would have it come apart.

The Holy Quran is wrong, as it is about disease on a fly wing and the cure on the other, fresh water through salt (1) and remaining potable and the number of bones(or joins) in the skeleton. It is neither correct, nor Holy. Sorry, mate.

(1) I can imagine that this can occur as a temporary local feature where a freshwater river flows into the sea. The fresh water will stay a fresh flow for some distance (citation needed) but will surely mingle with the salt and no more freshwater flow. Nothing miraculous or indeed inexplicable about that. No more than the anciently -known ocean currents supposed to be the Biblical 'paths of the sea'.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Sorry. A wooden ship the size of the ark, full of animals, plus food for a year or more would have a job surviving the flood (total a year, before it beached on Ararat, I believe) even if it was just rising sedately on a millpond-still flood. Waves like mountains or even anything more than choppy sea would have it come apart.
Since we have humans on the earth today and animals, the Ark Noah built did in fact prove its seaworthiness.
Also, the bible doesn't say the ark landed on Ararat but "on the mountains of Ararat" (Gen.8:4) which is quite a larger area.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Oh, it came out of the suggestion that Noah was supplied by a frozen food company that contributes to US obesity. I observed that it was British -style french fries that does it for us.

That doesn't really work because Luke (who surely wrote Acts) has the disciples become 12 again when Matthias was elected. So in Luke's view the 11 wa not a generic term ever after Judas had gone. It was referring to 11 disciples that were left. I think we may take it that the other gospel references to the 11 disciples after the crucifixion also refers to there being just 11.

That being so, he would have referred to the ten (Thomas being absent) if that were the case. Note also that John refers to Thomas one of the twelve, being absent. So the argument that 'the 11' was a generic term for the post Judas disciples (no matter how many were actually there) is refuted by John. The omission of the rather striking Thomas story by Luke and of course the omission of the whole evening appearance story by Matthew and the lack of any such tale in Mark is three more nails in the coffin of your faith in the reliability of the gospels accounts.

It probably is a waste of your time and mine getting you to look objectively at the evidence, but it isn't a waste of time pointing out a pretty fatal contradiction of the Thomas story by Luke and your refusal to accept it, preferring some rather flimsy apologetics excuse.
If you can't accept that either then we are back to what I stated before:

In John chapter 20:24 Thomas was not with the other disciples. Then in John 20:26, eight days later Thomas was with them and met the risen Christ.

In Luke 20:33, this meeting was just prior to Christ ascending into heaven and the eleven disciples were convened together. Luke 24 appears to the untrained reader to have all happened in one day. However we know right after Christ arose from the tomb that there were 40 days between that day and His ascension into heaven (see Acts 1:3) So from Luke 24:35 to 36 is 40 days.

No contradiction as you suppose.

If this doesn't help you, then we are at a definite impasse:
https://www.jashow.org/articles/unca...atives-part-4/

Last edited by Eusebius; 01-16-2016 at 05:55 AM..

Old 01-16-2016, 05:49 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Since we have humans on the earth today and animals, the Ark Noah built did in fact prove its seaworthiness.
This is the sort of illogical nonsense and skewed thinking that we have to fight against folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality