Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 03:47 PM

265 posts, read 615,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
I just received 2 phone calls in a row from Jehovah's Witnesses. Has anyone ever heard of them calling instead of visiting? This is new to me. I politely said no thank you, but I'm still surprised to get calls now. Is this something new?

I think that it's safer now-a-days for them to phone cuzz there aint no safety in numbers any more. Now they get the phone slammed in their ear instead of a door slammed in their faces. At least they don't have to stand out in the cold weather holding out books you keep passing by. Now they can sit inside the warmth of some room, and phone you guys up. Doe!!!!

I know I didn't like seeing them 61 to a car outside of Wal-Mart leaping out at me if I happened to park near them.

It’s weird cause like the 60 in the car have their faces and eyes glued to the poor soul they pushed out of the car as they all intently watch for the possible demise of that one person.

"....say it anit so! oooh, but it is."
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Doe!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 09:01 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
I just received 2 phone calls in a row from Jehovah's Witnesses. Has anyone ever heard of them calling instead of visiting? This is new to me. I politely said no thank you, but I'm still surprised to get calls now. Is this something new?
Well, if their gonna bother me, that would be the way to do it. It's much easier to make them go away if they're on the phone.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:41 AM

312 posts, read 867,620 times
The calls in general are not something new. There are areas that are not possible to visit "door to door" so a phone call or a letter is just another way to get in touch with people in the ministry.

If it is not something you want, simply let the caller know. It's not a big deal... at least on their end anyway! If you no longer wish to be contacted by them just let them know- they will put you on their "Do not call" list and you will be put on that list for one year. After the year is up, you may be contacted- people move, their situations change etc. If nothing has changed and you don't want to be contacted further, you just let them know again. Back on the list, no problem. That is that!

Old 05-03-2010, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,725 times
Yes, I got a call this Saturday from a women asking if I thought the world ever be restored to it's beauty/peace again? I was in a hurry as I needed to be at work directly. I was very annoyed. I asked her how she got my number. She said that she was a christian just trying to share an encouraging message today.
I have received letters from their church as the members of my building have. I called housing and found out that they have taken our names from the registry in the building and looked in the phone book. Very intrusive. I am in a federal housing building.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:34 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Actually, this could really take off.

"If you'd like to be saved from eternal damnation, press 1. If you already identify as Christian but don't yet realize you're going to hell anyway, press 2. If you're pagan, please hang up the phone now and go away quietly. If you think you believe in Jesus the correct way, but aren't sure, and would like to speak to a representative, press 3. You may download a PDF of how to be saved at........"

It could work.

That said, our JWs are nice...and so far haven't tried to call me...or I don't think they have. I don't pick up my phone until I hear a voice I know. I hate the phone. Bleah. I'm the only woman in the world who hates talking on the phone and also hates buying shoes.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:39 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
You know...I hope this isn't considered OT, but is there some other religion besides JW or LDS that just calls itself "Christian" and they wear dark colors, and they come to your door in a bunch? We've had these people stalk us once or twice. I wrote a funny Myspace about it.

My DH was whispering to me that just when we thought we were clear of them, one was going to jump from behind a bush and say in an overly-cheerful voice, "Where have thee been?" I shouldn't make fun because it really can't be easy to go door-to-door...I mean I do understand that. But we were literally run-walking away from them and they were run-walking behind us trying to catch up...LOL. Ah well...

Old 05-03-2010, 10:20 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiJay View Post
The calls in general are not something new. There are areas that are not possible to visit "door to door" so a phone call or a letter is just another way to get in touch with people in the ministry.

If it is not something you want, simply let the caller know. It's not a big deal... at least on their end anyway! If you no longer wish to be contacted by them just let them know- they will put you on their "Do not call" list and you will be put on that list for one year. After the year is up, you may be contacted- people move, their situations change etc. If nothing has changed and you don't want to be contacted further, you just let them know again. Back on the list, no problem. That is that!
It is a big deal because 1) they're bothering me; and 2) they don't listen and call back.
I don't want their harassment. Ever. For any reason.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:32 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Ask for their number and promise to call them back. Why can't I get rid of the underline?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:49 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times
I wonder how a Jehovah Witness would respond if a couple of atheists rang his doorbell & attempted to convert him/her to atheism?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:20 PM

312 posts, read 867,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It is a big deal because 1) they're bothering me; and 2) they don't listen and call back.
I don't want their harassment. Ever. For any reason.

Just let them know. They don't want to waste your time or theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality