Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:59 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Nate, I'm a little slow today. Can't understand what you mean by that. When you say book do you mean Book? And what is Guide?
The specific reference to "guide" is the "helper" of 16"I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you." and "Guide" as in ""But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come."

"Book" refers to ANY written instructions or history or anything else that has been recorded. NOwhere is such a thing promised.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:03 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Hello all!

I'm sure this is a topic beaten to death, but I still thought I might beat this horse a little more.

So, I watched a video with a friend the other day. It was a Katt Williams comedy show (Kattpacalypse IIRC.) In it Katt made a statement to the effect of:

"Of course evolution is fake. If it wasn't fake, why do we still have monkeys? Are they the retarded monkeys that haven't turned into people yet?"

Part of me was wondering if he was serious or just saying it for the comedic value. Well, later in the day I brought this up with my dad who's a fairly strong fundamentalist Christian and he surprised me by agreeing with the statement. I guess he actually took it as proof that evolution is fake.
He said the world started with Adam and Eve and you can't believe this "Global Warming" and "Evolution" bs.

So, I am going to say right now, I don't agree with this views. But, as there is an overwhelming amount of evidence for evolution; how do you reconcile evolution with your religious views?

I'm especially interested in what Christians think of evolution, whether you believe it or not. If you do believe it, what do you make of the story of Adam and Eve? Is it metaphorical?

If you don't believe it, what would you say about all the evidence that seemingly points towards the conclusion that evolution has been in play for a LONG time?

All opinions are welcome Thanks!
Evolution is irreconcilable with the Scriptures.
God created Adam and Eve around 6 or so thousand years ago. He is in Christ's lineage. Paul and others wrote concerning him as a real person.

Besides, there isn't enough time for evolution to have occurred according to the Bible since we have this:

Genesis 1:1-2 by the Elohim were the heavens and the earth. (2) Yet the earth became a chaos and
vacant,
and darkness was on the surface of the submerged chaos. Yet the spirit of the Elohim is
vibrating over the surface of the water.

In Genesis 1:1 God created the earth to be indwelt:

Isa_45:18 For thus says Yahweh, Creator of the heavens; He is the Elohim, and Former of the earth,
and its Maker, and He, He established it. He did not create it a chaos. He formed it to be indwelt. "I am
Yahweh, and there is none else."

Since He did not create the earth a chaos, it became a chaos and vacant of all life.

During the 6 days when God made the earth habitable again, around 6 or so thousand years ago, that is when He formed humanity out of the soil of the earth. We know humans or animals could not possibly have evolved in that short a time frame.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:49 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Hello all!

I'm sure this is a topic beaten to death, but I still thought I might beat this horse a little more.

So, I watched a video with a friend the other day. It was a Katt Williams comedy show (Kattpacalypse IIRC.) In it Katt made a statement to the effect of:

"Of course evolution is fake. If it wasn't fake, why do we still have monkeys? Are they the retarded monkeys that haven't turned into people yet?"

Part of me was wondering if he was serious or just saying it for the comedic value. Well, later in the day I brought this up with my dad who's a fairly strong fundamentalist Christian and he surprised me by agreeing with the statement. I guess he actually took it as proof that evolution is fake.
He said the world started with Adam and Eve and you can't believe this "Global Warming" and "Evolution" bs.

So, I am going to say right now, I don't agree with this views. But, as there is an overwhelming amount of evidence for evolution; how do you reconcile evolution with your religious views?

I'm especially interested in what Christians think of evolution, whether you believe it or not. If you do believe it, what do you make of the story of Adam and Eve? Is it metaphorical?

If you don't believe it, what would you say about all the evidence that seemingly points towards the conclusion that evolution has been in play for a LONG time?

That is so old, even AIG has advised against using it as an actual challenge to the ToE. It has often been used just for comedic effect, which heavily relies on ignorance of the subject.

Last edited by PanTerra; 01-20-2016 at 01:09 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 01:08 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The specific reference to "guide" is the "helper" of 16"I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you." and "Guide" as in ""But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come."

"Book" refers to ANY written instructions or history or anything else that has been recorded. NOwhere is such a thing promised.
If I understand you correctly, we agree that not believing the Bible as written is evidence of a Christian's weak faith. Evolution is not mentioned there. In the Beginning...

Old 01-20-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
If I understand you correctly, we agree that not believing the Bible as written is evidence of a Christian's weak faith. Evolution is not mentioned there. In the Beginning...
Clearly you do NOT understand me. There is NO substantiation in the Bible or anywhere else that the Bible is to be taken as authority. The Bible itself names in morew than one place what the Guide is that God promised. Biblical authoritarians ask whether God is not capable of protectinbg the Bible, but the REAL question is why you would expect Him to fulfil a promise He NEVER MADE?

Old 01-20-2016, 01:51 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Hello all!

What do you expect? Religion, including christianity, thrives on ignorance. The 'why we still got monkeys if evolution is a fact' statements demonstrate a gross misunderstanding of evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I am in aw of God ,and revel in His work and patience .
Man thinks he is the center of attention and accountable to no one, totally irresponsible and floundering at ever turn completely ignoring the capacity God might provide him.
But he chooses stupid and self absorbed and rebellious at every opportunity .

God still stands and waits for the few that choose to seek Him, with respect and curiosity .
God does not rely on science, nor our puny technology, nor even the events that seem thousands of years in the making.
He can use them but they are not essential to His will .
I have witnessed many marvelous things God has done for me both of my asking and intervention beyond my knowledge and understanding.
Not just healing ,but in holding the impossible together for my sake, and keeping me safe , altering the weather, caring for me through some very lean times, and protecting me in some of the harshest environments , both social and physical .
There are many other numerous events others share I have knows reliable that God intervenes for them as well .
I would that you all would believe, but your hearts are hard and bent on sin, "Self govern" .
Admitting 'God' would shatter your whole lifestyles.
There is no advantage of being with out God , as a matter of fact I am one of those that have been doted on by God for a long time ,I don't know how I could live without Him ,and have absolutely no interest in finding out .

What I find confusing is that there are some very wealthy and influential people involved in Satan worship, and hate Christianity specifically very active atheist. this does not make any sense.
Wow, way to not address the OP at all. What does any of this have to do with his question?

Old 01-20-2016, 03:26 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Clearly you do NOT understand me. There is NO substantiation in the Bible or anywhere else that the Bible is to be taken as authority. The Bible itself names in morew than one place what the Guide is that God promised. Biblical authoritarians ask whether God is not capable of protectinbg the Bible, but the REAL question is why you would expect Him to fulfil a promise He NEVER MADE?
What are you talking about? What promise? Are we talking about the same thing?

Old 01-20-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? What promise? Are we talking about the same thing?
Apparently not. Look, you claim that the scripture is the authority for Christians and say that God is capable of protecting that Bible, but God NEVER promised to do so.

What He DID promise is the Spirit to be our guide. How hard is that?

Old 01-20-2016, 05:19 PM

1,333 posts, read 883,664 times
Quote:
Apparently not. Look, you claim that the scripture is the authority for Christians and say that God is capable of protecting that Bible, but God NEVER promised to do so.

What He DID promise is the Spirit to be our guide. How hard is that?
Okay, I hate to interrupt, but I wanna ask a few questions about this too.

So, God never promised to protect the Bible. Does that imply that God *didn't* protect it and therefore it is, if nothing else, potentially flawed?
If you agree with that, I know you already agree that the spirit is our guide. I don't understand how this works. If there's nothing to unify people, isn't it just a big free for all?
You can kind of imagine it: Maybe you're not a false profit, but everyone else's Jesus is telling them conflicting stories with what your Jesus is telling you, so you can't trust them. Which will inherently lead to strife and conflict.

It appears to just obscures the term "Christian" and make God a tool for political persuasion.
IE: "I know the Bible doesn't say this, but God told me personally, so just follow along." type stuff.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Okay, I hate to interrupt, but I wanna ask a few questions about this too.

So, God never promised to protect the Bible. Does that imply that God *didn't* protect it and therefore it is, if nothing else, potentially flawed?
If you agree with that, I know you already agree that the spirit is our guide. I don't understand how this works. If there's nothing to unify people, isn't it just a big free for all?
You can kind of imagine it: Maybe you're not a false profit, but everyone else's Jesus is telling them conflicting stories with what your Jesus is telling you, so you can't trust them. Which will inherently lead to strife and conflict.

It appears to just obscures the term "Christian" and make God a tool for political persuasion.
IE: "I know the Bible doesn't say this, but God told me personally, so just follow along." type stuff.
Let's just for one exchange of comments say that you have a really good point there.... How would that be different from 30,000 different denominations each saying "The Bible says this, and that means that we need to...(fill in 30,000 different interpretations)?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality