Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 07:30 PM

23,153 posts, read 10,449,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
It's a book based on an actual conspiracy theory. I don't see any conspiracy theories on Moby Dick or Alice in Wonderland, please try again.

SHAAH!

Somebody's imagination has no place, I don't know what you mean, because it is a conspiracy theory it's true?

It is a story, a freaking movie.

I swear, I know at least 3 people that believe in movies about Mars, about aliens building the freaking Pyramids, what does this have to do with anything real at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 08:45 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
And in spite of that, people think it's true?!
There are people who think man has never landed on the moon.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:53 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
There are people who think man has never landed on the moon.
Yes. Astounding! I was just thinking recently how for some people the same evidence means some different to other people. Like the waving flag. That 'proves' to some that there was a breeze blowing making it a conspiracy while to us that proves it was in a total vacuum such as is found on the moon. Is this not how theists and atheist view the same evidence?

To me the De Vince Code falls into the conspiracy theory category. I don't know of any Christians of any flavor that consider it possible. (I don't know tons of Christians but those I do know .... And I hasten to add that some of them are very good people!)

Old 01-25-2016, 12:21 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So we have either seen the movie or read the book. If not then I'm sure that most of you get the gist of it. Jesus was just human & was like everyone else, not a deity just a hippie teaching peace & love who had children & their blood line lives on today.

I had never seen the movie until the other night read the book many years ago.

This isn't about if you believe the hype or not here, this is about IF you had 100% proof that Jesus was just one of us would you tell everyone? Would it be the right then to do in terms of those who believe in him as the son of God? Millions of people believe in him & Christianity as a whole. Many NEED to believe in him & some need to believe because the belief in him helps them though out their lives. Do you feel that taking away their faith would benefit them in any way? Would the world be a better place without Christianity? I thought this to be an interesting question. Would you keep it to yourself OR tell everyone?

I guess the question is, what exactly is Christianity?

There are some scholars who, after their research, believe that early Christians did not believe Jesus to be a God or a son of God.

So to refrase your question, should modern day Christians revert back to the early belief and practices of Christianity? (Which means, Christians can still stay as Christians even if they believe that Jesus is neither God or a son of God)

My answer to that would be, it really doesn't matter. Or perhaps it's a matter between a Christian and his God. We have no right to tell anyone whether he is right or wrong when it comes to matters of faith.

Many good things have come out through Christian world that have helped humanity - this includes great charity work, building of hospitals, food drives, providing shelters to homeless, volunteer and relief work in diseaster areas, adoption of orphans, kids welfare programs, animal rescue and support, interfaith dialogue and building bridges with other faiths to help people. There are many other contributions.

Is Christian world all rosy? Perhaps not, but which faith is all rosy? There are good and bad people in every bunch.

I guess it depends on how you look at it, whether the glass is half full or half empty?

Even though I am not a Christian but I do respect the faith and open heartedly acknowledge the contributions of Christian world toward all humanity without making any distinctions between race color gender nationality etc.

Great job and keep it up !!

To OP,
It's a ridiculous idea to think that this world would be a better place without Christianity or any other faith.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:09 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So we have either seen the movie or read the book. If not then I'm sure that most of you get the gist of it. Jesus was just human & was like everyone else, not a deity just a hippie teaching peace & love who had children & their blood line lives on today.

I had never seen the movie until the other night read the book many years ago.

This isn't about if you believe the hype or not here, this is about IF you had 100% proof that Jesus was just one of us would you tell everyone? Would it be the right then to do in terms of those who believe in him as the son of God? Millions of people believe in him & Christianity as a whole. Many NEED to believe in him & some need to believe because the belief in him helps them though out their lives. Do you feel that taking away their faith would benefit them in any way? Would the world be a better place without Christianity? I thought this to be an interesting question. Would you keep it to yourself OR tell everyone?

You do know that it's garbage, right? That it is at best pop fiction, and at worst absolute drivel?

The Da Vinci Code - Is It Accurate? | Bibleinfo.com

There is no historical accuracy to them. As in, even less historical accuracy than Jesus, who supposedly cannot be historically proven. It's basically a conspiracy theory Dan Brown wrote to sell books. And not even a good one.

Jesus was just one of us. But Jesus is a symbol of something larger, the power of God to dwell among us as a fellow human. The Da Vinci code cheapens this, making a statement instead of "Christians don't want to tell you about this deep dark secret." Actually, no, Dan Brown stop being a camwho' and attention grabbing. Maybe Jesus did in fact have a child. Most of us can get on with our lives, because it's actually about who Jesus was. Not whether or not he knocked someone up.

As for Christians being shocked about the notion of Jesus being married, I think you guys are missing something.

Quote:
And what of the claim that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene? This was supposedly hidden from us for a number of reasons, including the way established Christianity frowns upon sexual relationships—including those found within the context of marriage. While the Christian church at large has, on occasion, taken a less-than-healthy attitude toward positive sexual relationships, this assertion is simply wrong. The New Testament book of Hebrews makes it abundantly clear that "marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled." (Hebrews 13:1) Marriage in Christian teaching does not diminish the sanctity of the individual; it rather elevates it.
If Jesus had been married (He was, after all, fully human in addition to being fully God), it would not have been a sin. The book of Ephesians—written in the mid-first century—uses marriage as a striking illustration of the sacred relationship of Jesus to His church. Listen to the words of Jesus Himself:
And He answered and said to them, "Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning made them male and female, and said, For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh? So then they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate." Matthew 19:5, 6
Even if it were true, it would change absolutely nothing. Only the Catholic church forbade marriage, and because of that they have child molestation.

https://www.futurechurch.org/brief-h...atholic-church

Quote:
First Century
Peter, the first pope, and the apostles that Jesus chose were, for the most part, married men. The New Testament implies that women presided at eucharistic meals in the early church.
Second and Third Century
Age of Gnosticism: light and spirit are good, darkness and material things are evil. A person cannot be married and be perfect. However, most priests were married.
Fourth Century
306-Council of Elvira, Spain, decree #43: a priest who sleeps with his wife the night before Mass will lose his job.
325-Council of Nicea: decreed that after ordination a priest could not marry. Proclaimed the Nicene Creed.
352-Council of Laodicea: women are not to be ordained. This suggests that before this time there was ordination of women.
385-Pope Siricius left his wife in order to become pope. Decreed that priests may no longer sleep with their wives.
Fifth Century
401-St. Augustine wrote, Nothing is so powerful in drawing the spirit of a man downwards as the caresses of a woman.
Sixth Century
567-2nd Council of Tours: any cleric found in bed with his wife would be excommunicated for a year and reduced to the lay state.
580-Pope Pelagius II: his policy was not to bother married priests as long as they did not hand over church property to wives or children.
590-604-Pope Gregory the Great said that all sexual desire is sinful in itself (meaning that sexual desire is intrinsically evil?).
Seventh Century
France: documents show that the majority of priest were married.
Eighth Century
St. Boniface reported to the pope that in Germany almost no bishop or priest was celibate.
Ninth Century
836-Council of Aix-la-Chapelle openly admitted that abortions and infanticide took place in convents and monasteries to cover up activities of uncelibate clerics.
St. Ulrich, a holy bishop, argued from scripture and common sense that the only way to purify the church from the worst excesses of celibacy was to permit priests to marry.
Eleventh Century
1045-
Benedict IX dispensed himself from celibacy and resigned in order to marry.
1074-Pope Gregory VII said anyone to be ordained must first pledge celibacy: priests [must] first escape from the clutches of their wives.
1095-Pope Urban II had priests wives sold into slavery, children were abandoned.
Twelfth Century

1123-Pope Calistus II: First Lateran Council decreed that clerical marriages were invalid.
1139-Pope Innocent II: Second Lateran Council confirmed the previous councils decree.
Fourteenth Century
Bishop Pelagio complains that women are still ordained and hearing confessions.
Fifteenth Century
Transition; 50% of priests are married and accepted by the people.
Sixteenth Century
1545-63-Council of Trent states that celibacy and virginity are superior to marriage.
1517-Martin Luther.
1530-Henry VIII.
Seventeenth Century
Inquisition. Galileo. Newton.
Eighteenth Century
1776-American Declaration of Independence.
1789-French Revolution.
Nineteenth Century
1804-Napoleon.
1882-Darwin.
1847-Marx, Communist Manifesto.
1858-Freud.
1869-First Vatican Council; infallibility of pope.
Twentieth Century
1930-Pope Pius XI: sex can be good and holy.
1951-Pope Pius XII: married Lutheran pastor ordained catholic priest in Germany.
1962-Pope John XXIII: Vatican Council II; vernacular; marriage is equal to virginity.
1966-Pope Paul VI: celibacy dispensations.
1970s-Ludmilla Javorova and several other Czech women ordained to serve needs of women imprisoned by Communists.
1978-Pope John Paul II: puts a freeze on dispensations.
1983-New Canon Law.
1980-Married Anglican/Episcopal pastors are ordained as catholic priests in the U.S.; also in Canada and England in 1994.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 01-25-2016 at 04:17 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 03:47 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
But Hans Zimmer is awesome!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xsP3u-CVO4

Old 01-26-2016, 06:54 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
You do know that it's garbage, right? That it is at best pop fiction, and at worst absolute drivel?

The Da Vinci Code - Is It Accurate? | Bibleinfo.com

There is no historical accuracy to them. As in, even less historical accuracy than Jesus, who supposedly cannot be historically proven. It's basically a conspiracy theory Dan Brown wrote to sell books. And not even a good one.

Jesus was just one of us. But Jesus is a symbol of something larger, the power of God to dwell among us as a fellow human. The Da Vinci code cheapens this, making a statement instead of "Christians don't want to tell you about this deep dark secret." Actually, no, Dan Brown stop being a camwho' and attention grabbing. Maybe Jesus did in fact have a child. Most of us can get on with our lives, because it's actually about who Jesus was. Not whether or not he knocked someone up.

As for Christians being shocked about the notion of Jesus being married, I think you guys are missing something.

Even if it were true, it would change absolutely nothing.

It MIGHT chance the way people see or view Jesus to know that he wasn't the son of God & just a man.
Yes, the book & movie is bunk. Seeing that Christianity is full of holes it's easy to speculate about things & of course everyone takes a shot at them. Even more so because they believe that the are THE religion.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:10 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Yes. Astounding! I was just thinking recently how for some people the same evidence means some different to other people. Like the waving flag. That 'proves' to some that there was a breeze blowing making it a conspiracy while to us that proves it was in a total vacuum such as is found on the moon. Is this not how theists and atheist view the same evidence?

To me it proves that some people have never gotten past the cornfield in which they were born, whether physically or mentally.

You've got this team of really, really smart people who can figure out how to break the bonds of gravity, keep human beings alive in outer space, guide their vessel to land on the moon, plan out all the reporting and coverage and governmental rah-rah that will go along with this moon landing...and not one of these really smart people would have slapped their foreheads and said, "Gee willikers, if we're going to have Armstrong plant a flag on the moon's surface, it's just gonna hang there sort of limp. Whaddya say we put some wire in it so it looks like it's waving for the photo op?"

Quote:

To me the De Vince Code falls into the conspiracy theory category. I don't know of any Christians of any flavor that consider it possible. (I don't know tons of Christians but those I do know .... And I hasten to add that some of them are very good people!)

To me, the Da Vinci Code falls into the FICTION category. Somebody came up with a great idea for a story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality