Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 08:05 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
At least the Icelanders were not the ones who plunged the world into the Great Recession in the first place
I dunno. They played the same role as the US financial industry, just smaller and more extreme. I'm not saying their shame isn't also our shame. Or that they haven't done a better job of learning from their mistakes so far than we Americans. There's only one presidential candidate focusing on breaking up the "too big to fail" financial institutions, unfortunately. Because unlike Iceland, which seems truly chastened, and at least has the excuse that its numerically small population is more ingrown and less diverse and thus more prone to self-reinforcing mania ... I believe the US is well on its way to repeating the same mistakes unless there is decisive intervention and reform.

But now we are flirting with political topics that have no business here, so I will leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 08:33 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times

Old 01-17-2016, 08:38 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,229 times
Ah, but they approve of same-sex marriage! And with their low birthrates they are doomed to extinction soon as god's punishment for their immorality!

/Fundy logic.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:43 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
(Image of Icelanders in public geothermal bath)
Why the depravity is right there in front of you. Bathing together! In public!

Actually though to my knowledge at least they have bathing suits. If you really want to challenge a Western body-shaming prude, try many other Nordic countries, such as Denmark, where people of all ages and genders routinely swim naked in the sea (and not on specially designated beaches, either), or Finland, where people are customarily naked in steam baths. Steam baths! The horror!

Actually the latter idea horrifies me less over the actual concept than over my lack of desire for my elderly touche to be seen au naturelle lest the viewer be struck blind. Or for me to see anything similar. Some things, once seen, can't be un-seen.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:33 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Lol ... thanks for your honesty. "de lootrin church" was rejected by my family of origin in favor of the alleged living faith of evangelical Christianity, so they were on to something there, they just went the wrong direction ;-)
They should have come to the REAL Lutheran church*, aka the Missouri Synod or Wisconsin Synod, where good living fundamentalist Christianity is practiced, with a good helping of Catholic Guilt thrown in too.

But then you'd be every bit as messed-up as me.

*The mainstream Lutheran churches in the US and Scandinavia are heretical because they have rejected God's Word.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:20 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Ah, but they approve of same-sex marriage! And with their low birthrates they are doomed to extinction soon as god's punishment for their immorality!

/Fundy logic.
Funny joke.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:34 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Hmmm...

Quote:
Religion in Iceland was initially the Norse paganism that was a common belief among mediaeval Scandinavians who started settling Iceland in the 9th century AD, until Christian conversion around 1000 AD, though paganism did not vanish then. Starting in the 1530s, Iceland, originally Roman Catholic and under the Danish crown, formally became Lutheran, culminating in 1550 with the killing of the last Catholic bishop and the outlawing of Catholicism. Iceland still has a state church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Iceland, though religious freedom has been a legal right since 1874. The state church is supported by the government, but all registered religions received support from a church tax paid by taxpayers over the age of 16 years.[2]

According to government records, the population is at present overwhelmingly Lutheran, although Catholics and other Christian minorities exist as well as several non-Christian minority groups. The largest non-Christian religious grouping was Ásatrú (Germanic folk religion). A Gallup poll conducted in 2012 found that 57% of Icelanders considered themselves "a religious person", 31% consider themselves "a non religious person", while 10% define themselves as "a convinced atheist", placing Iceland in top 10 atheist populations in the world. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Iceland

Hmmm...

Quote:
Iceland's defences consist of the Icelandic Coast Guard, which patrols Icelandic waters and airspace, and other services such as the National Commissioner's National Security and Special Forces Units.[1][2][3][4] Iceland is however the only NATO member which maintains no standing army, although there is no legal impediment to forming one and Icelandic services perform the operations fellow NATO allies relegate to their standing armies. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Iceland

So, how is it majority Atheist????...

Old 01-17-2016, 03:38 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Well it's obvious to me why Iceland has more people who are more sensible and use their noggin compared to the US population.

60% of them hold a degree where as only 30% of Americans hold one. Yepper "Amuurcia" has a mostly college uneducated population running around thumping their bible.

Having little to no education goes hand in hand with bible thumping.

60 Percent of Young Icelanders with University Degree | Iceland Review

We are in big trouble. America did not even land in the top 30

Last edited by Matadora; 01-17-2016 at 03:52 PM..

Old 01-17-2016, 04:28 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Well it's obvious to me why Iceland has more people who are more sensible and use their noggin compared to the US population.

60% of them hold a degree where as only 30% of Americans hold one. Yepper "Amuurcia" has a mostly college uneducated population running around thumping their bible.

Having little to no education goes hand in hand with bible thumping.

60 Percent of Young Icelanders with University Degree | Iceland Review

We are in big trouble. America did not even land in the top 30
just for clarification's sake -- the final link you present (about America not in the top 30) links to an article about STEM degrees and lists 10 countries so it might not be what you are looking for. One country on the list was Mexico about which there is this on wikipedia: "The Mexican population is predominantly Catholic (83.9% of the population aged five and older, according to the 2010 census)" so a "bible thumping" country is on that list you touted.

And I just looked up Israel, because there a bunch of bible thumpers there also: " In 2012, the country ranked second among OECD countries (tied with Japan and after Canada) for the percentage of 25- to 64-year-olds that have attained tertiary education with 46 percent compared with the OECD average of 32 percent. In addition, nearly twice as many Israelis aged 55–64 held a higher education degree compared to other OECD countries, with 47 percent holding an academic degree compared with the OECD average of 25%"

So are you still holding on to that false correlation of degrees and belief?

Old 01-17-2016, 04:38 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
just for clarification's sake -- the final link you present (about America not in the top 30) links to an article about STEM degrees and lists 10 countries so it might not be what you are looking for. One country on the list was Mexico about which there is this on wikipedia: "The Mexican population is predominantly Catholic (83.9% of the population aged five and older, according to the 2010 census)" so a "bible thumping" country is on that list you touted.
It's exactly what I was looking for.

You can bet that if only 30% of Americans have a college degree that this number is lower in Mexico. Then add on the fact that they are leaving Mexico by the millions. Simply look at the number of legal and illegal Mexican immigrants we have in our country that barely speak English or have higher education skills.

There is no credible data that I could find supporting how many people in Mexico have a college education.

Quote:
And I just looked up Israel, because there a bunch of bible thumpers there also: " In 2012, the country ranked second among OECD countries (tied with Japan and after Canada) for the percentage of 25- to 64-year-olds that have attained tertiary education with 46 percent compared with the OECD average of 32 percent. In addition, nearly twice as many Israelis aged 55–64 held a higher education degree compared to other OECD countries, with 47 percent holding an academic degree compared with the OECD average of 25%"
No you won't find a majority of bible thumpers in Israel. They put out some of the brightest STEM folks on the planet. Most Americans have no idea what Israel is about...they only know what they see on Fox news...believe me it does not represent Israel as a whole.

In 2010 a report released by the Israel Central Bureau of Statistics showed that:
  • 8% of Israel's Jewish population defines itself as ultra-Orthodox
  • 12% as Orthodox
  • 13% as traditional-religious
  • 25% as traditional
  • 42% as secular, on a descending scale of religiosity.

Quote:
So are you still holding on to that false correlation of degrees and belief?
LOL! It's you that's holding onto the false correlation that education has nothing to do with bible thumping.

Last edited by Matadora; 01-17-2016 at 04:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality