Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:42 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You know me, Katz. I accept irrationality but I do not fully understand it. You put your faith in a con man and an irrational story and I find it extremely puzzling because you are so intelligent and rational about so many things. But I would never ridicule or mock your sincerity. I am just genuinely puzzled by it.

I have to second Mystic's sentiment. Katz.... Awhile back when I was toying with the Idea of relocating to Utah after several trips out there (move still not 100% off the table) you where very informative and helpful with posts and possessed much intelligence, common sense and knowledge. You also post across many CD forums with valuable well thought out input.

But it is not just yourself, many Mormons I have met seem to possess these quality traits, but if you do even a modicum of study on the life of Joseph Smith and how he came about formulating the religion I do not see how any rational person could view him other than a purposeful con-man or delusional and insane.

I am sure this is one of the more common, repetitive query's posed to you and other Mormons but your take on it would be unique in that you declare yourself more of a liberal free thinking Mormon that welcomes challenges to keep you sharp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 06:02 PM

22,138 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
I have never done any such thing. But I do point out that what their religion tells them to believe about God is primitive, barbaric and absurd. That is not remotely the same thing. It is there in black and white, unless you do not think bashing babies heads upon rocks or splitting open pregnant women is barbaric.I follow and cite the many examples and characteristics of agape love as revealed by Jesus and I DO see them as worthwhile. You seem to prefer the barbaric descriptions of God in your religion. I cannot imagine why.
i have no desire or intention of discussion religion with you
we are discussing you taking responsibility for your own behavior on these boards: insult, ridicule, name-calling, derision, belittling of Jews.

not about holy books, not about religion, simply all about our very own thought, speech, and action towards each other on these boards. Verbal abuse includes not only name calling, insult, and derision; it also includes justifying, defending, rationalizing the abuse and blaming others for being the cause of it. You are doing all of these.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-25-2016 at 06:14 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 06:33 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
I have never done any such thing. But I do point out that what their religion tells them to believe about God is primitive, barbaric and absurd. That is not remotely the same thing. It is there in black and white, unless you do not think bashing babies heads upon rocks or splitting open pregnant women is barbaric.I follow and cite the many examples and characteristics of agape love as revealed by Jesus and I DO see them as worthwhile. You seem to prefer the barbaric descriptions of God in your religion. I cannot imagine why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i have no desire or intention of discussion religion with you
we are discussing you taking responsibility for your own behavior on these boards: insult, ridicule, name-calling, derision, belittling of Jews.
Now I am really tired of these personal attacks. YOU are the one abusing these boards and attacking ME. I have done none of the things you accuse me of and you cannot cite ANY examples. If you could the mods would have responded. Your oversensitivity and strong identification with what you believe is what turns my objective criticisms of the descriptions of your ancestors' beliefs about your God into insults.
Quote:
not about holy books, not about religion, simply all about our very own thought, speech, and action towards each other on these boards. Verbal abuse includes not only name calling, insult, and derision; it also includes justifying, defending, rationalizing the abuse and blaming others for being the cause of it. You are doing all of these.
Again, I am not doing anything of the sort. I am defending myself from YOUR personal attacks (which ARE definitely prohibited here). I should just report your attacks, but I have never been one to run to mommy. If you want to continue the discussion of beliefs and why yours are the correct ones, please do. Otherwise, stop personally attacking me for your imagined slights.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 01-25-2016 at 07:57 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 06:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Mystic - you also said this to me in the Christianity section in a thread regarding baptism:

Quote:
Who cares what sort of ritual nonsense you engage in when professing your belief in God and intent to follow Christ??? God couldn't possibly care as long as you do just that!!! Oh well, magical thinking and superstition dies hard indeed.
Now this was on a thread in which the tone of conversation had been very congenial among most participants, of various stances on baptism. I had not been debating anything with you - in fact, I don't recall ever having a conversation with you. I was not even sharing my own personal beliefs about whether or not baptism "saves" anyone, and the next thing I know, this sort of inflammatory verbiage is thrown in my direction.

Now - it's not like I'm not used to inflammatory verbiage on this forum or on the internet in general, but please don't deny using it yourself.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I have done none of the things you accuse me of and you cannot cite ANY examples. ...Your oversensitivity and strong identification with what you believe is what turns my objective criticisms of the descriptions of your ancestors' beliefs about your God into insults.Again, I am not doing anything of the sort. I am defending myself from YOUR personal attacks ....
OK, since you asked here are a few recent examples:

Quote:
The jews were not only wrong about who to look for and missed ... they believe and follow the hateful, barbaric and petty OT God ...They have NO credibility given that.
Quote:
There is only one God, but what the Jews believed about Him was completely wrong and barbaric. ...It was all downhill from there.
Quote:
... it is just silly superstition based on primitive recordings.
Quote:
it is you and those "Obeyers", like Katz and so many others who do NOT seem to understand our loving God. Obedience was needed during the Schoolmaster stage of our species' evolution. But it is to be discarded when we reach spiritual maturity ... obedience plays an important role for many. But it is NOT the desired state of mind. Those who stay in it fail to develop properly
Quote:
...the Jews completely missed the point of the schoolmaster laws and still do.
Quote:
You are wrong about this also. ... you Jews keep looking for the wrong things in the wrong places and miss the boat completely. You have been wrong for over 2000+ years....
Quote:
...Being obedient to a primitive and barbaric set of rules ....
Quote:
The Jews believe in a megalomaniacal, genocidal, egotistical, War God plagued with human psychological weaknesses. ...Unfortunately, the primitive and barbaric meme of a wrathful, vengeful War God .... I cannot comprehend how anyone could possibly claim to love the God described in the OT ... It boggles my mind.
Quote:
...Our ignorant primitive ancestors were so steeped in the belief in a wrathful God who needed to be appeased by blood sacrifices ...That is NOT a God who loves anybody but Himself.
Quote:
If this means you converted TO Judaism, I question your values in accepting such a savage and barbarous blood sacrifice demanding War God.
Quote:
..the savage and barbaric beliefs about God from the OT...they have perpetuated the ancient ignorance and superstition of the Jews into the 21st century, hardly a success story.
Quote:
They are so savage and barbaric that there is no compatibility with the God revealed

Old 01-25-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
OK, since you asked here are a few recent examples:
Those are ALL statements of absolute truth as documented in your own writings. Feel free to explain how all that barbarity and brutality in the descriptions of your God and His actions and demands are in any way NOT barbaric and brutal. Blood sacrifices of innocent creatures and stoning of offenders??? Come on. How is that kind of thinking NOT primitive and barbaric???? Jealousy is a human psychological weakness and your God supposedly proudly proclaimed in at the top of His commandments. Demanding blind obedience to a plethora of very specific rules instead of a general principle of agape love for all. There is no question the Jewish God is a barbaric God compared with the God of agape love revealed by Christ.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Those are ALL statements of absolute truth .
we are not talking religion. we are discussing your offensive behavior on these boards. Which you continue to justify, defend, and rationalize. All the while saying:
Quote:
.... But I would never ridicule or mock your sincerity. ....

Old 01-25-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Those are ALL statements of absolute truth as documented in your own writings. Feel free to explain how all that barbarity and brutality in the descriptions of your God and His actions and demands are in any way NOT barbaric and brutal. Blood sacrifices of innocent creatures and stoning of offenders??? Come on. How is that kind of thinking NOT primitive and barbaric???? Jealousy is a human psychological weakness and your God supposedly proudly proclaimed in at the top of His commandments. Demanding blind obedience to a plethora of very specific rules instead of a general principle of agape love for all. There is no question the Jewish God is a barbaric God compared with the God of agape love revealed by Christ.
Quote:
we are not talking religion. we are discussing your offensive behavior on these boards. Which you continue to justify, defend, and rationalize. All the while saying:
You personally attack me and then refuse to address my defense. I used the truth as my defense for my statements and you simply duck it as if it has no relevance. Expressing truth is not ridiculing or mocking.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Mystic - you also said this to me in the Christianity section in a thread regarding baptism:
Now this was on a thread in which the tone of conversation had been very congenial among most participants, of various stances on baptism. I had not been debating anything with you - in fact, I don't recall ever having a conversation with you. I was not even sharing my own personal beliefs about whether or not baptism "saves" anyone, and the next thing I know, this sort of inflammatory verbiage is thrown in my direction.
Now - it's not like I'm not used to inflammatory verbiage on this forum or on the internet in general, but please don't deny using it yourself.
Okay. It was not worded very tactfully, but it was my opinion about how and why you believe in God and choose to follow Christ. I may be becoming saturated with the contrariness of the forum and reacting emotionally. When people I hold in high esteem start reacting negatively to my posts it is probably time to take a break.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Okay. It was not worded very tactfully, but it was my opinion about how and why you believe in God and choose to follow Christ. I may be becoming saturated with the contrariness of the forum and reacting emotionally. When people I hold in high esteem start reacting negatively to my posts it is probably time to take a break.

No offense (and I mean that) but I don't think you know how and why I believe in God and choose to follow Christ. I haven't discussed much about my personal religious beliefs on this forum. Maybe you are confusing me with someone else?

Anyway, I understand how the negativity of this forum and the internet in general can get a person down. Sometimes I have to go back and delete my snarkier comments because I realize I shouldn't lower myself to that sort of behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality