Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:35 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm living proof one can be raised about as fundamentalist-y as a Catholic can be raised and yet turn out to be a veritable paragon of normalcy.

Let's be realistic, now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 08:48 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,475,998 times
I am inclined to think this document you're being asked to sign is more symbolic than substantive. It's a free country. Your wife isn't prohibited from teaching the kids whatever she wants. The Church isn't beholden to you. I don't see what basis you'd have to sue them for indoctrinating your kids; much as I'd disagree with it morally, I can't see how it'd be illegal.

I would tell her to teach them whatever she wants but you will do the same. If your child asks you what you think of this or that teaching of the Church you will be honest with them in your answer. I wouldn't make a butt-kicking contest out of it but I would not meekly go underground about my own beliefs about reality either.

I would love to know what this document is entitled and whether it is online someplace. I'll bet it is a non-binding (legally) agreement for you to surrender your children to Catholic indoctrination and will be used against you if you ever object to some aspect of their process with your kids.

I'm with Matadora on this, don't roll over and give them what they want. Retain your right to teach them your own beliefs. Let them think you have three eyes and two horns if they want.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:21 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Do not roll over. Loaded words. Put those sentiments away and look for balance. You will be co-parenting a wonderful little girl for years to come. She needs balance.

What is the message to your daughter if she is learning about a faith that does not treat her as equal on all levels? How does your ex explain this?

What if your daughter is gay? Is the choice of faith going to support her?

You can provide balance, as you will not have a whole lot of control if she is taken to a church service. You might just have a great opportunity to introduce her to critical thinking and also to faiths of the world.
What people and other cultures believe about God is fascinating.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:41 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
How long did it take you to overcome it?
I was about 15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Can we get a second opinion, Trout???
Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Let's be realistic, now...
And another...

Old 01-13-2016, 12:14 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Just curious why you had a child with someone that you knew was a rigid catholic?

I would also put my foot down with your family and tell them to stay out of your business especially when it comes to your flesh and blood child. It's really none of their business how you chose to raise your child.

I would not sign any papers that had to do with any church. That would be a huge mistake on your part.

Shame on your narrow minded ex-wife.
Yep! I think I'd go with that one.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:36 AM

11,025 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch.stanton View Post
My ex-wife is Catholic. I'm not.

She needs me to sign papers to raise our child Catholic. I do not want to sign them.

So, now my ex-wife and my family are upset with me. Saying I'm wrong and a bad person for not cooperating.

If I don't believe that Catholicism is the truth. Then I don't feel I should sign papers allowing my child to be taught something that I don't believe is true.

I told her she can teach our child whatever she feels is true, but I want no part of her process. It's not my fault her religion requires papers for me to sign.

My ex-wife and family have become very aggressive about this and even threatened to take me to court to get full legal custody, just so she can have the right to raise her Catholic.

If she's this adamant about her beliefs, she should've married someone with the same beliefs.

I tried to keep my post as neutral as possible. Without going into what my beliefs are and why I don't agree with her beliefs. And just stick to the facts.

And I feel the facts are, I should not be forced to participate in someone else's beliefs. I should be able to have my own beliefs. And we should be able to peacefully coexist.

I would like an objective opinion please.

Thanks
I think you should be demanding that she does not raise your child a Catholic! You should be asking her to sign agreement not to. Demand that she does not. Demand the same same from your family! Demand that they show some respect!

P.S. I have to spread some reps around before I can rep your post #22, mordant.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:04 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
I do not want to sign them.
Do not sign them.
Quote:
So, now my ex-wife and my family are upset with me. Saying I'm wrong and a bad person for not cooperating.
This is really a bad situation. The only wrong and bad people in this situation is your family and your ex-wife. Then tack on a church that has papers for parents to sign.
Quote:
If I don't believe that Catholicism is the truth. Then I don't feel I should sign papers allowing my child to be taught something that I don't believe is true.
All the more reason to Not Sign them.
Quote:
It's not my fault her religion requires papers for me to sign.
No church should be asking any parent to sign any papers. Is this the new low for the Catholic religion? Sign papers for what purpose? Sounds like you would be making a deal with the devil if you signed anything that a church and ex-wife are damanding you to sign.
Quote:
My ex-wife and family have become very aggressive about this and even threatened to take me to court to get full legal custody, just so she can have the right to raise her Catholic.
I would document anything you can with respect to them threatening you in this manner. Sounds like you need to protect yourself...religious folks can do some really crazy things when they think their religion is being threatened.
Quote:
If she's this adamant about her beliefs, she should've married someone with the same beliefs.
Next time you meet someone you want to marry, make sure you are absolutely clear of their religious position.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:14 AM

595 posts, read 331,830 times
I think the Catholic church is requiring such papers precisely because there are unreasonable members like this. The church is basically saying they will not support her effort to raise a child as Catholic if you object. Her family's threats to take you to court are empty threats. What is the court going to do? Force the Catholic church to ignore its own legal proceedings? The very idea is bizarre.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:20 AM

11,025 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post
I think the Catholic church is requiring such papers precisely because there are unreasonable members like this. The church is basically saying they will not support her effort to raise a child as Catholic if you object. Her family's threats to take you to court are empty threats. What is the court going to do? Force the Catholic church to ignore its own legal proceedings? The very idea is bizarre.
This.

Under no circumstances should you sign these papers!

Old 01-13-2016, 02:55 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Were you married in the Catholic Church?
I'm curious because it has always been my understanding ( and was so, when my mom married a Catholic) that the church would not marry you there until you signed such papers beforehand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality